hi all,as we all know, nvidia has always been the card for flightsim, whether being fs9 or fsx. A while back I decided to upgrade my nvidia gtx 9800 and made the switch to ATI(now AMD) for a change. I now have the radeon HD 6950 2GB which has been sufficient for my gaming whenever i have time to sit down and play. Now, recently i decided to start simming again and am reading everywhere that nvidia still is the undisputed queen of cards for fs. If i were to switch back again, what would be the equal or better nvidia counter part for my current 6950? my current setup is as follows: gigabyte ep45 ud3r mobo with a Q9550 @ 3.6ghz, gskill 8gb ddr2 800mhz 5 5 5 15 2T, 120gb SSD(OS+fsx+dcsA10+battlefield3+random apps), SB xfi sound card, corsair hx620 psu, 2x320gbRAID0, 1.5TB WD, 2x23.6" Asus LCDs at 1920x1080. I only run the games in one screen so this goes for fsx which i run in windowed mode. So back to the question, which Nvidia starting from the equal rival and upwards to i guess the 580 and above? If i find a reasonable card at a reasonable price i might sell mine and put in a little extra cash to get an nvidia.Thank you

I just did this.6950 to 580, and running at 2560x1600.The 580 is a beast. While you will not get double the frame rates or any such nonsense, you will be able to crank up the aa and af to absurd levels. I recommend googling nivida fsx guide, and follow the setup instructions by pmdg using nvidia inspector, my lord it looks amazing.-GP.S. ever notice how sucky the 6950 is in windowed mode? The 580 takes less of an fps hit also.

Edited by gmohr

Hi.I've experimented with GTX 570, Hd 6970 and other Videos. The best experience I had / have is with the AMD cards. They have very clean display, great colors and in my case I got better performance with FSX, and XP9 and XPX, than with the 570. Your 6950 can easily be overclocked to get very close to standard 6970, and or you can burn a 6970 Bios into it, if you have an older card. You may be able to get some more speed out of your Q8550, with a good cooling system. I would try to get the max out of the system before getting something else, first. TV

Hi.I've experimented with GTX 570, Hd 6970 and other Videos. The best experience I had / have is with the AMD cards. They have very clean display, great colors and in my case I got better performance with FSX, and XP9 and XPX, than with the 570. Your 6950 can easily be overclocked to get very close to standard 6970, and or you can burn a 6970 Bios into it, if you have an older card. You may be able to get some more speed out of your Q8550, with a good cooling system. I would try to get the max out of the system before getting something else, first. TV
TBH im pretty happy with my current setup....i have the corsair H50 cooler for the cpu and i decided to leave it at 3.6 when ive gotten up to 3.8 np...perhaps in the future i will push it more but for now i want to be conservative....as for the the gpu, im running the 6970 bios but shaders only, no overclock on it....is it really worth overclocking? ive always noticed that with overclocking video cards the improvement is not that much as opposed to overclocking a cpu...

Hi.".is it really worth overclocking?" the GPUNot really. I had a HD 6950 that I ran at 900 and 1400, and only gave me about 2-3 FPS vs stock, but you can do it and it will cost you nothing, just get your fan set for about 60%. You should be able to run at 840 and 1350 forever. I never got to see the GPU used above 81% even at stock speed.The clarity you get from the AMD is unmatched, just look at the water reflections from the clouds and compare. My 570 looked like it had some strange pimples like visuals in certain places, and I tried all kinds of settings an drivers.I was able to get the 11.12 drivers for the HD to work very well with FSX and XPX, just set all max in CCC. TV

Edited by Avcomware

Interesting, because my experience is just the opposite. On my 6950 (unlocked, stock clock), the AA and AF modes I was able to get working looked "ok". On the 580, I'm running 4xMSAA/2xSSAA + transparency, and the world looks dramatically better. I wonder what else is at work to produce this difference, and of couse the FPS is better, but it is a 580 not a 570.Regards,George

I too have marvelled at those saying they get a better look with their AMD's. Gawd knows I've tried. I have a 6970 that I dropped into my PC several times only to find no matter what I tweak I just can't aliviate a few of the issues (like shimmer, moire effect), at least to the point of satisfaction. So I use a 580. Wonder if the new 7990's(?) will be any different. My only thinking is that AMD may make some changes to their drivers to match up better with MS Flighty which may in turn help FSX and FS9. I have read there are issues with AMD cards even with the beta testers.ClutchTo origianl OP, you may want to post this in the hardware forums to get a better responce.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit