Sign in to follow this  
synape

Anti-ice and descent

Hi,I am interested in how RW pilots and the other simmers are coping with the situation when idle N1 rates are increased using anti-ice systems.What i do generally is, if icing situations are expected before the descent, i start my decend about 20 nm before i reach TOD point. And when i engage anti-ice, i catch my planned vertical profile later due to slow vertical speed because of high N1 rate.If icing conditions are unexpected, then there is no way but to use speedbrakes to keep the speed from increasing while maintaining the same vertical speed.Do you know how in RW descent planning is done when using anti-ice?Best regards,

Murat Okay

Turkish Virtual Airlines

Senior Captain

www.turkishvirtual.com

Nice post, will look forward to this with interest.The thing is, it likely you will get some high clouds etc in which you will need the anti ice on at some point

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

There is the DES FORECAST page in the FMC that includes activation/deactivation altitudes for anti ice.This anticipates the ToD without needing to anticipate manually the descent.However, I found that the NGX is unable to mantain speed with increased idle also if that is added to the fligt plan.

Regards

Andrea Daviero