Sign in to follow this  
Guest jahman

PCIe 4: 2x the BW of PCIe 3 and 4x the BW of PCIe 2

Guest jahman

PCI-SIG has announced PCIe 4 at 16 Giga Transfers/Sec, 2x the BW of PCIe 3 and 4x the BW of PCIe 2. THe PCIe 4 spec is expected to be finalized in 2014-2015.The press release also mentions that to date "approximately 24 billion lanes of PCIe have shipped in the marketplace since its introduction", which is a rather stunning statistic.The hardware future bodes well for FSX!Cheers,- jahman.

Quite. Some day, not that far in the future, compters are going to be running FSX with all the ease. Microsoft will have lost on the franchise level and FSX/P3D is going to bloom.

Quite. Some day, not that far in the future, compters are going to be running FSX with all the ease. Microsoft will have lost on the franchise level and FSX/P3D is going to bloom.
So true. I feel that the Sandybridge was the first generation of chips ever to tap into FSX's real potential and let FSX "stretch it's legs".Within a few years, running maxed out won't even be a worry and our computers won't break a sweat running with NGX and all sliders to the right. -- Excited to see if PCI3 + Ivy Bridge will be able to come close to doing this.

So true. I feel that the Sandybridge was the first generation of chips ever to tap into FSX's real potential and let FSX "stretch it's legs".Within a few years, running maxed out won't even be a worry and our computers won't break a sweat running with NGX and all sliders to the right. -- Excited to see if PCI3 + Ivy Bridge will be able to come close to doing this.
I'll be upgrading when the next machines proves about 30% performance upgrade. That is for me a worthy upgrade, for FSX. Otherwise wouldn't even need such a monster. Since the g3d.dll fix, I've been flying like crazy - it's such a nice feeling, knowing that the sim won't crash. Even today in the sickest of flights, KORD landing under baddest weather, heavy snows and winds, very low visibility I managed to put her down. And that with quite good performance I must say - I would like locked 60fps, but I can only hope for some day. Edited by Kosta

The real challenge will be not to slam into the 32bit virtual memory wall. I am at that now where thanks to the G3D.dll fix there are no more crashes, but that had allowed FSX to run long enough to exhaust the memory.Kind regards,

I'll be upgrading when the next machines proves about 30% performance upgrade. That is for me a worthy upgrade, for FSX. Otherwise wouldn't even need such a monster.
Do you think Ivy and PCIe3 will deliver what is neccesary or will we have to potentially wait for Haswell?

IDK I'll still be worried about OOM's. The more we push sliders with payware scenery, aircraft, weather programs etc, the greater risk of OOM.I get one everytime I fly in SEA or PDX with the NGX. Granted I run LOD of 6.5 still :)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hi Ryan,I can only fly for so long in the PNW in any aircraft before I am nailed with an OOM error. Of course my settings are maxed and running 64xAA smooth as butter at 30FPS in Nvidia Inspector, so am asking for trouble. What is frustrating is the whole reason I have a killer FSX machine, is to have a killer FSX machine. If I have to crank down the settings, what is the point?Kind regards,

The real challenge will be not to slam into the 32bit virtual memory wall. I am at that now where thanks to the G3D.dll fix there are no more crashes, but that had allowed FSX to run long enough to exhaust the memory.Kind regards,
I lowere my LOD to 6.5, and now I'm running great, without any memory losses, even with very high scenery settings, high texture quality, NGX et al. Include ORBX into that mix too.
Do you think Ivy and PCIe3 will deliver what is neccesary or will we have to potentially wait for Haswell?
I don't think IB is going to deliver that. With a combo of PCIe3 card, probably gonna see some significant performance boost, but I doubt it's gonna be that much.
IDK I'll still be worried about OOM's. The more we push sliders with payware scenery, aircraft, weather programs etc, the greater risk of OOM.I get one everytime I fly in SEA or PDX with the NGX. Granted I run LOD of 6.5 still :)
OK, I flew into KSEA with a 747, but it was a 10 hour flight. LOD 6.5. Success.But seriously, I don't need anything more for sliders - as it is now, so it can stay, maybe only couple of AI, but they don't eat that much, as far as I've seen.
what is the point?
I'm gonna answer this one with a bit of irony: to have a successful flight? Big%20Grin.gif

I'm gonna answer this one with a bit of irony: to have a successful flight? Posted Image
:LMAO: