Sign in to follow this  
btrjet

New GeForce FX5700 and MSFS2004

The new NVidia GeForce 5700 card and MSFS2004...ugh.I'm still stumped on how to get this card working with MSFS2004 without crashing it.Situation: Upon installing the card, the monitor would simply go to black. Sometimes it would reboot itself with multiple wierd color presentations upon restart, other times I usually would have to shut the power off at the surge protector."Solution" #1: I went and bought a new 430W Antec power supply and changed the physical board location (on advice from NVidia) of my ehternet card to another slot (the IRQ showed both the graphics board and the ethernet in slot 16...go figure.Outcome #1: Seemed to work fine...except when I spent a few minutes inside MSFS. Then, the screen would go black or the sim would simply hang before crashing. But...I could surf the net for hours and everything was just fine."Solution" #2: Uninstalled the video drivers and re-installed via NVidia's CD the new drivers and software again. The went to NVidia and installed the updated drivers for the card (9 December).Outcome #2: Seemed to work fine...except when I spent a few minutes inside MSFS...(see above Outcome #1)!Called NVidia again. They said it sounds like I have enough software leftover from my uninstall that it is conflicting with the new drivers. They said to download and run Nasty File Remover in order to clean up any leftover files. The problem is, some of the NVidia files (all 72) that I chose to delete, not all can be deleted because access is denied. I have no clue what the heck I am doing (isn't that obvious by now?) I'm seriously considering yanking the card out and going back to my crappy 64MB GeForce MX card. At least the sim would work. Looked like a slide show at times, but worked.Any advice would be helpful before I yank it Sunday, but I doubt anybody else on the entire planet is or has had this problem but me because that's my luck.Oh, one sidebar to all of this...when I file an error report to Microsoft the report comes back via their internet page that I indeed have an "Error Caused By Graphics Device Driver". Under technical information it has;Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER(Q293078). Whatever that means.Sorry for such a long post and thanks to all (you know who) who tried to help me out to this point.Sincerely,Jeff aka MrMertz

Guest SoarPics

"but I doubt anybody else on the entire planet is or has had this problem but me because that's my luck."Nope, you're not the only one. :-) I prefer to use DriverCleaner http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/More info about your system (including OS) would be helpful...Don't despair... this can be fixed!

Guest farmer

Uninstall drivers before you run detonator_rip http://rareelement.tripod.com/detonator_rip/ This will remove ALL detonator drivers, then start new. I just installed a 5900 xt, and there is a pigtail power connector on mine that has to be connected, or no work. Mine doing same untill read manual and connected extra power line.

>"but I doubt anybody else on the entire planet is or has had>this problem but me because that's my luck.">>Nope, you're not the only one. :-) >>I prefer to use DriverCleaner>http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/>>More info about your system (including OS) would be>helpful...>>Don't despair... this can be fixed!Geez...I guess I really AM goofed up! Forgot my system info!Running WindowsXP Home Edition on a Dell Dimension 8200, 2.0Ghz P4, 80GB HD, 1GB DDRAM, GeForce5700 with latest drivers installed on ALL devices. And yes, I WILL be checking out that link because when I was actually re-installing my drivers again for the 'ump-teenth' time, the video again locked up on me and the screen went black!I'm begining to think it's not just when MSFS runs, though it probably puts a much higher demand on the card/software perhaps than anything else and maybe that's why I notice it more. I dunno. I'm going to try to use that DriverCleaner and see what happens. Thanks!Sincerely, Jeff aka MrMertz

Guest Bob Z

JeffI've never encountered that one before but there's this article on the MS Knowledge Base about Q293078:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...8&Product=winxpI tried to post it as a link but it's too long and wraps to a second line when I preview it. This causes the link to be only partially bracketed []. You can copy and paste it to your browser's address entry line.

Just in case you might not be aware of this.My GeF FX requires that you connect the card to a Hard Drive power connector from the PSU? P