Sign in to follow this  
Brendan Calkins

how many fps do you get?

Frames locked at 20.Never really look anymore.It flies.Andy
20? it's quite tight. Are you using very demanding add ons or it just suits your system?

20? it's quite tight. Are you using very demanding add ons or it just suits your system?
Nothing demanding.Cant be bothered to fiddle anymore. 20 is fine with me ,its smooth ,it works ,i fly.Cheers to you Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Nothing demanding.Cant be bothered to fiddle anymore. 20 is fine with me ,its smooth ,it works ,i fly.Cheers to youAndy
affirm :). Simplify and fly.G'd day

25 locked, but I am using 7 screens.In MP locking to 25 is best, since fs9 tends to send position and data between every frame, and high fps seems to clutter the servers.

This is a very well timed topic as I was going to start a very similar one. What I was going to say was that I have had FS9 for quite a few years now and in my 'young, free and single' days I spent a lot of time on it but now time has moved on I don't seem to have a lot of time now, I spend more time tweaking and adding/downloading programmes to my flight sim rather than flying it.But there was something I have only just learnt after all this time, and this is going to sound really dumb but after all these years I never knew how many FPS I was getting. I always read form othere other people writing in about how many they were getting and I always wondered just how they knew and I didn't, until I just discovered by pressing shift and z! Doh!You learn something new everyday! Anyway, what I was going to ask and I think it's kind of been answered in this topic, is that I always have my FPS set as unlimited and my flight sim seemed to be ok, that is until I discovered just how many FPS i was getting with all my add-ons, AI aircraft, REX etc and I was shocked that it was struggling to get above 15.So my question is this, does it make much difference if I leave my settiing as unlimited or should I 'lock' them at a much lower rate?

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Packard Bell imedia S3210. AMD Athlon II X 3 425 Processor 2.70 GHz. 3 GB RAM. External hard drive 1TB. FS9.1, Ground Environment, Ultimate Terrain Europe, REX, Zinertek's Ultimate Water Advanced & Ultimate Night Environment 2010, WOAI, MAIW, AES, ODG Project.

If you can not sustain the maximum refresh rate of your monitor, in my case 60hz so 60fps then you should always lock. IF you can sustain 60 FPS on a 60 hz monitor nothing will ever look smoother...So in your case mark I would definitely lock it down....-P

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

The age old FPS discussion lives on!I found the following link very interesting. In the comparison, try to track the lower right corner of the box with your eye as it makes a single revolution:http://www.boallen.c...ps-compare.htmlI must say that 60 FPS is smoother than 30 FPS.
Great comparison!!!! :( im%20Not%20Worthy.gifI have always said 60FPS on a 60 Hz monitor is the ultimate simming experience if you can achieve it... That is my EXACT experience in the sim as well... 15-25 FPS, I notice the stuttering horribly but perhaps that is because I am used to 60FPS which does not have a single stutter anywhere so even 30 FPS which is MUCH smoother still results in a noticeable stutter for me, especially in critical areas of flight...I know others say, 20 or 25 FPS is great but once you get used to 60 anything else provides an immediately noticeable stutter and despite what others argue (to me in my opinion (insert disclaimer here) the difference is as visible as the bouncing box in your example... Funny thing is when I used to fly locked at 36 FPS I always thought it was butter smooth, now I go back and compare it is literally night and day.Edit, thank you again for that link, it has always been impossible to put what I see and experience into words but there is no way to debate your link. Regardless of what you "think" you are getting, 15 FPS, 30 FPS and 60 FPS are very different visual perceptions or experiences... Edited by psolk

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Great comparison!!!!I have always said 60FPS on a 60 Hz monitor is the ultimate simming experience if you can achieve it... That is my EXACT experience in the sim as well... 15-25 FPS, I notice the stuttering horribly but perhaps that is because I am used to 60FPS which does not have a single stutter anywhere so even 30 FPS which is MUCH smoother still results in a noticeable stutter for me, especially in critical areas of flight...
Thanks for the comments!I suspect this is why my AI aircraft appear choppy when viewed from the side on take-off. I used to think that MS plotted AI take-off movements using large increments to increase performance in other areas. After all, there's so much to do, in so little time!

Thanks for the comments!I suspect this is why my AI aircraft appear choppy when viewed from the side on take-off. I used to think that MS plotted AI take-off movements using large increments to increase performance in other areas. After all, there's so much to do, in so little time!
For me it wasn't just AI on takeoff, even at altitude an AI plane passing the other way would always have at least the tiniest jerkiness to it, sometime worse and they would literally going stuttering by with no fluidity at all... Now, they pass completely fluidly, contrails smoothly forming behind and they are gone in the blink of an eye just like the rw... The immersion level when everything is perfectly fluid is beyond compare. Again, i know others will argue but you can't deny that link when you can see the difference between 15,30 and 60 FPS. If your monitor is updating 4x and your screen is updating 1x or 2x in that 4x refresh you will get jerkiness or loss of fluidity. If your screen and monitor are both updating 1-1 and are in perfect sync, no loss of fluidity.... It is one of the things that boggles me about FSX and people claiming it is smooth at 15 FPS. Unless there is some advanced interlacing going on then 15 FPS is 15 FPS regardless and will NEVER be smooth... Perhaps also some peoples eyes are much more sensitive to it than others...

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Perhaps also some peoples eyes are much more sensitive to it than others
This is obviously true, Paul. nodding-1.gif

This is obviously true, Paul. nodding-1.gif
yes, to me the difference here: http://www.boallen.c...ps-compare.html is night and day :Nerd:As long as we are all happy with what we have, that is all that matters :( :( Edited by psolk

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Sorry to ask this and it will probably sound really stupid so apologies in advance, but I was wondering why is it, or maybe it isn't, I don't know, but if I am getting say for example 20 fps, why do I lock the slider down from unlimited to that amount? If I have it set as unlimited but I am only getting 20 fps then what difference does it make if I alter the setting? Or does it really make a difference?I have not yet had chance to experiment as I have just got back from work and it was something I was thinking about!MarkP.S. Sorry again if this is a really silly question!

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Packard Bell imedia S3210. AMD Athlon II X 3 425 Processor 2.70 GHz. 3 GB RAM. External hard drive 1TB. FS9.1, Ground Environment, Ultimate Terrain Europe, REX, Zinertek's Ultimate Water Advanced & Ultimate Night Environment 2010, WOAI, MAIW, AES, ODG Project.

Hey Mark,not silly at all,The reasoning (as I understand it) is to set the right expectations for your CPU/GPU. If you can only achieve 20FPS and lock to 20 FPS that is what your system is going to work to achieve. If you set unlimited you will start to get big FPS fluctuations as your cpu/gpu and FPS spike up and down if you can not maintain the refresh rate of your monitor. If you set 30fps for example but can only achieve 20FPs your system will always be working to achieve 30. When it can't it will start to lose LOD/Quality to try and get up to 30...So ideally you set your machine to what it can handle to achieve maximum clarity and definition so your system is not struggling to achieve something it can not.Hope that helps,-paul

Edited by psolk

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Ah, thanks Paul. Now I understand, that makes sense. I will tinker around with the settings and see what works.Cheers!