Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

STEC autopilot

The way I use the autopilot is to flip the FD/AP switch one notch (with the left mouse button)to the FD position, while on the gound. Select initial target altitude on the G500 and set theheading bug to the initial heading (usually runway heading).On the STEC (which should read RDY) push the HDG button and the VS button.Now take off.Once airborne and wheels up, click on the FD/AP switch one more time to moveit to the AP position. The autopilot will now fly the plane and you can adjust VS and other settingsfrom there.To turn the AP off, right click on the switch.The STEC autopilot is modeled quite accurately, but there are little thingslike the RDY indication staying on when the AP is engaged, that do not match the real thing.I've made some modifications to the autopilot which you may want to try (only if you do notlike the default!) If so, send me a PM with your email address.

Bert

Thanks for the tip, Bert. I would like to have your modification to the AP. PM on the way.I noticed one thing with the AP. When I engage it, it keeps the plane nose high when holding altitude. I can't figure out if it's me doing something wrong or a problem with the AP itself. If you have any ideas, I would be grateful.Cheers,Fritz

Guest BeaverDriver

Check your power settings Fritz. If you are keeping it slowed up (and remember not to exceed 170 KIAS), then yeah, your angle of attack will be higher, and with that long nose, you'll really feel it. Also at very high altitudes you need a bit higher angle because of the thinner air, but it shouldn't be too great - a couple of degrees or so.

Bert, let me begin by commending your input of the FDE. This is a joy to fly, although I have not flown the Malibu (RW). The caravan had some odd characteristics when retarding the power lever plus a few more which make the aircraft not as enjoyable as this one (the nose would fall over as if there was no more wind movinig over the wings). If the King Air to be released is anything like this then I will be certain to put her in my hangar.I will be sending you a PM for the mod. Again thank you for your input, and of course to Carenado for a nice replica of the Malibu. Brings back memories of the Flight1 model.

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

Check your power settings Fritz. If you are keeping it slowed up (and remember not to exceed 170 KIAS), then yeah, your angle of attack will be higher, and with that long nose, you'll really feel it. Also at very high altitudes you need a bit higher angle because of the thinner air, but it shouldn't be too great - a couple of degrees or so.
Ah, OK, I see. The nose is only about 2° high. I should have realised that but I'm not very knowledgeable about how things are at higher altitudes, I mostly fly around 5000-8000 AGL. This airplane is a whole new departure for me. Thanks, Glenn.Cheers,Fritz

Guest BeaverDriver

That actually sounds pretty typical if you are up in the mid twenties. You will see it more in that airplane because of the long snout on it, so it sounds like all is good there :).

Bert, let me begin by commending your input of the FDE.
Just to set the record straight, Bernt Stolle is responsible for the (excellent) FDE. :(

Bert

Amen to the reference of Bernt's excellent FDE.Thank you Bert for you help as well.

Edited by dusty_sourdough

Bert, thanks for the correction, but thanks for your input as well. Bernt, my apologies for the mis-spelling of your name and mis-taken identity. Shows I did not get my names in check prior to posting. But I will re-emphasize what I stated earlier:"Let me begin by commending your input of the FDE. This is a joy to fly, although I have not flown the Malibu (RW). The caravan had some odd characteristics when retarding the power lever plus a few more which make the aircraft not as enjoyable as this one (the nose would fall over as if there was no more wind movinig over the wings). If the King Air to be released is anything like this then I will be certain to put her in my hangar."

Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip

Guest bstolle

Hey Simeon,No problem, and Bert and Bernt is tricky. Without Bert many Carenado planes wouldn't be as enjoyable to navigate with or to put into auto flight!!That both of us doing freeware mods as well doesn't make things easier, :wink:I'm already planning to re-engine the 208 so the 'nose over' effect will be gone.Itis essential that a PT6 simulation creates the enormous amount of drag and negative torque at idle, but as you can see on the Malibu, it's not impossible to achive without cheating.Of course the C90 will be as good (most probably even better) as the Malibu because I have even more detailed sources.

Edited by bstolle

Bernt,Good to hear, I fully understand, having being a part of the majestic Dash 8 projects, I know exactly what you meant. Again I tip my hat to both you and Bert for your dedication, in making Carenado birds more enjoyable.Looking forward to the C90

Banner_MJC8.png

Guest bstolle

Ah, the Dash8. Loved to fly the 100 IRL (even nicer than the Dash7) , the 300 wasn't as great as the -100. Didn't know that you were part of the Majestic Dash8 team!

Edited by bstolle

Good to know that there are some 100/300 RW pilots in the forums. I agree the 300 is not as much fun (it is really a stretched 100 with bigger engines) however the 200 was the workhorse of the 3 types (100/200/300) 100 frame with 123 De-rated engines. I would love to see a steam cockpit version of the 100/200 released, not in the plans for Majestic at this time though. Not too sure what PMDG has in store for us in time to come.

Banner_MJC8.png

Hello guys,I have observe the following problem:After take off and activating the AP everything went normal but after a couple of minutes the AP and the GPS530 went back off and it looks like a reset....I have only a couple of letters in the STEC display which looks like similar a kind of reboot. I need to switch off the AP first and then need to put him back on, same with GPS530 where the screen is black just with the black screen.Any idea where the error is?Thanks in advance!CheersMark