Sign in to follow this  
delta9857

Editing default livery?

Hi everyone,I just bought the Malibu and I must say she is a blast to fly! Great work Carenado!I was wondering if it is at all possible to edit one of the default liveries just to change the aircraft registration on the side? I know Carenado has provided blank textures but I don't really want to do the whole livery from scratch (I'm not skilled enough in Photoshop anyway!)Thanks.

As long as you don't distribute your edited default liveries... I believe it to be fine.I've done this with all of my Carenado aircraft.

Joseph Chamberlain

FAA ADX

Thanks for the replyHow do I go about editing the default textures? Photoshop wont allow me to open the files.

Hi Delta....you need a program like DXTBmp from MW Graphics. 1) Open DXTBmp and open the file you wish to change.....MAKE A BACKUP OF THE ORIGINAL.2) Send the alpha channel to editor (you might have to set in DXTBmp your paint program so it goes to editor). Do NOT close DXTBmp....minimize it as you will need again.3) Send the file to editor. Your paint program should open now....paint away.4) Save the file 5) Go back to the DXT program and hit reload after edit....your new reg number should be there.6) Reload the alpha channel and then save and rewrite. 7) Start FSX and you should see your new paint.Cheers,Greg

Thanks Gmac!I tried to follow your instructions as carefully as possible but when I load up FSX, half the plane (The half I repainted) is black. I certain this is a mistake that I made. Any ideas?Also, what do you mean by 'save and rewrite'?Many ThanksEDIT: Restored backup...when I try to send the alpha channel to Photoshop, all i get is a grey outline of the aircraft which is impossible to repaint on because there is no detail.

Edited by delta9857

Hi Delta....sorry for the difficulties you are having....I have done this so many times its almost habit and its tough to write down....a little like a receipe LOL. I used this website to learn how to change the reg number and do repaints.....they do an excellent job on the description unlike mine LOL. http://www.calclassic.com/repaint.htmOn a side note, number 6 above should be reload the alpha and save. Then start FSX and you should see the paint. For 2) Make sure that you send the alpha to editor (should open in a new window).....dont close......just leave the window on the side as you will need this later for step 6Let me know if you are having difficulties and if worse case, send me a PM with your email, livery you would like changed and Reg number. I will change the reg number for you but please remember that you cannot redistrbute the new paint.Cheers,Gmac

hi Guys, I want to repaint the skymaster in fsx but there are nor .dds files for the exterior. They are all .bmp files. Can someone tell me how to work them files to be able to do my repaint ? I have photoshop CS3 and DXTbmp.Thanks.