Sign in to follow this  
EGLL77W

What I expect/Hope to see from the PMDG 777, feel free to add agree/disagree

I'm sure if VRS can implement FLIR into their F18 then I'm sure PMDG could put a taxi cam in the 777
Yeah, but probably will be like opening a new view on the corner of the screen. And that will use twice the resources.

I would be interested to know if the taxi cam on the EICAS would actually be possible? Regarding everything else, I doubt it will be a problem implementing accurate features considering what they have learnt from the NGXRegards
+1

I am currently watching an Air Canada 777-200LR DVD and I think that one of PMDG's secret projects is an EFB (Electronic Flight Bag) to use within the 777 partnered with Navigraph... :DJust a Thought! :D

Best Regards,
Tristan Marchent - UK fATPL(A) - EMB 195 First Officer

System: Intel i7-6700k Skylake CPU, 4 Cores (4.0-4.2GHz, Overlocked 20%), Asus Z170 PRO GAMING MBO, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Corsair Hydro H80i V2 CPU Cooler, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB, Windows 10 Home 64-bit (512GB M.2 PCIe SSD), Prepar3D V4.5 (1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD), 4TB SSHD Hybrid Drive, EVGA GQ 80 PLUS Gold 850W Modular PSU

Well, the Airbus is just...well, weird. It flies unlike any other a/c out there. Basically, say you are rotating after take-off. Pull back on the stick until you get to, oh 15deg up. At that point, you release the stick and the bus will maintain 15 deg up until you move the stick again, engage AP or enter a potentially dangerous situation (stall). Works the same way with banking. There is just a ton of technical stuff like the different control laws it flies under. Now, a Boeing FBW functions almost the same as the old pulley and chain systems use to (just with relays that control the hydraulics). Pitch up, let go of the yoke, and the a/c will eventually pitch back down. There is protection software to prevent stalls and other fun adventures. The Airbus flies unlike any other airliner, past or present. It is very difficult for new AB pilots, it's like learning to fly all over again. I just wish someone would do a decent one. There's been a couple of promising projects but they pittered out. (You can like Boeing and Airbus! Variety is the spice of life my friend).
I am sure you meant to say the Airbus FBW system flies unlike any other a/c out there except perhaps the MD-11 (LSAS), the 737 NG (CWS), Cessna 172 (properly trimmed), etc.There are some truely odd ideas out there about Airbus and/or FBW and yours are not the wierdest I have encountered. I suggest you improve your understanding of trim and its effects on control forces, then you can look at various auto-trim systems. Edited by Paul_Smith

I think the OPs wish list is actually pretty good.I'd really like to see a taxi cam incorporated.Also, a WXR would be nice, but I think that's been beaten to death (and aint gonna happen in FSX by PMDG).

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

You may have missed this cool company mod - watch the vid as the 773 lines up on the runway and as soon as the aircraft is lining up on runway 9, the computer voice announces what runway the pilots are on. Could be a company modification, still cool nonetheless. Vid below. Cameras + EFB would also be very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8a6qbF9ECg

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

Back to the original point of the thread. I think you will likely be very satisfied when they are done as many of the features that you have asked for are already in the NGX. Every new aircraft that PMDG makes they push the envelope. However some things you are best off forgetting about. First weather radar. PMDG has beat this to death, like it or hate it, won't happen. Time to move on with life.Implementing a taxi cam would be cool, but my bet is that it would be a frame rate killer. FSX has more limitations than you can count. In order to do that you would have to open a spot window, and realistacally implement it in a gauge format. I am not sure that FSX is even capable of it.EFB would also be cool, but the complications of implementing it realistically are insane. You would almost have to create a system like the one used by Aivlasoft to create charts based off of SID/STAR information from the FMC and then graphically render it. The Aivlasoft software is fantastic, but it comes with a $70 price tag. How much do you want to pay for your 777 anyway?Just expect to be wowwed.

Whaha, I don't go read your things, I know (and hope) that PMDG will make the 777 at the same quality of the NGX!! :(

I agree with the OP's take on the PMDG B-777 while acknowledging the limitations posted by others.This is the bird I've been waiting for. As to the Airbus philosophy well, Coltrane, FLEX1978 and Paul_Smith have got it right.

You may have missed this cool company mod - watch the vid as the 773 lines up on the runway and as soon as the aircraft is lining up on runway 9, the computer voice announces what runway the pilots are on. Could be a company modification, still cool nonetheless. Vid below. Cameras + EFB would also be very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8a6qbF9ECg

Sounds like a Runway Awareness and Advisory System. They're designed to prevent pilots from taking off from the wrong runway (or taxiway) and to warn them in case of runway incursions. At the moment they're still company options / mods. From what I've read they work OK, but still have some bugs to iron out. I know KLM has in principle decided to purchase / install such a system but hasn't actually done so yet because they tend to 'cry wolf' (i.e. generate lots of false alarms) about runway incursions.

-First thing first a realistic VC which I don't have to hope for with PMDG!I can't use the 2D anymore because its distortion and concessions for space bother me, but that's no reason to ask them not to do it. -Realistic Exterior and coluoring of wingAm I missing something? How is this different from what they've been doing? -Possibly a Taxi Cam on the 300 series.Would be interesting, but only if it doesn't hammer the frames. -Weather Radar/TERR (Not sure if they have one in the NGX)Terrain database? Sure. Radar of any sort? No. If you want to know why, search the forum, because bringing it up here will just mean the thread would devolve into nonsense.-EFB? Could this be possible? Or the load manager very similar to one that will give us all the weight info, speeds etc.I don't understand why people ask for this. Read below for why.-High quality on screen check-list along with all other functions.Why? Print one out. What's the advantage of stealing extra frames in the sim when you'd be using a printed one in the plane anyway?-Realistic times for things like the APU and engines to start.Current standard. I don't expect it will change.-Ground Strobes,Nav Lights & Beacon at night. (All possible on the 777!)Current standard, and lights are your control/responsibility, by the way, not the plane's.-Possibly a choice between cockpit textures, one looking new and one worn? Maybe that's something an editor could do?I like the worn, but I can see the argument for new.-GE,RR & P&W Choices throughout the 777 series where acceptable.This was done with the 747. I'd expect it to be the same here.-Realistic sounds especially from those GE90-115B's!This was done with the 747, MD-11, J-41, and NGX. Why would it change?-Better performance on lower end machines that can run FSX!This was done on the NGX, and the lessons learned here will likely influence the 777...-Possibly a Company page with the checklists to do Position Reports, even if it does nothing and means nothing it still adds to the realism! Even CPDLC Log on page!CPDLC would require some integration with an ATC client, which would be a hassle, since you'd have to either program for them all, or program for one, and none of them are very good. Not sure about the rest.-Comes with perfect AES files ;)I have no idea how those are set up, but I thought those were AES's job to release. From what I've read, though, they just release a file with the real aircraft's dimensions. If PMDG uses the real dimensions (they have so far), it'll match.-Be able to see the nose from the glare shield, similar to what Aerosoft done with there Airbus I believe?Why waste polygons? Are you planning on standing up on the deck all the time?-When the speedbrakes come up on Touchdown that the three end ones have a gap in between. Also when doing Control Checks they come up like they do on the real T7. As well when using them on decent they come up exactly the same, normally 2 come up then when they get pulled over 1/2 way another 3rd one pops up.PMDG does a good job at making sure the thing behaves like the real thing. I have a feeling this would be part of that.-Not all at once but every variant would be AMAZING! That consists of the 777-200/ER/LR/F 777-300/ER.. Maybe a 777-8/9X in the future ;).They're doing this with the NGX. I have a feeling they'll do it for the 777 as well, as I mentioned in another post. -The perfect wing. The wing has to be one of the best things about the 777.. No one has got it right but I don't doubt PMDG wont!They had the diagrams from Boeing for the 737, I suspect they will for the 777, so if it's not right, then it's not right in the diagrams. EFBs:I still don't understand peoples' obsession with EFBs inside the sim. It would be insane to keep up to date, it would be difficult to read because it would likely be set in at a fixed angle, and it would hog your resources. Why do it? I can't think of a single possible benefit to having one in the sim.www.airnav.comwww.faa.gov (they're on there, somewhere, for now)Go up to a local FBO and take their extras (most throw away the ones they didn't sell but are expired)Buy paper chartsI'm open to have my opinion changed, provided I get a valid argument, but I just see no point whatsoever. Then again, I have a second computer and a phone to pull charts up on, not to mention a stack of old Jepps I get from my contact at a local FBO.

Edited by scandinavian13

Kyle Rodgers

-High quality on screen check-list along with all other functions.Why? Print one out. What's the advantage of stealing extra frames in the sim when you'd be using a printed one in the plane anyway?
Hi KyleThe T7 comes with a on-screen checklist that you can handle with a kind of mousepad, below the FMC.I think he is asking for that.

The T7 comes with a on-screen checklist that you can handle with a kind of mousepad, below the FMC.I think he is asking for that.
When I'd written that I'd forgotten about that feature, and it only started to come back to me when he mentioned the position reports feature. Good point.That being said, I don't see why not, though I'm not sure what the best way to implement the mouse feature would be. Direct mouse click probably. Even the old PSS had a basic version of this, right? Edited by scandinavian13

Kyle Rodgers

When I'd written that I'd forgotten about that feature, and it only started to come back to me when he mentioned the position reports feature. Good point.That being said, I don't see why not, though I'm not sure what the best way to implement the mouse feature would be. Direct mouse click probably. Even the old PSS had a basic version of this, right?
Believe it or not the WilcoFeelThere Embraer 170/190 has it. When the mouse pointer is inside the screen. it change and you can access the different menus of the screen, to see the aircraft systems.

Sounds like a Runway Awareness and Advisory System. They're designed to prevent pilots from taking off from the wrong runway (or taxiway) and to warn them in case of runway incursions. At the moment they're still company options / mods. From what I've read they work OK, but still have some bugs to iron out. I know KLM has in principle decided to purchase / install such a system but hasn't actually done so yet because they tend to 'cry wolf' (i.e. generate lots of false alarms) about runway incursions. Good to know the backround thanks for that, I heard also they use the same system on Approach, these would be nice in the PMDG 777 but may take a lot of coding and incorporate AFCADs (I think).A bit too much coding hassle I think... As long as PMDG surpass PSS which was a great simulation of the 777 panel wise, im sure most features will be implemented....Still to buy the NGX (Dont hate all at once lol) I will do ASAP :)

Edited by 777

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.