Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

G500 brightness setting

I've found that the default 100% brightness setting is too high, and the MFD looks washed out.You can change the brightness in the MFD AUX panel.70% looks much better to my eyes, but the popup panel gets dimmed also, which I do not want.The way to go about it, is to set 70% as the default in the G500 config file, with auto to off, and to comment out the Brightness section in the G500 popup gauge.If you do not mind editing XML code, you can do this yourself. If you would like a copy of myedited files (until such time that Carenado fixes this), send me a PM with your email address.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Sorry to bring this older topic back up... Is there any way of adjusting the figures on the menu using the right hand buttons of the G500? I am sitting here staring at it, wondering why I cannot get any of the settings to change. It is a real shame that the only way to edit this might be de-cabbing the gauge file and then hand-editing the xml config...I have hand edited the xml, and the display reveals so much more detail in the TOPO form...Andrew

Edited by aentwis

You can definitely change it right on the gauge.Click on the knob to highlight the field and then use the mouse wheel to adjust the value.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

You can definitely change it right on the gauge.Click on the knob to highlight the field and then use the mouse wheel to adjust the value.
yeah but I must say I have also had a bit difficutly to figure it out how to use the gauge to change the figures, but now I can change any figure straight on the gauge itself.

Odd, tried that a hundred times I guess... Where is the clickspot to highlight the fields? I only see the + - for the outer ring and inner button. Clicking on the inner button has no effect...Do the values remain from flight to flight?Andrew

Edited by aentwis

Odd, tried that a hundred times I guess... Where is the clickspot to highlight the fields? I only see the + - for the outer ring and inner button. Clicking on the inner button has no effect...Do the values remain from flight to flight?Andrew
Ok I will make a few sceenshots for you when I home (in 2 hours time) for step by step guide. As I said it took me very long to figure it out myself. The clickspots is a bit funny. if you not clicking them precisly you will struggle

and also note;yes it can be changed from the G500 menu's. But then it reverts right back to 100% next time you fly.if you want to make them stick permanently you will have to adjust the gauge XML. If you have figured out a setting you like I can always do it for you or you can ask for Bert pieke to do it for you. he have already done it a few times for a couple of us. At least then the selection will stick. I personally also like the setting to be 50% brighness. Some like 70 other 60 etc.. It is all up to your liking and your screen type and setup. So yeah what is Ok for one guy is not necesary Ok for another.

Ok here is a short tut with some screenshots to illustrate the different clickspotsMAP view--------Click on MenuA01.jpgthis will bring up menu for MAP and the lightblue background will flash on the area that is activeA02.jpgto move between MAP subscreens use the green area to click to cycle backwards (green) and use the red area to cycle forward (Red)(note the curser will be a hand plus a - or a +. if it is just a hand it is the wrong area)A03.jpgTo move to the next field on a screen use the Yellow area to click to cycle backwards (yellow) and use the blue area to cycle forward (Blue) between fields(note the curser will be a hand plus a - or a +. if it is just a hand it is the wrong area, but be carefull the yellow and blue area is slightly above the green/red area)A03To change the field valueAfter you have move the flashing selection curser to the field you want to change the use the green and red area to either move the value up or down.the curser on map menu screen should already be flashing and thus ready to be changedA03.jpgWHEN you done changing the values click on CLR button to clear the menu or use this indicated ORANGE area to clear the menuA04.jpgAUX menu--------Ensure no menu is active. Just the map is showingA05.jpgFirst we need to move the active region from MAP to AUX.Now click in the BLUE selection area to move the active area to AuxA06.jpgthe result will beA07.jpgto make the Field active (flashing with blue background), click on the ORANGE are right at the bottom. to make the field inactive again click on ORANGE areaA08.jpgTo move to the next field on a screen use the Yellow area to click to cycle backwards (yellow) and use the blue area to cycle forward (Blue) between fields(note the curser will be a hand plus a - or a +. if it is just a hand it is the wrong area, but be carefull the yellow and blue area is slightly above the green/red area)A09.jpgTo change the field valueAfter you have move the flashing selection curser to the field you want to change the use the green and red area to either move the value up or down.A10.jpgafter the changes have been made, make sure you have the field deactivated by clicking on orange area so that you dont have a flashing curser anymoreTo go back to the MAP view after you chnaged the selections you want to change click on the YELLOW area to go back to MAP viewA11.jpg

Edited by bliksimpie

Thanks for putting together that explanation. I didn't know you could use the CLR button to escape out of the menus. I thought if I hit CLR, it would clear all the changes made to the menus.I have been using the blank hand clickspot to escape out, but because it is hard to find in the VC, I usually open up the 2D window (Shift+1) so it is easier to hit the blank hand clickspot.

Great explanation. Thanks so much for your efforts, will help a lot of people.This is all information Carenado should have given us in the documentation of course.And what a pity Carenado didn't design the click spots better in the first place.And why there was no VC plan, god only knows. I've only just stumbled across the dome light switch.

Edited by martin-w

Seems like it's three Bs now on the Carenado case. So thanks to all accounts and names with a B involved. :smile:In the g500_config.xml //-------SYSTEM SETTINGS-------// 100 (>L:G500_DisplayBrightness, number) //Initailis the initial brightness setting for all gauges, right?Could it be that the temp value on the G500 is bound to ISA again? From the code, it looks like this with the term 'STANDARD ATM TEMPERATURE' instead of 'AMBIENT TEMPERATURE'. Don't we know that one from the A36? blum.gifEdited. Seems like the RXP model (.MDL) file eats that G500 popup clickspot in the VC, huh? When using the Carenado (GPS) model file, it's there again.

Edited by CoolP

Thanks for that excellent tutorial... would have been nice if Carenado had done this... the standard viewpoint makes it almost impossible for me to see that orange markwed clcikspot in VC view, and the G500 won't pop up...I have the RXP variant...Andrew

Bliksimpie, thank you very much for your great explaination. It is greatly appreciated.

Great tutor on the click spots.

Really helped sort it out nicely.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW