Sign in to follow this  
denver69

visibility depiction in FSX

I have finally determined this is a stock FSX issue. I went on to my laptop today in a very old instalation of FSX with no addons and lo and behold same problem with low visibility. I am surprised to see hardley anything on the internet on this one seeing that it is just horrid. My long standing beef and last major problem to finnaly overcome this joke of a low visibility depiction issue. Why is it that you can see the outline of clouds way farther than 2 miles when it is set to 2 miles. The outline of the horizon is visible as well as sections of the ground in front of it. You can never get true IMC. In real life 2 miles means only seeing part of the ground in front of the aircraft, not the other way around! The dividing line is this hardcore 1980's graphics line from the rendered limit of visibility distance and then a different color (depending on fog color) beyond that line that changes in a blocky shifting fashion as one pans the head. Any clouds beyond this are visible in outline and the horizon is as well.With all the complaints that crop up all the time why never this one. There has to be a solution. I would think if I could get ahold of the files that are in charge of fog and whatever has a sky backdrop and change them to the same color. But that would probably screw something else up. Can this be taken care of with a 3rd party pay or freeware add on because I would gladly pay a price for such an addon.

Edited by denver69

No takers eh? I havent been able to figure out if everybodys does this and it does not bother them or if it's just mine.

Visability is not always well depicted in FSX and that is partly because it depends upon what graphics card you are using and what settings you put into it.REX has apparently got some files in it that can make the visability look better, but you can help yourself to an extent by selecting something that looks realistic in FSX. On my machine 30 to 40 miles looks most natural (i.e. how it looks up thre inthe real world on a reasonalby clear day), though I do fly in conditions a lot lower than that some times.It is worth trying the line tablefog=0 in the display device section of your fsx.cfg on somemachines it will help to improve things, on others it can look worse. The only thing with usng that is that you will need to set visability quite a lot lower than you do when you are not usingit.IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I have both AS2012 and REX. Would these be sky textures? There are some pretty hideouse sky extures for bothe dawn,day and dusk and I think I have found the ones thatlook the most realistic. Are you saying that possibly some of these different sky textures may make this problem become less visible? I understand this may be an Nvidia issue and will try the tablefog but why would you need to adjust the visibility lower in using this tweak? The only fixed visibility I use is maximum set in AS all other visibilities are set during real world weather. So when I go into airports reporting 3-10 miles this is the range of visibility that this ugly depiction becomes aparent. When it is less it is hidden in fog and when it is more it is hidded in horizon haze and in both cases the visibility depiction looks fantastic. It is only in this 3-10 mile range that it looks so horrid. This was never a problem with FS9.Thanks

got the exact same problem, was wondering if it was the shader 3 mod?

I wondered that two and so I tested it by unintalling it and had the same problem. I have tested w/o Shade as well. The clincher was testing it on my seperate laptop that had a virgin install of FSX with no add ons. Same problem. Thats why I wonder why there is so little info on the internet about it. Either people love it, dont notice it or we are the only ones with a cursed copy of FSX. During times of dawn, dusk and night when the visibility is 3-10 miles is is totally noticable and hideouse and negates being in IMC. This is one of the last FSX problems I have to surmount before I have a perfect FSX.The tablefog thing did not work.kand, what is your video card and what driver version are you using? This is the only thing I can think of at this point since I am thinking this only effects a small percentage of FSX users.

gtx480, 290.53 but had the problem on previous drivers, use nvidia inspector, maybe its something in there. Maybe its related to the transparency bug where you see distant clouds in front of clouds in the foreground and maybe it only happens at a certain visibility setting range

Edited by kand

I have been thinking of rolling up to the latest driver for I to am running 290.53. I rolled back to this one and got better performance and that is about the time I started to notice that.