Sign in to follow this  
AlbertM

XP10 demo hangs up on loading

Hi everybody,have ordered XP10 today and decided it would be a good idea to install and try the demo first.Problem: The demo won't even start ! In the loading screen it says "Loading bitmap/resources/bitmaps/skycolors/sun_glow_socked.png" and then it hangs up - doesn't do anything any more.Downloaded the demo a second time but same result.Has anybody seen something similar and could probably point me in a direction what could go wrong ?The file is there and obvisously not corrupt - can manually open it just fine.CheersAlbert

Hi everybody,have ordered XP10 today and decided it would be a good idea to install and try the demo first.Problem: The demo won't even start ! In the loading screen it says "Loading bitmap/resources/bitmaps/skycolors/sun_glow_socked.png" and then it hangs up - doesn't do anything any more.Downloaded the demo a second time but same result.Has anybody seen something similar and could probably point me in a direction what could go wrong ?The file is there and obvisously not corrupt - can manually open it just fine.CheersAlbert
Hi Albert,it may be your firewall. X-Plane does have an option to check for updates. It may be tryingto do so: it does this before it finishes loading. Where is "Mountain man"? He is current with X-Plane.Using ctrl+alt+delete will get you to the desktop: alt + tab does not always do this, making it harder tofigure out why the sim is hanging, since at the desktop you'll be in a better position to trouble shoot.What are your system specs?

I took a look at the preferences "X-Plane Screen Res" here are two copies.One is full screen and one is windowed: _is_full_ALL 1_bpp_full_ALL 0_hz_full_ALL 0_use_vsync1 0_use_vsync2 0_lang 0_alias_req 0_keylist_up 1_prefs_found 1_sec_mon_inuse 0 In windowed mode: _is_full_ALL 0_bpp_full_ALL 0_hz_full_ALL 0_use_vsync1 0_use_vsync2 0_lang 0_alias_req 0_keylist_up 1_prefs_found 1_sec_mon_inuse 0You may have to change this option manually giving you a chance to see what's happening as thesim attempts to load.

Hi Alex,thanks for your reply. XP is starting in windowed mode - in the status field in the lower left corner it states "loading airways", "loading airports" and then seems "sun_glow_socked.png" is the first png file it attempts to load and then it hangs forever, when you mouse click into the window it says "not responding".I tried to deactivate the antivirus (avast) and the firewall (windows) - same result.My specs: Windows7/64bit, i7, 8GB ram, 2xATI5870The log file does not log anything related to loading that file.I've seen similar reports from others who reported XP10 hanging on startupwhile loading a certain file - their workaround is starting XP without the DVD in the DVD drive and adding it after XP reports the missing DVD ... mysterious.

OK - I found the problem. Since I have two graphic cards I had ATI crossfire enabled.After I disabled that XPlane started just fine.I will report that to Laminar.

OK - I found the problem. Since I have two graphic cards I had ATI crossfire enabled.After I disabled that XPlane started just fine.I will report that to Laminar.
Hi Albert,'glad you got it sorted. I had no idea about the ATI Crossfire setup.This really is a nice sim. It takes a little getting used to. I've had it since the begining even though,MSFS has been my preferred IFR sim. I have never had "real" problems running either of 'em.

Absolutely a nice sim - it has been growing on me every hour I played around with it after I got it running.Looking forward to receiving the full version :(

Absolutely a nice sim - it has been growing on me every hour I played around with it after I got it running.Looking forward to receiving the full version :(
Hi Albert,good that you're enjoying the sim. The one thing that's always annoyed me with X-Plane is the lackof first class addons. I know there's the CRJ: I'll get it eventually.I've had at least 5 different sign-in IDs over at X-Plane_org over the years: after not signing in forawhile you'ld have to start all over again. I'll be re-upping over there soon.Over here the X-Plane forum is finally starting to attract an not insignificant amount of attention.That's a good thing.I like MSFS and X-Plane: no law exists that forces me to choose one or the other.I'll state my point: short and to the point because, it's what I believe/know/studied/worked at or experienced.I am really looking forward to the arrival of my package. I've got to just wait and stop hitting the refresh button.Tschuss. Edited by eSimmer

I'm waiting on some parts coming on a slow boat from china...I know EXACTLY what you mean

Hi everyone,On two separate occasions, I downloaded the XP10 demo and on both occasions I couldn't get it to run. After executing the application, it just hangs forever! If the status field in the lower left corner of the application screen should reveal that something is happening, then it doesn't (the bar also shows no progress!). I've read all posts in this thread and tried updating the demo (using the proper tool) which reported that all files were up-to-date. I'm at a loss as what to do next! I don't understand the bit about a possible issue with my graphics card and even less so the bit about full screen mode vs windowed mode (preferences "X-Plane Screen Res"). I know what these terms mean but how can I toy around with the settings when the demo wont even start!Any thoughts would very much be appreciated. If specs help, I run W7 Ultimate 64, i7 965 @ 3.20 (Turbo at 3.46 I believe), GTX 260 with latest driver (285.62), 12GB RAM.Regards,Jean-Jacques (JJ for short)

Hi Jean-Jacques,please have a look on "http://wiki.x-plane.com/X-Plane_10_Graphics_Known_Issues" - there is a list of problems with graphic cards and possible workarounds.Maybe you can find something that is of any help for you.You might also consider writing an email to Laminar Research support with your problem, might help them also to discover and resolve some graphics initialization problems XP10 obvisouly still seems to have.@eSimmer: currently installing DVD 8 of 9 B)I agree regarding coexistence of FSX and XPlane - I have so many great addons for FSX that I see no reason to convert entirely. But I certainly will enjoy Xplane as a second platform and hopefully the MS Flight desaster will redirect a lot of attention to XPlane now.

Hi Albert,Thanks for your quick response and the link to XP10 graphics known issues. For a brief moment, I had hopes which were related to the Matrox Powerdesk. Unfortunately, disabling it or at least reverting to one monitor did not allow the demo to function. It appears that the issue may be related to my low-end graphics card. I'll give it some time and try again when XP10 is updated which, based on what I've read, should be soon. Not being able to get the demo to function causes me to refrain from purchasing XP for fear of not being able to run it. It's unfortunate and disappointing.Many thanks for your help.Regards,Jean-Jacques

@eSimmer: currently installing DVD 8 of 9 B)I agree regarding coexistence of FSX and XPlane - I have so many great addons for FSX that I see no reason to convert entirely. But I certainly will enjoy Xplane as a second platform and hopefully the MS Flight desaster will redirect a lot of attention to XPlane now.
Yeah, I'm currently on 4 of 8. As to the different flight simulators, I can say with certainty that some got by me, but just a very few.I had Janes, Microprose, Microsoft, Laminar, Novalogic, Abacus, Eidos, Global Star, DID, Terminal Reality, Razor Works, Empire Interactive, Xicat, ...you get the picture? all installed simultaneously. I KNOW I have left out quite a few, I have enjoyed them all to differing degrees.I go a loooong ways back with this stuff: I would not have changed a thing.@eSimmer: currently installing DVD 8 of 9 :( You meant 8 of 8 DVDs. Enjoy your "sims". Edited by eSimmer

You meant 8 of 8 DVDs.
Nope - buying from Aerosoft you actually get 9 DVDs. No.9 contains the three extra airport sceneries (which will be included in the global version for all, I believe, at a later time)

JJM:You may be experiencing the exact same issue I had.Open up task manager and monitor the cores in use while you launch the demo.Let it run...and run...and run....if the cores are still active it is NOT hung...especially Core 0 (the first one)It might look something like this:If this is the case the same happened to me. XPX finally loaded after 22 bloody minutes!If it finally loads for you...immediately go into render settings and shut everything to the bare minimum. Turn every thing off...kill AI planes and the ATC.Quit the sim and restart. It should load quickly and then you can start restoring rendering stuff one bit at a time.Can't hurt to try...and it frustrated the hell out of me until Brett over at the .org suggested I should wait it out.

AVSIM Staff Reviewer
Bush Is Good!
banTedG01.jpg