Sign in to follow this  
enji

How can I make my FSX experience better?

Orbx is doing UK England this year.http://www.orbxsyste...__fromsearch__1
England? Who cares about England when they're also doing Scotland?! :) Just kidding!I came across this news a while ago. Safe to say that I was extremely pleased with the announcement! Though I doubt we will be seeing it any time soon, unfortunately! It should be fantastic. I've never tried the Orbx scenery though I've seen plenty of screenshots and videos. I wonder how much of the region they will include? Whatever it is, it will be a huge difference.
How about some new hardware? Do you have a yoke, pedals, TPM, Saitek or Goflight panels? Expensive but nice. How about flying online with a Club, google UKVGA or CIX VFR for free lessons, or have a look in the multiplayer forum for DTP, or try flying out of Shoreham or Cardiff on VATSIM, very helpful VATSIM controllers there.
Pedals are something I havn't got, actually! I've got a Saitek x52 and a Saitek Pro flight yoke with 2 throttle quadrants.Never thought of an online club before. Might be worth a look!Thanks for your replies guys.

Guest jahman

You really do want FSUIPC4 (<-- buy!): One of the best features (and it has many!) is that you can make dirfferent joystick/button/switch/key assignments (and calibrations) per aircraft, and they will load automatically as you load the aircraft. Another feature is it will prevent many G3D.dll CTDs realted to complex scenery. John Cook's excellent FSUIPC Guide will help you assign and calibrate axis, and then of course there's the FSUIPC4 Documentation Set (read the User Guide, then For Advanced Users) should you want to take a look at the full list of features. Then there's never having the battery run out on your aircraft, wind and temeprature gradient smoothing, joystick spike filtering, etc., etc..Yet another advantage is the use of LUA Scripts that allow you to use LINDA freeware, a terriffic add-on for the PMDG 737-NGX (and other aircraft).You might also want FSGU - Europe and Africa DEM - Digital Elevation Mesh to improve mountains etc. (with up to 2m resolution for that ultimate VFR experience) that includes the AFM - Airport Flattening Meshes tool to correct wrong elevations and meshes around airports.Also, the A2A Simulations B-17 with Accu-Sim is a must have for that old warbird experience. Includes a fully functional Sperry C-1 Autopilot. The VC has UV night lighting with watch-face style green fluorescence illuminating on intrument faces, indicator needles and switches. It's simply stunning! See

.Finally Ivy Bridge CPUs (the 22 nm die shrink of Sandy Bridge, but implemented with Tri-Gate technology and PCIe 3 with 2x the BW of PCIe 2) are just a few months away in April 2012, so that IMHO would be the moment to upgrade your MB and CPU.Cheers,- jahman. Edited by jahman

Overclock: YesNew GPU: NoIf you are into new scenery, get Orbx's Pacific North West scenery andfind a favorite airplane to go fly around that part of the world.Or, fly out of Tampa/Miami and fly to the Caribbean..or, fly out of Zurich and cross the Alps to the Riviera..Lots of options..

Bert

You really do want FSUIPC4 (<-- buy!): One of the best features (and it has many!) is that you can make dirfferent joystick/button/switch/key assignments (and calibrations) per aircraft, and they will load automatically as you load the aircraft. Another feature is it will prevent many G3D.dll CTDs realted to complex scenery. John Cook's excellent FSUIPC Guide will help you assign and calibrate axis, and then of course there's the FSUIPC4 Documentation Set (read the User Guide, then For Advanced Users) should you want to take a look at the full list of features. Then there's never having the battery run out on your aircraft, wind and temeprature gradient smoothing, joystick spike filtering, etc., etc..Yet another advantage is the use of LUA Scripts that allow you to use LINDA freeware, a terriffic add-on for the PMDG 737-NGX (and other aircraft).You might also want FSGU - Europe and Africa DEM - Digital Elevation Mesh to improve mountains etc. (with up to 2m resolution for that ultimate VFR experience) that includes the AFM - Airport Flattening Meshes tool to correct wrong elevations and meshes around airports.Also, the A2A Simulations B-17 with Accu-Sim is a must have for that old warbird experience. Includes a fully functional Sperry C-1 Autopilot. The VC has UV night lighting with watch-face style green fluorescence illuminating on intrument faces, indicator needles and switches. It's simply stunning! See
.Finally Ivy Bridge CPUs (the 22 nm die shrink of Sandy Bridge, but implemented with Tri-Gate technology and PCIe 3 with 2x the BW of PCIe 2) are just a few months away in April 2012, so that IMHO would be the moment to upgrade your MB and CPU.Cheers,- jahman.
Thanks for the reply.You've gave me much thought about the new Intel processors.. any idea what the price points will be?A mesh addon is something i've not got.. perhaps it's time to take the plunge! :)And that aircraft addon is brilliant.
Overclock: YesNew GPU: NoIf you are into new scenery, get Orbx's Pacific North West scenery andfind a favorite airplane to go fly around that part of the world.Or, fly out of Tampa/Miami and fly to the Caribbean..or, fly out of Zurich and cross the Alps to the Riviera..Lots of options..
Flew out of Miami quite a few times!Zurich airport is an add-on I don't have though.. Would be a good (new) destination.

Hi there,I've been using FSX for a good 2 years now - however it's not been touched in the last 4 months due to getting a bit bored by some of its issues and because I was waiting until Flight came out. However, since the recent announcements on Flight, waiting for it might be a waste of time (although i'm still hopeful).Anyway, my PC rig is as follows:i7 930 @ 2.8ghz6GB ramGTX 460 768mbrunning FSX on a WD velociraptorFirst question - i'm planning to overclock my CPU which I should be able to get 3.8Ghz quite easily (my bro got the same results comfortably). I'm also planning on changing the GTX 460 for a 560 TI / GTX 570. How much of an improvement to the FPS would this make? I know the only sort of answers I can expect are along the lines of slight improvement / huge improvement, but that would help me in deciding if it will be worth the money. I get FPS issues at the moment using some Aerosoft airports or after a few hours flying which is why I'm planning on a hardware upgrade.My second question is - being that there are some 1GB models of the GTX 560TI and 1GB models of the GTX 570 that 'only' have 1GB of memory - would there be a noticeable improvement going with a card with more memory for FSX? I'm mainly talking about the ATI card HD 6950 with 2GB memory (do 'recent' ATI cards still have problems with FSX?), though I would be interested if more memory did make a decent improvement for FSX.My last question is - I've bought/got quite a fair amount of addons over the time. The main ones being:PMDG 737 NGXEZdokENB seriesREX 2 overdriveUTXGEXMytrafficSome UK2000 airports/Aerosoft airportAre there any addons that would either improve my enjoyment experience or my experience to get a smoother running sim?
I really enjoy FSPassengersX. It offers a way to own airlines, acquire planes, pilots, rates your pilots, provides crew ambience, etc. It took me out of the boredom issue and has sustained interest for quite a while now.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I'm looking for something that will improve my experience.
Before before spending hours/days/weeks and lots of extra money, you might want to check these folks out, it's a pay service but they will probably save you a ton of money and get your current system rocking....www.fs-gs.com

Jay

Guest jahman
Thanks for the reply.You've gave me much thought about the new Intel processors.. any idea what the price points will be?
You're welcome!Unfortunately I don't have any info on IB pricing. That said, the past may be a guide as price points seem somewhat stable.Cheers,- jahman.

Well I have some more planes like the Captain Sim Family and Some sound packs for them. That makes it a lot of fun. Also some fps boosting programs could help too.

Edited by HartsfieldFlyer

Thanks again for all suggestions.I'm back on my PC on Tuesday so I'll be able to do a bit more then.There's also a few bugs/errors that could do with getting sorted too, and I'm sure I'll be able to search this forum for some information about them.Cheers