Sign in to follow this  
Splash_One

AVSIM Stats - Thank You!

As 2002 comes to a close, we have been looking back over the past year at our system performance and some of the areas that we might improve on during 2003. We were, and still are, somewhat agoggle about some of the statistics that our readership has generated over the past year, and thought we would share some of these with you. We think you will find some of these very interesting (stats as of 4 a.m. on 12/27/02):Total Annual Hits:Web Server: 430.4 millionLibrary: 582.9 millionAverage Monthly Hits:Web Server: 35.9 millionLibrary: 48.6. millionSome Library Stats:Total files served: Over 363.7 millionTotal Visits: 10.5 millionTotal Bandwidth served: 25+ TerrabytesSome Web Server Stats:Total Files served: Over 257 millionTotal Visits: 13.7+ millionTotal Bandwidth served: 8.3+ TerrabytesSome other interesting numbers:From March 30, 2002 to today, we have served up over 64.7 million ads.As of 9:00 a.m. this morning, there are over 310,000 messages in our forums systemAs of 9:00 a.m. this morning, there are over 6,150 active users of the forumsThe point of all this? We are very proud to have been able to provide the level of service represented by these numbers to the flight simming community, and are thankful to you, our readers and members for making AVSIM the number one site on the Internet for all facets of flight simulation. Thank you!

Guest Tim13

Holy cow! That is impressive.Oh, and a big THANK YOU for running one of the nicest sites (not just flight sim but compared to any site) around.Tim

Come on Tom, you thanking us :D , it is us who should be thanking you and the team for providing such a great flight sim resource, and for free.And I suppose thanks should also go to Ardent for providing your connection and to Matt and the other 'backroom' boys for keeping the system running.May 2003 be even more successful for you (and us).Which reminds me, must make this year's contribution once I know how Christmas left the bank balance ;-)

Guest Matt Johnson

All I'll add is that some of those statistics are on the conservative side. :) As far as the Library is concerned, I suspect the figures above are for the web stats for this server (thus including forums).Based on the raw statistics I have here, I suspect the following is more accurate:Total bandwidth served (Library + Forums): 45+ TerabytesCheers,--M

thanks AVSIM!i love this place! don't know where any of us would be FS-wise if it wasn't for all you folks.thankschris

Guest mikehaska

Tom, I hate to throw cold water on your achievement (which is astounding!), but I think you need to clarify the difference between "Hits" and actual visits.From Webalizer.com:Hits represent the total number of requests made to the server during the given time period (month, day, hour etc..).Visits occur when some remote site makes a request for a page on your server for the first time. As long as the same site keeps making requests within a given timeout period, they will all be considered part of the same Visit. If the site makes a request to your server, and the length of time since the last request is greater than the specified timeout period (default is 30 minutes), a new Visit is started and counted, and the sequence repeats. Since only pages will trigger a visit, remotes sites that link to graphic and other non- page URLs will not be counted in the visit totals, reducing the number of false visitsTherefore, while saying you had 430 million+ hits on the server is technically correct, the more accurate number is given as Visits, which pegs your yearly total at about 13,713,921 visits. The same applies to average monthly visits, which pans out to about 1.1 million per month.Still, staggering numbers nonetheless! Congrats on the site becoming such a success!

I thought everyone knew the difference between "hits" and "visits".. :) But, you are right. You can click on the stats for the various servers at the menu above to see the gory detail.

Guest Dominique

you sure can be ! As so many good gamer sites went down the drain all these years one way or another (gamesdomain being the latest in my book when they were bought out by Brtitish Telecom) it is nice to see you grow and getting better every passing year.Thank you guys for your dedication and dependability and a very happy 2003 from France.D.

Speaking of numbers..... just filled in the 2003 demographics survey, and besides noticing the Netherlands as 3rd country by numbers after US and UK :-) :-) :-) the thing that struck me most was the small peak-outside-the-bell-curve of income at > $100K....Must be either some guys bluffing or some airline pilots spending their hotel time filling out AVSIM surveys ;-)VincePS Great stats! Quick calc shows about a megabyte per second, YEAR ROUND. Impressive!

:-eek ! :-eek ! :-eek ! And :-eek again! Thanks for the great FREE service you've guys gave us over the years, and to think...you the cheif...thanking us :+ Happy New Year (Still 9 Hours to Go Here)