Sign in to follow this  
Will Dunn

Advice on components for new computer... with a budget

So I'm planning to get a computer for FSX soon. I have a budget of around £800, but I'm still hoping to get a good processor and GPU. Processor being an i5 2500k, getting it overclocked to 4.2-4.5ghz, and I was hoping to get an EVGA GTX 570 too. Now this doesn't leave much for a motherboard, I know, plus all the other various components. I'm still hoping to get a decent motherboard too. Monitor is not a problem (I don't think) as I'm planning to use my LG LCD tv as it, and I'm not fussed about getting a flashy case.So I need some advice. Apart from the CPU and GPU I don't really know much more about what would be good, I do want to end up with good graphics and performance, considering on my current laptop I rarely get over 20fps in VC, and that's with default FSX aircraft, any addons take it down too.So, I need to get:MOBOcooler/fanramHDD (hoping for 2)soundcard...?what else?As you can see I'm a huge novice on comps and the components needed. I also get that I may have to lower my aspirations with the GPU as the 570 does cost a lot...Thanks :)

800 is workable...basically the base components you want are:Z68 motherboard like this: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128502i5 2500kgtx 560 ti8GB basic ram... corsair, gskill, low timings are better DDR3 1600mhz650w psu... don't skimp on this one either.. go with corsair ax or tx v2example:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021 (this 750w is on sale in US... not sure what they got elsewhere)Just get a 1 TB 7200 rpm hard drivefor the CPU fan since you're on a budget I'd try for the CM Hyper 212:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coolermaster-Hyper-Sockel-1155-1156/dp/B0068OI7T8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326392905&sr=8-1You dont need a sound card the ones on the mobo are fine these days.

Edited by ryanbatcund

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Ryan, thanks a lot, much appreciated. I've heard that you can get away fine with 6gig ram? And how does the 560 compare to the 570?

The LGA1155 socket mobo's use dual channel ram so you want to get 4 or 8. for FSX purposes the 560ti will do fine. If you play other 3d games like Battlefield 3 or Skyrim the 570 would help a lot.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

In spite of Ryan's excellent suggestions, Will, (apologies, Ryan!) - I'm going to suggest two drives - one around 200gig for FSX and a second one for the OS and other "stuff", such as the downloaded REX files, etc..most do not need to be resident on the FSX drive. If you put FSX on the OS drive your performance will suffer, as both 'applications' need to run, read and write almost simultaneously. A pair of 500GB's might be easier to find.

Edited by Paul J

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Ah ok. And there isn't much difference price-wise between 4 and 8gig ram? Might as well get 8 then, as you suggested.And I've got a PS3 for other games predominantly so I doubt I will get any other games for PC. Only if there's an exclusive that looks amazing.I'm actually a little concerned about using my TV as a monitor, will it work? It's your standard LG LCD...

In spite of Ryan's excellent suggestions, Will, (apologies, Ryan!) - I'm going to suggest two drives - one around 200gig for FSX and a second one for the OS and other "stuff", such as the downloaded REX files, etc..most do not need to be resident on the FSX drive. If you put FSX on the OS drive your performance will suffer, as both 'applications' need to run, read and write almost simultaneously.
Ah ok. Thanks Paul! :)

Everything ryan said is spot on. 560ti is the sweet spot, and it will do the shooter quite nicely also.If you can swing it, get an ssd for fsx.... Just do it.

Hi guys,I currently have a GTX 275-1792 mb. with an i7-920 overclocked to 4.0 ghz., and 12 gig corsair ram. Would a GTX 560 or 570 help much compared to the 275? Thanks, Tom