Sign in to follow this  
dighost

People who went to CES... Anyone?

Anyone go to CES? There was a thread here where some guy said he was going and would ask questions, but I haven't seen any follow up. Not expecting anything profound about the game, but was more interested in what the MS people working the booth had to say-- or not say.

I just got back from CES, I guess I am that guy. Flight looks good visually to me at least as good as some of the best addons for FSX but I only saw the small area, reminds me of ORBX. The flight file of the biplane was hard to judge as I played it on an xbox 360 controller so nothin ground beaking. I did get a chance to talk to one of the engineers and he said that they need a game/simulation that would encourage new users and that is the whole game plan. If you like what you see they are prepared to be able to offer more, you get to pickwhat you buy but it is more based as a game. It really is about making money and as much as we hardcore simmers think, we are not a large enough group to support the business model. He did say that there are some suprises on the horizon but left it at that. He was very nice and they had two screens with the game on and a bunch of folks waiting in line so I didn' have a lot of play time, plus I was working. I forgot to ask about ATC but I didnt hear any but that is because I was in a huge room with 10 thousand other folks. If you guys have never been to CES its like putting 150 thousand people in area tha is about a half mile wide by half mile long. Again it looks to be more game based initially but for free I will try it. I asked about other areas and he said they have some done and couldnt tell but they platform itself is suppose to allow MS to be able to react to reqesuest rather quickly and they will provide content based on what is asked for. In addition it is also all about being networked as everyting else is as well. Please dont flame me for not having more details as it was very crowed but I will say this, I am looking forward to at least checking it out and if it works then great. I am not sure if its a whole new engine or not, he was just swamped with questions from everyone but I can say that it looks good at least graphically speaking.The strange thing is I walked away not feeling let down as I was prepared that it was going to be a new model for them and one that they can hopefully make money on and if they can we will see a lot of cool stuf, if not then a smaller outfit will come along and fullfull the niche. Like I said before, my flight sime expereince is vastly better and it continues to grow so I am sure the future looks bright. For you younger folks, not that I am that old at 43, but I have matured some and become more patient so don't worry, we will have better and better toys as time marches on. Now its back to the real world and work so I apologize if I can't answer more questions and I wish I could have spent more time with him.Shayne

That is a great review considering the huge distraction factor you had to deal with. The intensity of being there with the drooling masses pressing in, wanting a taste of some action is very understandable. You did well and I get the impression they will be tight lipped until it is released. My guess is, add on wise, the hard core request will be listened to and Flight will eventually become hardcore. If I am wrong, P3D will suffice nonetheless in due time. Thanks for taking the time and posting an update.

Edited by drumsonly2002

The graphics on the screens in the CES booth actually looks a lot better than the in-game videos posted on youtube which are kind of blurry, so there is some reason to be optimistic.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

The graphics on the screens in the CES booth actually looks a lot better than the in-game videos posted on youtube which are kind of blurry, so there is some reason to be optimistic.
Possibly because they're running on top end i7 machines and the ones on YouTube are lower end? They said in one of the CES videos that it's the same build as the closed beta.

Thanks for that, Shayne!!! :)It's really funny... When I read Shayne's post I got even more optimistic then I already am and I thought 'Great, now all the negative posters will be a bit more positive!" And then I read the first reply...

So basically, back to FSX/P3D/XPX it is then.... sigh....
Seems people only read what they want to read. That includes me too, obviously... :(
Cool! You've been there too or did you hear this somewhere?

Just watched a few videos leaked from CES. Even though they're recorded with a crappy camera they make the scenery look better than Microsoft's own in-game trailers/webisodes.

Just watched a few videos leaked from CES. Even though they're recorded with a crappy camera they make the scenery look better than Microsoft's own in-game trailers/webisodes.
Ok! Any keywords I should use on YouTube to find those videos...? :(

Thank you very much, Shayne!

I asked about other areas and he said they have some done and couldnt tell but they platform itself is suppose to allow MS to be able to react to reqesuest rather quickly and they will provide content based on what is asked for.
:Peace:Flyawaysimulation: - "The Live marketplace allows for constant content flow and users that opt-in to share data, allow the team to react to user behaviors to improve the game and add more of what users want. "There are no airlines at the moment, because considering the current geography, there is no need for them. Some people may be disappointed, but it is definitely something on the teams list for the future. There is support for multi-engine aircraft; the team says that there is nothing they cannot make.The question is: What is your (our) request? (This is what's crucial to Microsoft's income!!!). Edited by torium

Saw this now:http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/hands-on-at-ces-with-microsofts-flight-simulator-successor-flight/#

Ok! Any keywords I should use on YouTube to find those videos...? :(
These are linked to from MS FLIGHT official Facebook page, so moderators can relax about NDA hysteria:http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/10/2697548/microsoft-flight-hands-on-video-ces-2012http://www.geekwire.com/2012/hands-microsoft-flight-blast-mere-gameI noticed sharper and better texturing in these vids.

Good article. I think this quote "it doesn’t have enough to be a fun game, nor is it complex enough to be a real simulator." expresses the general consensus about Flight right now.

Good article. I think this quote "it doesn’t have enough to be a fun game, nor is it complex enough to be a real simulator." expresses the general consensus about Flight right now.
Here's another CES - Flight review: http://www.geekwire....blast-mere-game
Microsoft Flight hands-on: It’s a blast, and no mere gamePosting from Las Vegas: The Consumer Electronics Show here this week offers a sneak peek of Microsoft Flight, the successor to the company’s discontinued Flight Simulator franchise. I spent some time playing Microsoft Flight at the company’s CES booth this morning, and if everyone else has as much fun with this thing as I did, the company might just have a hit on its hands.The most important point, particularly for traditional Flight Simulator fans: This is still very much a simulator. Microsoft has added more game mechanics to the experience, such as challenges to test flying skills, but in the end it’s too realistic to be considered a mere video game. It works via Xbox 360 controller, joystick or keyboard and mouse.The controls default to the greatest level of flight control assistance, but even with all that help, I struggled to properly land the light sport aircraft ICON A5 that will be featured in the simulator. (Obviously I’m not a pilot.) That said, even when I crashed, it was a fun and challenging experience, enticing me to keep playing and improving my meager aviation skills.In that way, Microsoft Flight is far more approachable to a wider audience, which could actually be a good thing for aviation in general — as long as people aren’t inspired by the game to follow in the footsteps of the Barefoot Bandit.Hard-core Flight Simmers and real pilots will be able to adjust the controls to make the experience more realistic, and tough, by removing the built-in assistance for stability, braking, fuel mixture and propeller effects.Microsoft closed Aces, the team that was responsible for the nearly 30-year-old Flight Simulator franchise, as part of its broader cutbacks nearly three years ago. It was a highly controversial move among the hard-core flight simulation community.Microsoft Game Studios plans to release Flight this spring, under a free-to-play model.
I have to wonder how many reviews/videos of Flight at CES were done with the default game settings; with all the flight control assistance still enabled. Edited by Arwen

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Thank you very much, Stathis1.

One interesting point is what that article that was posted above said, that users will define what becomes available e.t.c. Well that is essentially not true, because ms can introduce whatever content they like and just say, most of the users requested it. No one can know if it will be true or not, unless if they will be making polls, which i doubt.
Why should MS develop add-ons that do not generate money? Fool themselves saying: - "most of the users requested it". :(

I have to wonder how many reviews/videos of Flight at CES were done with the default game settings; with all the flight control assistance still enabled.
Probably most. But in the test i did with the beta, and still doing, i have of course all off, except for automixture. And as i said, it is good. For default planes at least.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.