Sign in to follow this  
dighost

The Golden Age of Flight Simulators

Wow. Thanks for posting that. Brings back a lot of memories, but really shows how small simming has gotten. We went from having stores dedicated to sims, with a great selection of software, to just having 2 or 3.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

For me the golden age was in the late 90s early 2000.I don't think PC games are dead, but rather the concept of a PC game has given way to the concept of a console game. There will also be PC games but I believe that mainstream game cores are now designed to run on multiple platforms - this is ok but it makes the input logic somewhat limited. I mean, consider FSX - there's literally hundreds of controls. Compare that with flight and you'll see there's not more than 20 or so.

How true! Technology and games were evolving so quickly. My PC just had the internal speaker (horrible), then one day I went to the local software/computer store and they had this new thing called a soundcard. I think it was an Adlib card, and it was expensive but I went ahead and got it. That changed everything!If you ever played the game Wing Commander this sequence was jaw dropping. It might be the first cinematic game sequence ever?? Still gives me chills...
I think Wing Commander was simply superceeded by newer efforts until the final market implosion for those types of games. Fortunately, in some cases (Like Falcon) the fans, the modders, and interested individuals came together and continue the legacy of those old games, even enhancing them far beyond their original lives. (the power of enthusiasm!) :smile:One effort is the Freespace SCP, which is devoted to the continued existance of Freespace, A space fighter "simulater" game from 1999. Graphics have been updated, the engine tweaked to cutting edge standards, and uncounted totally free fan made missions and mods created. Amongst them is a Homage to the Wing Commander of old; a complete remake, in fact. Maybe some efforts along these lines is how FSX will find a way to live on one day, after many have turned off the lights.http://www.wcsaga.com/

Edited by HiFlyer'

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

FSX is a failure, but maybe on a better PC it will shine..maybe..
HelloOn a better PC it does shine, certainly not a failure once you have it running correctly, you have much to look forward to

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.