Sign in to follow this  
escu

2D panel 16x9 or 16x10?

Hi,That's it I am buying a new widescreen monitor to be able to display the 2D panel at the proper aspect ratio.As I am very picky about these things I would like to ask if the panel is designed for 16x9 or 16x10 aspect ratio, so I know what monitor I should buy to match the panel ratio EXACTLY.I would also appreciate an official answer from PMDG / Ryan if possible.Many thanks,Cristi

I can't say for sure which it's for, but Ryan has said he uses a 16x10

Can anyone from PMDG please confirm this?Cristian Ionescu

Edited by escu

The 2D panel is 16:10.It looks fantastic on a Dell 22" set to 1680x1050Fred.

Thank you all for your answers and Ryan for the confirmation.Cristian Ionescu

What would you suggest a 1920x1200 monitor or 1680x1050?I am worried about performace.I have an i5 760 @ 4GHz, GTX460, 4Gb RAM.I am currently running FSX at 1280x1024 an I think maybe 1920x1200 might be to much for my setup.Should I go for the more conservative resolution of 1680x1050?Kind regards,Cristi

Edited by escu

What would you suggest a 1920x1200 monitor or 1680x1050?I am worried about performace.I have an i5 760 @ 4GHz, GTX460, 4Gb RAM.I am currently running FSX at 1280x1024 an I think maybe 1920x1200 might be to much for my setup.Should I go for the more conservative resolution of 1680x1050?Kind regards,Cristi
It will run fine. Mine stays smooths at 5996x1080

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/68/Video_Standards.png16:10 is an interesting choice. Is there a particular reason why this aspect ratio was chosen. ?While I very much like that format, 16:10 monitors are few and far between, and tend to be expensive.Also, with the tendency of new monitors mostly being 16:9, it is becomeing increasingly difficult to even purchase a 16:10 monitor, and when one does, one pays a high premium for that ratio.(Interesting to note, that there are only 3 Standard 16:10 resolutions, one of them being CGA !!!)Maybe the choice of 16:10 was chosen to be a compromise between 4:3 and 16:9 ??
It will run fine. Mine stays smooths at 5996x1080
5996 * 1080 ???

Geoff, almost all of us on the PMDG team have 16:10 monitors, simple as that. I very much like having the extra vertical space vs. a 16:9. They're expensive, but they tend to have much better quality LCD panels (IPS, MVA etc) vs. the cheap TN panels that most 16:9 monitors are. Dell's UltraSharp series are probably the most affordable ones - I've seen their 27" one on sale for $600 or so recently and the 24" has been down around $300 before.My current monitor is an LG 246W 24" MVA display at 1920x1200, which is old now, but still looks better to me than almost any newer 16:9 monitor. Vangelis has the same monitor I do. RSR has a 30" Apple Cinema Display and Vin has a really nice professional 27" NEC one. All 16:10.That said, I really do doubt there's going to be a noticeable amount of distortion displaying the 16:10 2D panel on a 16:9 monitor - either's going to work fine. It's displaying a drastically different ratio like a 4:3 panel on a widescreen monitor that's going to cause distortion problems.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

5996 * 1080 ???
1920 x 3 monitors, plus bezel correction Edited by MrKen