Sign in to follow this  
fakeflyer737

HUD LNAV Track

Guys, I'm having a problem accuraely flying in LNAV (manually) with the HUD, is there something on the HUD other then the "bug" to tell me if Im left or right of track. It seems I fly alot more accurately without the HUD; despite the fact that the HUD is 6x more sensitive then the DU's ( I think). I just don't know when to start or finish a turn and how to really get perfectly on Track with the HUD. Any ideas? Maybe one of you can do a tutorial with youtube about the HUD. It seems to an extremely advanced piece of NG gear; yet it is the least understood....by me anyway.Cheers

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

HUD seems to suffer from lag during lnav flight. FD on PFD seems far more accurate and easier to use to follow lnav track. This been mentioned before but not really commented on by pmdg.

O so there is an inaccuracy right? hmm....well that sucks

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

No inaccuracy that I'm aware of. The CDI on the HGS does not show the LNAV deviation according to our documentation from Boeing, only the VOR course.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

No inaccuracy that I'm aware of. The CDI on the HGS does not show the LNAV deviation according to our documentation from Boeing, only the VOR course.
So how do a hand fly LNAV with the HUD?

Ron Hamilton

So how do a hand fly LNAV with the HUD?
Just keep the flight director circle inside your flight path symbol and you should be spot on. Use the primary mode, which is basically the PFD represented on the HUD.I've never noticed any lag. The Flight Path symbol I'm sure has some minute lag, like any performance instrument, but it should not keep you from flying correctly.

I've not really tried it since the latest sp, but always found before that keeping the circle in the circle didn't really keep you on the lnav track. It doesn't seem to preempt the turns, like the FD does. It almost seems more like it follows you rather than you following it as it were.If I hand fly watching the FD I can keep it on track, using th HUD I'll end up yo yoing through the lnav track. I'll give it another try hand flying the Sid later with the latest sp.

I've not really tried it since the latest sp, but always found before that keeping the circle in the circle didn't really keep you on the lnav track. It doesn't seem to preempt the turns, like the FD does. It almost seems more like it follows you rather than you following it as it were.If I hand fly watching the FD I can keep it on track, using th HUD I'll end up yo yoing through the lnav track. I'll give it another try hand flying the Sid later with the latest sp.
Precisely, that's what I'm saying, there seems to be no Lead in or Lead out of the turns and its very difficult to fly RNAV SID's with a lot of points near each other; ie Boston Reeves1 SID off of 04R. Try that SID with HUD and fly it in manual its hard as all hell without looking at the Nav Display.

Ron Hamilton

Precisely, that's what I'm saying, there seems to be no Lead in or Lead out of the turns and its very difficult to fly RNAV SID's with a lot of points near each other; ie Boston Reeves1 SID off of 04R. Try that SID with HUD and fly it in manual its hard as all hell without looking at the Nav Display.
Why not look at the ND? You can use it as a reference for what's to come. I love to fly SID/STAR with AP off with the HUD in LNAV/VNAV. Haven't found myself much off the track so far. Maybe it improves with higher refreshrates for you. Set them up via the option pages in your fmc...

cheers,
NiIs U.

AMD 5800X3D | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz | RTX 4070 12GB @ 1920x1050px

This aircraft is a pure joy to fly by hand...how ever you do it. I never tried using the HUD for in flight navigation before. I will give that a try.

Depends, Ryan, I guess... Some airline reportedly have a SOP to use HUD ALL the time. I personally use it for every TO and landing, if installed, although I stow it for climb, cruise and descent.

Does anyone with first hand knowledge know for a fact if carriers such as Delta or Southwest fly with the HUD down all of the time? I generally always have it down, as I have seen on real life photos, even during cruise.

Depends, Ryan, I guess... Some airline reportedly have a SOP to use HUD ALL the time. I personally use it for every TO and landing, if installed, although I stow it for climb, cruise and descent.
You are right. AZUL in Brazil SOP for the Embraer eJets is to have it down at all times.

Ron Hamilton

I have this problem too, most problem is it when there is hard turns in the SID wich would often result in missed waypoints if only flying whith the HGS. But after reading the FCTM I found out that the HGS doesn't work well with hard turns and a conventional head down flying is preferd after the take off. So I always fly head down after take off and with the PFD/NG you can't fail a SID departure.