Sign in to follow this  
LesPaulGuitarsRock

Painting 2d panel from scratch

Hi.I`m quite experienced in aircraft repainting and want to get into designing and repainting my own 2d cockpit panels.What prog`s do I need, and how do I go about it?Eddie

Hi,This is what i did:1. Looked for a good flightdeck picture for a photorealistic panel, saved as 24 bit .bmp.2. Then editing in psp (color, darker, lighter, size, blur, effects etc.) and mspaint (copy, paste, cut, text etc.)Gauges is another story....Jan

Edited by phjvh

Since panel and gauge images can be 24 bit BMP images (or other FS formats), it's actually simpler to paint panels than planes. :)

Since panel and gauge images can be 24 bit BMP images (or other FS formats), it's actually simpler to paint panels than planes. :)
When formats are taken into consideration it certainly is much easier. However it is much more difficult to get accuracy with panels - especially when you lake straight forward images in the correct lighting conditions.Photoshop or PSP will do. Then you just get started trying to imitate the panel you're making. It's a long and arduous process that typically will take a few weeks to get something you are completely content with if you are striving for much detail.You also need to consider that once you make the panel and get into gauge design you will need to make the images for each switch in each different position, levers, knobs, buttons, etc..Graphically panels are a great deal of work.

Good Day,

Engjell Berisha

Angel-Simulations-Small.png

Create a nighttime version of the same panel...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

No need to be sarky mate. I kind of guest that.
Then what are you asking? If you're wondering how to use the image at night as opposed to one at day, you would simply create an XML switch to turn the "lights" on if you will. This switch will then toggle back and forth between the day and night image.

Good Day,

Engjell Berisha

Angel-Simulations-Small.png

Good luck with the panel painting Eddie, I've done a couple of simple 2d panels myself but didn't even consider nighttime bmps. Would like to hear about what you learn as yo get up to speed. For what it's worth I use Gimp to edit mine, similar features to PS but it's free, check it outPs - love your profile pic, giving me rock and beer flashbacks :) I feel the need to break out my Deep Purple vinyl :)

Dean Stringer

No need to be sarky mate. I kind of guest that.
I was not being "sarky" (spelling: sNarky) [now that WAS snarky!]...I was being succinct and to the point.If you're designing a 2d panel for FSX, then simply use the panel.cfg to indicate the name of the _night.bmp version of your panel. The sim will use it instead of the daytime panel whenever the "panel lights" switch is on (which in FSX is automatic, damnit!).[Window00]file_1024=cessna_172_background.bmpfile_1024_night=cessna_172_background_night.bmpFor FS9 2d panels you'd have to script an XML gauge to display the night time version, or simply use the color assignments at the bottom of the panel.cfg file:Day=255,255,255Night=233,108,107 /* sets the color & brightness used on the 2d panel bitmap */Luminous=201,64,64 /* sets the color & brightness for the gauge backlighting */

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I was being succinct and to the point.
"succinct" yes, "helpful" nothanks for eventually providing a useful response though Money%20Eyes.gif

Dean Stringer

Question: Editing a photograph to use as a panel is one thing, but how do you use it for night flying?Answer: Create a nighttime version of the same panel...Succint and helpful