Sign in to follow this  
etheris

Flying the ICON A5 is like a dream within a dream!

The much hyped sports car with wings ICON A5 is going into production and will be unit cost of $139,000 USD (plus adjustment for inflation) and you need a Sport Pilot License which will set you back another $5,000The is a bit out of reach for the average Joe casual gamer, and yes even the typical Jane hardcore simmer...So, as disappointed as I am in the FLIGHT fiasco, I was still looking forward to flying the simulated ICON A5 in Microsoft's newly announced FLIGHT. It would not exactly be like flying the real-life ICON A5, but considering that the real-life plane costs $139,000 and the virtual ICON A5 in the FLIGHT simulator game is FREE, well that is about as close to "AS REAL AS IT GETS" as I'm going to come.msflight.jpghttp://www.iconaircr...soft_Flight.pdfProblem is, FLIGHT is not out yet. I applied for the beta but was not selected by Microsoft. I suppose all those ranting emails I sent to msflight@microsoft.com didn't help my prospects nor increase my odds of being selected... So what's a guy to do?I kept searching on their site for more material with the hope that perhaps there would be a rental for the ICON A5, didn't find that but did come across a radio controlled RC replica scale model that ICON was selling on their website in conjuction with Horizon Hobby Partner.rcmodel.jpghttp://store.iconair...5-rc-bind-n-flyI got all excited for nothing. I was all ready to shell out $280 USD for this cute little ICON A5 rc flying Honda when I noticed that ICON Aircraft got word from their manufacter that they will be out of stock until at least the end of the month. Just when I was about to give up all hope, I scrolled down a bit more and saw that ICON officially recommends the Phoenix R/C Pro Simulator Software to simulate the rc ICON A5 for those who are impatiently waiting on their model replica.http://www.phoenix-s....com/models.aspiconA5_preview.jpgBut then I realized... what in the HECK am I doing trying to purchase a rc simulator, to simulate the remote control scale model replica version of the ICON A5, just to simulate the experience of flying the virtual ICON A5 in Microsoft's new FLIGHT (but not simulator) GAME, which itself was meant to simulate the actual Real Life physical real ICON A5?I'd be simulating a simulator of a simulator? I feel like I'm in limbo.

Edited by etheris

I'm thinking about adding the Icon to my RC airplane stable. Looks cool

It's a simulator. It has the game content for those that wish to use it.
Bingo. That's how I see MS Flight and MS FSX (Reno racing missions - a game or a simulator??)

Bingo. That's how I see MS Flight and MS FSX (Reno racing missions - a game or a simulator??)
Yep. Flight in its free version has extended the game content further, but that alone shouldn't scare us off for now. Apparently they have also improved flight dynamics and more things relevant for us:
The aircraft models are stunningly detailed and are authentically modeled with new modular systems for both aerodynamics and physical systems. Stalls and spins, including snap rolls, are tunable per aircraft. There are also tunable ground dynamics for tires and water operations, fuselage drag for proper slips and prop-wash over control surfaces for more precise aerobatics and ground handling.
(http://flyawaysimulation.com/news/4317/microsoft-flight-behind-scenes-at-microsoft-studios/).What we don't know yet is the extent of their downloadable landscape scenery, the quality of their add-on aircraft systems, and the like. But for now it's all speculation. Given from what I've seen already about a beta video about the checklists with realism settings at full, I have the impression the planes are modeled to greater detail than they were in FSX.Pricing and value remains to be seen, but if they get it right, I'm mildly optimistic about Flight. At least as far as VFR flying is concerned.

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

I have the Icon A5 BnF version, connected up to an DX8.. It is a good little plane for those lazy days flying off the snow or lake.

Hello and thanks. But this is not officially endorsed by ICON aircraft company, is the flight dynamics accurate or any good?
Hello. To be honest I couldn't really comment on the accuracy or how good the flight dynamics are as I don't know how a real Icon A5 flies, sorry.

Hello. To be honest I couldn't really comment on the accuracy or how good the flight dynamics are as I don't know how a real Icon A5 flies, sorry.
Well, aside from the test pilots at Icon, neither does anyone else!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.