Sign in to follow this  
dighost

The Golden Age of Flight Simulators

Thanks for that video dighost. I really enjoy watching it and it brought back good memories. I did, however, feel somewhat saddened, when watching the video, that we no longer have new flight simulators coming out every couple of years like we used to that make your jaw drop and make you say "wow".I owned the yoke and pedals featured in that video. They were great at the time :(.

Now, that's funny! But, the mouse on the left should be replaced with an XBox controller. Seriously, thanks for the chuckle.
Ask,,,, and you shall receive.....good thinking !I do a lot of these for my website and the good ideas always come up about the first minute after you post them.But then, they never ever get funny until you actually get well along into making them.Bob - Ranking Las Cruces Photoshop Expert.... :( Edited by Toys_R_Us

Hm, well, I actually LOVED what I saw on my screen back then. Compared to what we had in the mid eighties, it looked AWESOME!This makes me think about how we will look back on today in 20 years time... Will we look at FSX and see what we now see in that video...? Awful unrealistic graphics? Utterly low res textures? A flat screen...? "What were we thinking back in 2012?!?"Flight simming... it's only just begun if you aks me. :(
I started in 1985 with Chuck Yeager's Advanced Flight Trainer, and it has been a great ride. I'm allready at the point where I feel FSX looks dated. Amazing tech is allready here, but it is still many years away from our desktops. Combine Outerra style planet rendering with quality landclass and autogen for remote ares with SAAB Rapid 3D mapping or C3 Technologies for special interest areas and you have flight simulator nirvana.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

You are all welcome, glad you enjoyed it as much as I did! Sure brought back good memories. I played A10 for hours and hours... those were the days!

Great vid. No one complained about fps at that time. They have a great 5 fps max in that presentation :(

LOL at 6:00-6:30 with the sexist remark at the end.We got our first PC and 1995. (and MSFS not long after!) I remember in the mid-late 90's when I first started getting PC games and walking into a computer store and seeing wall to wall games and software. All with nice big box's and manuals inside. I remember seeing the army men games with plastic army men in windows inside the boxes. Or a golf game that came with a golf ball in the box! Now its all downloads and DRM junk. You can't even sell the game on EBAY a couple years later if you like.

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

Great post...loved watching that vid....sure did bring back memories!

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

army men games with plastic army men in windows
LOL, I remember that too! Man I miss those days...

LOL at 6:00-6:30 with the sexist remark at the end.We got our first PC and 1995. (and MSFS not long after!) I remember in the mid-late 90's when I first started getting PC games and walking into a computer store and seeing wall to wall games and software. All with nice big box's and manuals inside. I remember seeing the army men games with plastic army men in windows inside the boxes. Or a golf game that came with a golf ball in the box! Now its all downloads and DRM junk. You can't even sell the game on EBAY a couple years later if you like.
Exactly! I miss the boxes and goodies inside. They also used to finish software properly before releasing it because there was no real way of getting patches to people. This whole digital download thing is responsible for a lot of the unfinished, unpolished, no-attention-to-detail rubbish we get today. "Oh we'll just put out a few patches next month". It's pathetic.

My goodness, sure brings back some fond memories.Andy Hollis of the Skunkworks team and some of the titles they produced.Janes Longbow, Longbow 2, F-15, etc. Nice large boxes with incredible manuals.I would get hours of enjoyment reading up , along with hours of enjoyment flying those sims, and yes the store shelves were stocked with several to choose from.Those were the days...

Would these still be comming? I doubt it..http://www.flightsimbooks.com/

"These flight simulators have been the best selling category of entertainment software for years."Oh, what sad times are these..... :(

I just want to chime in and say that MS FLIGHT (2012) at close to 1GB+ download has absolutely nothing on Aerowinx 747-400 (1997 DOS) more closer to 1 MB filesize. It is a shame, the stark juxtaposition of such polar extremes. The former is 1GB+ of arcade eye-candy fluff while the latter is a couple Megabytes of pure hardcore simulation.
Well, I wish you a lot of fun then with Aerowinx 747-400! :(

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.