Sign in to follow this  
bobrbend

Best Mesh

Posting this here because folks here usually have all the bells and whistles.I got FS Global from Santa, but wonder if its the best. I am flying all over the world and some products seem to require a zillion pieces to cover the globe.Any guidance would be appreciated.Thanks.Dan Cole

Dan Cole

FSGenesis is my go to. Great coverage, minimal artifacts, great resolution, very accurate. 10m mesh for a few countries.For instance:http://www.fsgenesis...tegory_Code=NAXandhttp://www.fsgenesis...egory_Code=NXTX25% off, too!

Edited by ZachLW

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Dan, I also use FS Global 2010....I found it works best with a "clean" install of FSX....I wiped everything out, reinstalled FSX, installed FSGlobal and then all my other scenery....flying over the Alps, Rockies, etc the terrain is now marvellous....there are a few well documented issues with some conflicts where you get a wall of earth right down the middle of the runway, etc....but there are ways to fix it.All in all, I think it is great value and a solid product

Can FSGenesis be used in combination with UTX and GEX? Or would it just be overkill?
They're all different things. If you were viewing them sideways, they would look like this.GEX = TexturesUTX = Land ClassesFSGenesis or FS Global 2010= The skeleton, the mesh.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

They're all different things. If you were viewing them sideways, they would look like this.GEX = TexturesUTX = Land ClassesFSGenesis or FS Global 2010= The skeleton, the mesh.
Interesting. What's the correct installation order. I've got UTX, GEX, Scenery Tech and now FS Global.Thanks.Dan Cole

Dan Cole

Interesting. What's the correct installation order. I've got UTX, GEX, Scenery Tech and now FS Global.
Hey Dan,The Mesh can be installed any time. I have FSG and created a manual install with all the files in one folder. It's added via the scenery library which makes reinstalling it simple. Not sure though on FS Global's options for install though.As for UTX and GEX. Those don't really have a "Must install in this order" way, but since GEX does have UTX enhancements, I have my own instructions I wrote that point that out and tell me (remind myself) to install UTX first.I install UTX, patch it with any updates, and follow Nick. N's settings for it. Looks like I still haven't restored my favorites so can't link you to his settings right now since I'm in a bit of a rush, but should be easy to find.After I have UTX patched and all its settings set, I install GEX and then its patchesupdates. Then I run the GEX interface which is what has the options for installing the extra UTX enhancements.I go back and forth on the Mesh. I bought it many moons ago and there were lots of bugs back then where a lot of airports were sunk in plateaus. Those were later fixed but I normally still make it a habit of checking my installation at various stages. After UTXGEX, I normally fire up FSX at KLWM (just my choice) on rw 05. I choose it because of it's front hill and river (and because I live near there so used it for a realism check). I take a couple top down screenshots, then add FSGenesis in the scenery library and move it so it's right above "Addon Scenery". Being that it's the mesh, you don't want it above other payware scenery for land class or textures, airports, etc. I take a couple comparison shots or just alt+enter and compare what I have to my earlier taken screenshots. That step isn't something you need to do, just what I've got in the habit of doing to be sure my scenery library has it set correctly.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Dan, I also use FS Global 2010....I found it works best with a "clean" install of FSX....I wiped everything out, reinstalled FSX, installed FSGlobal and then all my other scenery....flying over the Alps, Rockies, etc the terrain is now marvellous....there are a few well documented issues with some conflicts where you get a wall of earth right down the middle of the runway, etc....but there are ways to fix it.All in all, I think it is great value and a solid product
Where do I find "the ways to fix it."Thanks,Dan Cole

Dan Cole