Sign in to follow this  
mgh

An alternative opinion

The blurb states the obvious in terms of current gaming software. Now we all need to 'get over it' and move on. Will I buy Flight? Sure enough. Will I enjoy it? Possibly. On the other hand the P3D option still exists if I want to flagellate myself in a technical FS. BTW Flight Unlimited (while very limited in geographic scope) was my favorite sim ever.CheersJim

Edited by jjjallen

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

"Yes, we used to have to manually plug cables into switchboards to connect phone calls, but automation and streamlining are generally good things, and if the worst that happens in Microsoft Flight is you have to flip some extra switches and hidden levers to put the thing in "ultra-realism" mode, well, you are still hardcore enough to dig around in the settings menu, right?"Dead to right! Nailed it!Thanks for posting this!Kind regards,

Will I buy Flight? Sure enough.
HelloThe main Flight! program is a Free download , no option to buy it.After that just purchase whatever DLC that takes your fancy to build your own flightsim world.Or so I have heard :(

HelloThe main Flight! program is a Free download , no option to buy it.After that just purchase whatever DLC that takes your fancy to build your own flightsim world.Or so I have heard :(
Exactly. Why should they build what people won't pay them for? Why pay for what you don't want? If we want it, they will build it to our satisfaction, and then we buy it, whatever it is. It's the perfect flight sim model for this generation, less human imperfections, both ours and theirs. If we can tolerate each other (read: respect and treat decently), and work through the problems that will crop up (MS and us), we may have a beautiful long term relationship! :LMAO:Kind regards, Edited by SpiritFlyer

You guys seem to forget that you did not think we were the target audience. As such you all assume that the target audience will want what we want. What if all they want is missions and gold coin chases? Do you think MS will then start developing high detail airports for the few of us who would buy them?You can't have it both ways. Either we are part of the target - in which case we should have had FSXI with misisons and a new interface right at the start - or we are not and we get Flight.The fact is that people who want jets will not buy any scenery until said jets are available and they won't buy any jets unless the scenery they are interested in is available. So this could be a catch-22 if MS is waiting to see what sells.

edit: nevermind I should stop reading this forums

Edited by anthony31

www.antsairplanes.com

edit: nevermind I should stop reading this forums
shouldn't we all? :)

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

shouldn't we all? :)
LOL. I think I will take a nice holiday and come back when Flight is actually released.

www.antsairplanes.com

Catch-22 indeed. The third party developers (in this case PMDG) have stated that the primary reason they will not put up with the new FLIGHT freemium model is they don't trust MS projection on sales and revenue numbers. Developers won't risk making new aircraft for the FLIGHT platform until they see the numbers are there, market for hardcore simmers on FLIGHT is large enough to warrant it, and that it makes overall economic and business sense to do so. The developers have backed away from this new arrangment and also been vocal about this. This makes the simming community hesistant to take FLIGHT seriously unless and until developers change their minds and start producing some quality aircraft for FLIGHT. The more the hard core simmers stay away from FLIGHT, the more the developers won't even consider moving to it and thus stay entrenched to the status quo which is FSX, P3D, and maybe even XPX. FLIGHT is going to end up an island by itself...All of this is pointless until MS FLIGHT includes more than just Hawaii... if MS is waiting for the third party dev and simming community to make the first move, it will be a long wait indeed. If there is no SDK, no ATC, no option to DLC ATP, and also no third party devs willing to risk it and jump on board, FLIGHT for the hard core simming community, will be DOA.I hope MS realize the error of its ways and release a SDK shortly after FLIGHT comes out. Lets see which side blinks first.
Can you name them all?

LOL. I think I will take a nice holiday and come back when Flight is actually released.
Yep, that would be the smart thing to do, but I'm having too much fun trying to solve the Flight puzzle as info on the beta is being leaked all over the Internet. A few beta testers are even sharing things openly on Flight's very own Facebook page. :)

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I think the developers will stick their tow in the water with some type of app (add on) and test the waters. If it produces sales, they will stick a foot in the water. If it produces sales, the leg and so on until they are up to their eyeballs in sales. That is if the sales are there. Lets see, free down load. That will draw a a lot of interest in flying. Add on wise, I would hope they are interesting enough to warrant purchasing. If Flight, regardless of the tokens we so hate but love to chit chat about, provides excellent graphics, easy frames, bug free online, and top notch realistic add on's that appeal to hardest of the hardcore simmer, it should do well. They may have a lot of goodies ready for the app store, who knows? What I am seeing here is a pre judgement of a product, untried, and to be honest, who here really knows how hard core it will be? For all we know they may have all the hard core features ready to sell as add on's, thus making it a hard core sim right from the get go for those with a few bucks. Never say never. Until I get the sim in my hands, flying it and trying hard ore add on's, I am going to keep positive about it. We are not offered many new sims and as soon as one arrives, it is spit upon before the box gets open. And I hate to say it, but I allowed myself to be cynical, thus guilty as charged. Watching leaked beta's on Ytube of aircraft collecting tokens didn't make me feel warm and fuzzy. I would rather see a good working example of ATC and air traffic. Anyways, we will know a lot more by the spring.

Edited by drumsonly2002

This is how I see the PC gaming industry will solve the piracy problem. Make the base game free then charge for DLC or subscription. By going the freemium route, MS FLIGHT not only deters most piracy, but also cuts out the retailer middleman and eliminates the aftermarket reselling. Instead of Best Buy, Wal-Mart or Amazon LLC taking a cut of the revenues, MS ownes the entire vertical chain. Since it is DLC freemium model, you can't sell or resell the game when you get bored of it, likewise that also means no one is going to be buying it at bargin bins or reduced pricing. Only by doing these things could Microsoft make the microtransaction model work. FLIGHT is also intended to eliminate the third party retailers, companies like Aerosoft, Flight1, etc days are numbered when FLIGHT becomes successful with its online presence and digital distribution store-front, forcing all third party dev to sell their wares through FLIGHT's own App store, essentially cannibalizing the third-party ecosystem that made Flight Simulator the franchise that it was. At the end of the day, its all about profit and control for MS. But for us, if FLIGHT is fun, we will put up with that, if not, then we won't. In any case, it is interesting to see how this plays out.
Newsflash, this was from a year ago... http://forum.avsim.net/topic/323466-a-new-lease-on-performance/page__p__1909780__hl__alainneedle1__fromsearch__1#entry1909780

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.