Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Any way to get more realistic turbulence...?

I know FSX is not very good at giving you realistic turbulence but as it is now with AS 2012 and FSUIPC and after following the installation tips where you're told to adjust some settings for turbulence I think I never experience any "bumps" at all during approaches for instance. I would love to have the kind of approaches you see on cockpit DVDs for example where you clearly see how "bumpy" some of the approaches are IRL.Is there anyway to get some more "bumps" in FSX using AS 2012 and FSUIPC?

Richard Åsberg

Tried eating some beans then sitting on a water cushion about half hour before departure?

Edited by graham3278

No, I haven't but have to try that sometime - that's a great idea!Do you think I could get a similar effect by changing some values in fsx.cfg?

Edited by WebMaximus

Richard Åsberg

No, I haven't but have to try that sometime - that's a great idea!Do you think I could get a similar effect by changing some values in fsx.cfg?
I love your reply.JBSent from my iPhone using TapatalkJB

Guest 747-fan

Well deflected there, Richard!I'd love to know this as well, have ASE and I'd love to get some actual turbulence...

Well...although it was a funny suggestion I think my family prefers I edit cfg files rather than eating beans :wink:I've now tried adjusting some turbulence-related settings both in FSX.cfg and fsuipc.ini. Was a bit worried it would cause the notorious S-turns in the NGX but so far so good...only did one flight but no S-turns and the landing at 26 at ESSA which was a windy one today went well and I think I could feel a little bit more of turbulence but I'll have to do some more flying before I can say for sure.

Richard Åsberg

If you have any of the HIFI weather generators, you could also try increasing Min and max cloud turbulence. Obviously make sure that apps like FSUIPC and your cfg file aren't limiting turbulence in any way.JB

If you have any of the HIFI weather generators, you could also try increasing Min and max cloud turbulence. Obviously make sure that apps like FSUIPC and your cfg file aren't limiting turbulence in any way.JB
Yes, I'm using AS 2012 and I did see those settings you mentioned but for the moment what I've done is to revert back to the default turbulence settings in both FSX.CFG and FSUIPC.INI as below and I also unchecked the disable turbulence setting in FSX. Part from this I also enabled random turbulence in FSUIPC.I realize this is the opposite of what the documentation for AS 2012 suggests (and probably for other versions of AS as well) so if I get problems with S-turns in the NGX or any other kind of problems I know what settings to revert one at the time to find the culprit because I still want to try this for a while to see the results regarding experienced turbulence in FSX and after this first flight I didn't notice any problems like I said above. Will do more flying tonight and during the weekend to try these new settings out.FSX.CFGDisableTurbulence=0TurbulenceScale=1.000000 FSUIPC.INICloudTurbulence=YesSuppressCloudTurbulence=NoSuppressWindTurbulence=NoWindTurbulence=YesTurbulenceRate=1.0,5.0TurbulenceDivisor=20,20,40,40

Richard Åsberg

Yes, I'm using AS 2012 and I did see those settings you mentioned but for the moment what I've done is to revert back to the default turbulence settings in both FSX.CFG and FSUIPC.INI as below and I also unchecked the disable turbulence setting in FSX. Part from this I also enabled random turbulence in FSUIPC.I realize this is the opposite of what the documentation for AS 2012 suggests (and probably for other versions of AS as well) so if I get problems with S-turns in the NGX or any other kind of problems I know what settings to revert one at the time to find the culprit because I still want to try this for a while to see the results regarding experienced turbulence in FSX and after this first flight I didn't notice any problems like I said above. Will do more flying tonight and during the weekend to try these new settings out.FSX.CFGDisableTurbulence=0TurbulenceScale=1.000000FSUIPC.INICloudTurbulence=YesSuppressCloudTurbulence=NoSuppressWindTurbulence=NoWindTurbulence=YesTurbulenceRate=1.0,5.0TurbulenceDivisor=20,20,40,40
Interestingly enough, I am running default turbulence values in the cfg and in FSUIPC with AS2012. After NGX SP1b and AS2012, I don't get S turns anymore in the NGX at at cruise under Auto Flight. Not sure if something has changed with either of the two, but the combination seems to work better. Forgot to mention I am using Standard depiction mode in AS2012. A few flights, I have even gotten enough turbulence that AutoFlight disengagement was necessary.JB

Interestingly enough, I am running default turbulence values in the cfg and in FSUIPC with AS2012. After NGX SP1b and AS2012, I don't get S turns anymore in the NGX at at cruise under Auto Flight. Not sure if something has changed with either of the two, but the combination seems to work better. Forgot to mention I am using Standard depiction mode in AS2012. A few flights, I have even gotten enough turbulence that AutoFlight disengagement was necessary.JB
I tried changing from DWC to standard myself but in my case this resulted in highly unrealistic windshifts causing an overspeed condition so I now went back to DWC mode in AS 2012. This happened even with wind smoothing enabled in FSUIPC.

Richard Åsberg

Have you tried increasing wind smoothing beyond what FSUIPC gives you as a default?JB

Have you tried increasing wind smoothing beyond what FSUIPC gives you as a default?JB
No, I never tried that since the situation was a little bit stressfull to say the least finding myself on an online flight at FL340 without any working autopilot after my hard, manual pulling back on the yoke :( Amazing how realistic the NGX is, just learned in PMDG's forum that pulling back really hard on the yoke indeed will break the autopilot in the real a/c as well so now I learned should I find myself in this situation again that you must always disconnect the autopilot as your first step.Since DWC works really good in this regard I think I will just stay with this.

Richard Åsberg

If you have Active Sky Next you can do the following for some better wind turbulence effects :

- Go to Wind Options and Effects

- Make sure all your wind effects are higher then 50 ( you can set lower but then would be less turbulence effects)

- Make sure you check Enhanced Turbulent effects on aircraft

- Wake turbulence is optional but if you would like make it realistic you can set it to 90, DO NOT SET IT TO 100

-Further more just make sure that all your turbulence sliders are acceptionally high, to make it more realistic.

Hope it helps

Cheers