Sign in to follow this  
Prowler1111

Xplane 10 Installation issue

Gents:I´m on my 4th attempt to install Xplane10 in my Win7 OS, the installer starts but suddendly, it stops saying the "x" file can be extracted from the DVD since there are too many open files in system..OK, i have run ccleaner and restarted the installation 4 times! and it seems i´m going nowhere, any ideas, pointers, or plain help??Thanks in advanceProwler

Hi, you need to download a different installer, don't use the one from the discs. Have you done that yet?"If you are installing your X-Plane 10 DVDs, do not use the installer that comes on Disc 1; instead, download the updated DVD installer."http://www.x-plane.c...nloads/landing/Glen

Edited by Muskoka

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

Hi there.I had the exact same problem as you.I had a spare pc to hand with a different dvd drive in it that i tested the discs with....I attempted to copy the offending file off the dvd drive onto the hard drive of the pc i was installing it on. This too failed so i just tried another computer with a different dvd drive in it,copied the same exact file and it worked.This led me to the conclusion that my dvd drive was below par,so i swapped them and it installed perfectly.Hope this might point you in the right direction,i'm not saying it's definately the problem,but it will rule it out.regards,dAVE

Same issue, twin drives identical, one always used other sparingly...main drive gave error, second drive worked like a charm....

Here is the solution I found to work with this. Install as much as you can with either the installer on the DVD or the downloaded installer from the X-Plane site. Neither one solved the problem for me. Eventually Cancel the installation and close it out. Go again to the X-Plane site, downloads and now download the X-Plane 10 Updater. Install and run this program. This will scan your failed installation and determine what files you require. The program will download and install them and you will have a working copy (sans Scenery). Note: I require 1.5GB of files to fix mine. Now insert your Disc 1 and select the install Scenery prompt, highlight what areas you want installed and simply enter the correct DVD when prompted. You will have no problem or errors doing this. Good luck with it and enjoy it once you are up and running.

Why shouldn't we run the installer on the DVD? For me it worked great! And one off the topic question, i do not seem to need to insert my DVD every time i have to run X-Plane.

Why shouldn't we run the installer on the DVD? For me it worked great! And one off the topic question, i do not seem to need to insert my DVD every time i have to run X-Plane.

X-Plane 10 will allow you to run without the disk for a few days, then it asks for it again after which you can run for a few more days without it, etc......

And welcome to the Forums!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

http://www.x-plane.com/?p=2415 Yeah, seems like the problem is with the DVD-drive or the DVD itself. Is it always the same dvd/ same file that fails to write to hard-drive? 

Oh the knowledge base also says that x-plane will check for DVD once a week  :wink:

http://www.x-plane.com/downloads/dvd-installation/ - "When you get your X-Plane DVDs, download and run the appropriate DVD installer below. Do not use the installer that comes on the Disc 1 DVD."

My guess is that there is a bug in that installer :)

The first batches of XP10 boxes needed an updated installer from the web site to install properly.

My guess is the latest boxes will probably have an installer that works.

(I just bought an XP10 Global v10.21 set so I will test that theory this weekend).

Do you have an anti-virus that automatically analyzes the disk when it is inserted ? If yes, try to disable it or cancel the analysis before starting the install.

Guillaume

------------------

Guillaume CHARRIER

I had a problem where it would error out on disk 2 every time. I tested it on another computer with the same results. It gave me the choice to ignore or cancel. I clicked ignore and it continued to generate errors for about 15 different files off that DVD.

After it was done, I ran the update and it replaced those missing files off the server and all is well. Ive since replaced the bad DVD with LR.

Rob 

[snip] Ive since replaced the bad DVD with LR.

Rob

How was that process? I sometimes worry that my DVD drive will one day get hungry and eat disc 1...