Sign in to follow this  
P47D

Scenery Recommendations. USA California

Hello I usually fly in California / USA. KSMX and probably up to KSFO and down to KSAN.I really don't need the whole world I suppose it would be cool to have most of the west coast but it would not get much use.I know there is Mega Scenery, ORBX covers North West USA and there are some freeware airports out there.I have REX Overdrive which totally transformed the sim.Any other suggestions for add on both payware and freeware that would enhance my California Experience?Thanks

Nevermind. I found what I was looking for. Stupid me should have searched first. $200 bucks for California from Megascenery.. WOW Thats expensive for a game. O well I can just order the sections for $7 bucks.

I have the Western USA for FS Altitude which looks great from higher altitudes 14,000 and up. It spans from California to about the middle of Texas and as far north as Washington. Roughly 5 Million km2 is the advertised coverage. If you are looking to add photo-realistic scenery for small segments of California you might look into the Vero-FS website and try some of their products. They produce 10,000 km2 blocks so if you want to revamp the coastal areas then only buy those blocks relative to what you want to see from the air. It looks like they are no longer doing the buy while produce option and it might cost more to get the whole state now.I might be wrong, but it also looks as if you cannot buy anything on the Vero-FS site. There is also BlueskyScenery who produced segments of photo-real scenery with a similar approach to Vero-FS except there products are freeware and available through this website. They have a donation option too which I had no problems with sending funds to support their work.

Keith Guillory

Nevermind. I found what I was looking for. Stupid me should have searched first. $200 bucks for California from Megascenery.. WOW Thats expensive for a game. O well I can just order the sections for $7 bucks.
Wait for the 50% off sales before you buy MegasceneryEarth tiles.I'd recommend doing that and getting the state as a whole for $100 (MegasceneryX: Southern California is "free" if you get the whole state in one go)Keep in mind that image quality varies accross the state (MSX-SoCal and and the rest of MSE-California are like day and night.) Most of the state is good, some tiles look far too bleached though.Downloading is going to take a while (make sure you have a good DL manager) and California is 100GB (make sure you have plenty of hard drive space) Edited by FSX4Life

You will surely want to get the Northern California from Orbx when it is released later this year (most likely), but, I would try to get the latest update of the western states from SimSavvy. The Orbx coverage area starts just about Pebble Beach and goes North to meet up with the PNW and East to the state border. If you have a hard drive that will handlle about 500 GB you can have it all in a week or so. Portable large capacity hard drive price increases from the flood late last year almost drove them out of business but the data is still available if you have the means of getting it on your pc. This stuff is hands down the best deal around and at full price is way better priced than what you are looking at.An email to Larry at simsavvy.com will get you started.Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

I got the entire state of CA when it was on sale last time. VERY disappointed, but grateful I didn't pay full price. When you've been use to the quality of the 'SoCal' npack, everything else is pretty poor in comparison.

The actual website is http://sim-savvy.comSo if I understand correctly, an email to Larry will establish the basis for obtaining either portions or all of their scenery?

Keith Guillory

The actual website is http://sim-savvy.comSo if I understand correctly, an email to Larry will establish the basis for obtaining either portions or all of their scenery?
Yep, just tell him what you are looking for. He has all the 48 states in 50 cm photo scenery for FSX. He just doesn't have anymore hard drives for delivery. You can get all of the Western states for less than you are considering paying for California and it is a far superior product. I bet if you would send him a USB v3.0 500 GB HD he would load it totally full for you.Ray Edited by raymar

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Ive tried the sim savvy demo and it seemed similar quality to the megascenery socal scenery - of course, simsavvy has far more coverage.Mse is ok, but not great. Vero fs was much better but not currently for sale. Orbx will be a different type of product - landclass based rather than photoscenery. I currently prefer photoscenery but it dependsmwhat type of flying you do.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I just read on the post above you can get southern CA for free at sim savvy.Steve
OK how the heck do you install the stuff from simsavvy?

Download and add the folder to the scenery libray in fsx as per normal.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

MegaScenery is really good. It looks sooo real. I highly recommend it- especially California, Las Vegas, and Arizona!