Sign in to follow this  
Ronald Griffin

NGX Gauges wont come alive

Hello all, Just yesterday I was flying the NGX absolutely fine -- today the NGX doesn't 'initialize' when I load her up. She only loads, and stays with black holes where gauges are suppose to reside. If you need a picture, I'll take one. I don't want to re-install ETC, I've had my fair share of those from the initial release, and I've probably used 90% of my activations due to the product glitching or whatnot. I really don't want to have to sit through a support ticket to get more activiations.Any input would be great, don't want to have to re-install the bird.

Hi RonAs you have made it quite clear that you do not want to go through the ticket process or re install, you are in my opinion very limited to what you can do. The only thing that I can think of is to use sytem restore to try and put your computer back to how it was yesterday or before. If that does not work I think you should bite the bullet and submit a support ticket.Kind RegardsJohn Calleja (armchair pilot)

John Calleja

Picture6.jpg

Hey,It's just I have a habit of fixing things rather than re-installing it straight away. That's why I'm seeing if there are any other solutions. I do not have system restore enabled, so that is not an option for me. Thanks for your input anyhow.

I'm with you Ronald. I think people are way too willing to offer "reinstall" as your only option, when it really isn't. It might be simpler to explain to someone, but I doubt it's the final option in most cases (save for serious errors/blunders). If you've had it working before, chances are, it's not a reinstall type fix. At least on its face...Are you loading from a panel state other than default?Are you loading a saved flight?

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle, thanks for your input.I'm loading from freeflight. I'm not sure if I'm loading any other panel state - I just load the plane fresh as it is, same configuration it came in, only the gauges are not there and the FMC is invisible (shift +3). It seems maybe something has become corrupt, but seeing as how the panel initialization cycle isn't doing it's job I suspect that's the problem, just not sure what it was caused by.

"Sitting through" a ticket will take about 10 minutes...
It's not a matter of the speed of the ticket - it's just I'd rather not waste your, or my time by doing this. I've got my PMDG NGX loaded with a lot of customization, so I thought I'd save us both some trouble by trying to troubleshoot it first ;) Edited by SwiftFoX

Don't be insulted by the following, but did you run the installers and the SP as an administrator (if on Vista/Win7)? Did you get rid of the old .inis and panel saves as directed in the sticky?I'm not sure how that would affect it - I'm just trying some of the major known stuff.

Edited by scandinavian13

Kyle Rodgers

Hmm,I've ran all the installers as administrator, it was a clean install so the old .ini's were wiped out manually by myself in one of these SP revisions.

Just did a quick re-install (ran as admin, wiped old files). Still no luck in the NGX, this tells me it could possibly be something with my FSX installation, and or flexnet server? If I could find out what usually stops the plane from loading its panels and initializing all of its systems, I could perhaps continue troubleshooting.

Edited by SwiftFoX

You loading up at an addon airport, some FSDT and FlightBeam airports can sometimes cause this for me since the manager that runs them will sometimes freak out with the NGX resulting in the NGX or the airport not loading

I could perhaps continue troubleshooting.
Personally, I prefer troubleshooting and think reinstalling is a waste of oppurtunity. Yeah, some (probably more like most) are more likely to take the easy way out (yes, reinstalling is that), but even a week of headaches and actually finding the issue means you can later make quicker observations and corrections while everyone else is still reinstalling.From what you've said, these are the things that come to mind that I would check.*Starting with simplest 1st (meaning try them first).
  1. Hopefully you have a backup fsx.cfg. I would backup your existing one then run it using your backup. It might just be a simple trusted issue for a dll.
  2. Check your windows updates and look for something around the time this started happening. This is one of many reasons to be sure to never have auto updates enabled. Look for the latest .Net patch followed by another close to it .net patch. *If you do not have auto updates on (which is good), check for updates, there will be a .net update to fix it's other "update". After you reboot, or in any case after .net updates, bring up task manager and wait for it's process to finish running since it's still syncing and if you reboot or run certain apps while it's doing that, it will stop dead in its tracks (you can confirm that in your windows event logs).
  3. If you have auto update on, shut it off. Again, make sure you check what it could have installed. If it installed any new drivers to your motherboard chipset, reinstall them (never allow windows to update your drivers,,, ever!).
  4. Set FSX up for window mode if not already in, then exit FSX. Start task manager and go to your process tab. Click the top of the "CPU" column until "System Idle Process" is at or near the top (if not on top, then chances are .net is the one that is and needs to be repaired. Launch FSX while watching the processes and then launch a flight. Continue to monitor the processes not FSX. If anything is spiking the CPU note it down and that's what you'll want to Google.
  5. Hopefully the above worked but if not, and if nothing else does, then you may have a registry issue or both of your fsx.cfg's are possibly corrupt (doubtful, but it happens). The next step would be to properly remove the NGX via control panel. Not it's uninstaller. Manually check for any PMDG folders after, such as in your FSXRoot and in Airplanes. If you find them (FOR the NGX), move them somewhere else for testing. Run CCleaner (not really needed but another step that's can only do good then harm at this point). Then reinstall using admin rights.
  6. Last but not least and always before you or anyone ever thinks of reinstalling FSX (never), Hold down CTRL+Shift on your keyboard while right clicking your shortcut and choose open. If you have FSX installed in your Program folder, or Program (x86) folder, make a note to never do that again, smack yourself silly, then rather than choosing "Open", choose "Run as admin". Continue to hold CTRL+Shift while it loads. It will take a while if done correctly. Continue to hold them down until you get your first "Trusted" message again. This is what I call a last ditch effort and seldomly go there personally, but it will at least save you hours or days of reinstall. All of your options, controls and fsx.cfg will be renewed and is as close as you get to a full reinstall. That will normally fix anything (other than installing it somewhere else other than windows x86 ;)

Other observations and side notes:You have restore off, another "Good" thing.Disable any anti virus crap. If that scares you, disconnect your internet and at least try it. Also check it's quarentine since many people just blindly click "OK, OK, NEXT" and who knows what could be in there from rescent days.Never plug in a controller while FSX is running, or disconnect one for that matter. Major issues there with your standard.xml and registry.Check your event logs for Application and system. System is just a precautionary thing but I check that in these cases anyway (faulty Raid controller was once my issue).

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

"Sitting through" a ticket will take about 10 minutes...
:(

I've had some really frustrating issues solved simply by deleting my fsx.cfg.I think Dan already touched on that though.

Personally, I prefer troubleshooting and think reinstalling is a waste of oppurtunity. Yeah, some (probably more like most) are more likely to take the easy way out (yes, reinstalling is that), but even a week of headaches and actually finding the issue means you can later make quicker observations and corrections while everyone else is still reinstalling.From what you've said, these are the things that come to mind that I would check.*Starting with simplest 1st (meaning try them first).
  1. Hopefully you have a backup fsx.cfg. I would backup your existing one then run it using your backup. It might just be a simple trusted issue for a dll.
  2. Check your windows updates and look for something around the time this started happening. This is one of many reasons to be sure to never have auto updates enabled. Look for the latest .Net patch followed by another close to it .net patch. *If you do not have auto updates on (which is good), check for updates, there will be a .net update to fix it's other "update". After you reboot, or in any case after .net updates, bring up task manager and wait for it's process to finish running since it's still syncing and if you reboot or run certain apps while it's doing that, it will stop dead in its tracks (you can confirm that in your windows event logs).
  3. If you have auto update on, shut it off. Again, make sure you check what it could have installed. If it installed any new drivers to your motherboard chipset, reinstall them (never allow windows to update your drivers,,, ever!).
  4. Set FSX up for window mode if not already in, then exit FSX. Start task manager and go to your process tab. Click the top of the "CPU" column until "System Idle Process" is at or near the top (if not on top, then chances are .net is the one that is and needs to be repaired. Launch FSX while watching the processes and then launch a flight. Continue to monitor the processes not FSX. If anything is spiking the CPU note it down and that's what you'll want to Google.
  5. Hopefully the above worked but if not, and if nothing else does, then you may have a registry issue or both of your fsx.cfg's are possibly corrupt (doubtful, but it happens). The next step would be to properly remove the NGX via control panel. Not it's uninstaller. Manually check for any PMDG folders after, such as in your FSXRoot and in Airplanes. If you find them (FOR the NGX), move them somewhere else for testing. Run CCleaner (not really needed but another step that's can only do good then harm at this point). Then reinstall using admin rights.
  6. Last but not least and always before you or anyone ever thinks of reinstalling FSX (never), Hold down CTRL+Shift on your keyboard while right clicking your shortcut and choose open. If you have FSX installed in your Program folder, or Program (x86) folder, make a note to never do that again, smack yourself silly, then rather than choosing "Open", choose "Run as admin". Continue to hold CTRL+Shift while it loads. It will take a while if done correctly. Continue to hold them down until you get your first "Trusted" message again. This is what I call a last ditch effort and seldomly go there personally, but it will at least save you hours or days of reinstall. All of your options, controls and fsx.cfg will be renewed and is as close as you get to a full reinstall. That will normally fix anything (other than installing it somewhere else other than windows x86 ;)

Other observations and side notes:You have restore off, another "Good" thing.Disable any anti virus crap. If that scares you, disconnect your internet and at least try it. Also check it's quarentine since many people just blindly click "OK, OK, NEXT" and who knows what could be in there from rescent days.Never plug in a controller while FSX is running, or disconnect one for that matter. Major issues there with your standard.xml and registry.Check your event logs for Application and system. System is just a precautionary thing but I check that in these cases anyway (faulty Raid controller was once my issue).

I've tried most of this with no avail. I've re-installed several times now (NGX) - this time I wiped out flexnet's licensing from the folder. This should cause the NGX to ask me for my registration code once more (as it has done in the past). This time however, it does not prompt me for a code. Instead, just loads the model with parts of the engine missing and same story when I load in freeflight, no gauges and no FMC/panels etc. It seems it is having trouble communicating with FLEXnet somehow, any ideas?Another thing that's worth mentioning is no switches inside the VC actually work. Edited by SwiftFoX