Sign in to follow this  
ArjenVdv

I'm about to order my new graphics card...

Hi,As my signature says, GTX 320 1024MB (upgrading soon), well, that upgrading, I'm gonna do today. But before regretting any decisions I make, I thought, let's just ask some last advice. Because, I STILL can't decide which graphics card to buy. I use my PC for FSX only, other gaming I do on my PS3. Since I few weeks, I had already decided that I was gonna buy an EVGA GTX 580 DS Superclocked. But now, I'm starting to doubt again, after reading some topics, where Ryan said that anything from the GTX 460 to the GTX 580 will perform pretty much equally in FSX. Well, I don't know if that's true. DId anyone upgrade from a GTX 460 to the GTX 580 and noticed any performance increase? Well, a new graphics card that I just discovered is the NVIDIA GTX 560TI-448, which is not a regular GTX 560TI, with 384 shader units, but this one has 448 shader units. Well, I can get from from EVGA with their DS cooler, for 286 euros. Looks OK to me. It's got 1280MB of RAM. Which is plenty for FSX. Well, I was just wondering, if a GTX 580 will perform much better in FSX? Someone who only had a GTX 580 and no other card in the 400 or 500 series can't tell me this of course... Btw, I do have money for the GTX 580. And yes, I know that FSX is 75% CPU dependant. But upgrading from my current badass GPU to a new one will definately make some difference.I hope you can give me some last minute advice!Thanks,And btw, I know this is not entirely PMDG related, BUT, this is very populated forum with a lot of clever people that know a lot and can give me some good advice.

Edited by arjenfsx

I have a GTX570 and it works great. I would have purchased the 580 but opted to put more money into an SSD drive. Only would have purchased the 580 because I would have wanted to still be compatible with games for the next 2-3 years.A major difference between recent cards may not be noticeable in FSX but probably in other games.

I have a GTX570 and it works great. I would have purchased the 580 but opted to put more money into an SSD drive. Only would have purchased the 580 because I would have wanted to still be compatible with games for the next 2-3 years.A major difference between recent cards may not be noticeable in FSX but probably in other games.
Yeah GTX 570 is good. The one from Asus has Gold Award at a Dutch site. But that card takes up 3 slots doesn't it? So I won't be able to put another one in SLI in the future?

I don't remember it taking 3 slots but I clearly remember that I had room for at least one more card.Don't think I'll be doing that, probably just upgrade from here.

HiI too have just upgraded to a GeForce GTX570HD as I only have FSX on that computer I decided that a 580 was overkill. Am more than happy with the performance.

If it is not too late and you have ordered already, go for the EVGA 580 GTX.Kind regards,
Well, it is too late now. Because I have just ordered my EVGA GTX 560TI-448 1280 MB. This is not a regular GTX 560TI, which has 384 shader units, but this one, is a special version, which has 448 shader units. And also, it's got 1280MB of RAM instead of 1024. This means that the GTX 560TI-448 is more like a GTX 570. I have taken Ryan's advice, and not bought the best graphics card there was. He said anything from the GTX 460 to the GTX 580 will perform pretty much equally in FSX. So that's why I decided to buy a cheaper graphics card. Right now I have much more money left for other things like a new set of speakers, an SSD and a new HDD. Also just bought the 737NGX 6700 expansion, if I had bought the GTX 580, I wouldn't have had money for that. And considering that I'm already quite happy with my performance at the moment, with my bad graphics card (GTX 320), I'm getting around 25-30 fps in most cases. And in heavy scenery along with bad weather I'm getting around 18-22 fps. So that new GPU will give me some more power I guess. And also, I think I have made a good choice buying the EVGA version.