Sign in to follow this  
Geoffabc

LED's and Switches

Hi all I hope you can help a complete newby here. I am building a simple panel to house some switches to control the Nav Landing and other lights on the PMDG 737NGX. I want an LED to light up when the switch is in the on position but not sure how to go about wiring the switch to the LED? I believe there is a danger of sending a voltage straight through the computer mother board. I intend using the BU0836X board from Leo Bodnar as the FSX interface and I do realise I need a separate power supply for the LEDs. Can anybody help with a wiring diagram and some advice on what LEDs to use.I did do a search using numerous keywords but nothing relevant came up.Thanks, Geoff

Hi Geoff,Basically you need to use DPDT toggle switches. They have 6 poles. you use one side of 3 poles for your function connections, and the other side of 3 poles for your LED connections.I have a B17 cockpit, and have posted on the A2A forums on how I did things. There are parts of the post where I show this.Here is the link: http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22072Hope it can help you out. If you need more help just let me know.Bill

Hi Bill, sorry for not getting back sooner but life has a habit of interfering. Thank you so much for this link it has explained a lot, I now feel more confident in doing my little project.Best Regards,Geoff...

1) Leo Bodner's BU0836X board is for inputs only. There is no way to connect an LED to this board.

2) LEDs require a resister (IF its not already built into the output card that allows for outputs). The resisters are required for LEDs because most LEDs are like 1-2v and the power you are sending maybe 5v in which case it will burn out the LED unless you have a resister.

Search You tube for LED connectivity lessons. They well explained and quite easy. Also Polarity is important for LEDs.

Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

The BU0836X has a +5v and GND connection. I use this for LEDs as describe by Bill. Works a treat.

Chris.

Christopher Bell.

The BU0836X has a +5v and GND connection. I use this for LEDs as describe by Bill. Works a treat.

Chris.

Hi Chris. How do you operate the LEDs from the flght sim? Give me an example of one LED that is linked to which part of the aircraft and how do you turn it on and off that reflects a light from the aircraft.

I would love to use it for that... but I read that this card cannot be used as output

Manny

Manny

Hi Manny,

I notice on Leo's web site ( http://www.leobodnar...oducts/BU0836X/ ) that the picture of his BU0836X (on the bottom,) has the eight three way connections for the analogue inputs, (GND, X and +5v), a single space, then the GND, Up, RGT, DWN and LFT connectors for the POV. Then buttons 1 to 8 with their GND.

I have two of these boards and they both have an extra +5v connector where the space is.

I use this +5v from the board which I then drop down with a resistor to the voltage of the LED I'm using. I wire the LEDs in parallel, so it's one resistor for each LED.

In FSX I use a registered version of FSUIPC to control the switches.

So for the Nav light I use 'Toggle Nav', for Landing Lights it is 'Landing On' and 'Landing Off'. This does not work with all aircraft though. For example, for the PMDG 747 or 737 I have to setup macros.

The switches I use are DPDT, so one side controls the button(s), the other turns on the LED(s).

Hope this helps,

Chris.

Christopher Bell.

Thanks Chris... If I have understood you correctly, The FSim is not controlling the LEDs...Its the DPDT switch that gives power to the LEDs, by turning on the Switch, you are sending a switch signal to the Flight sim and then allowing the +5v to power on the LED at the same time.

Right?

Do you think, it would be possible to turn on the LEDs without throwing a switch? Meaning.. if the OMI Radio Beacon Indicator lights (Outer, Middle, Inner Beacon lights that come on when on an ILS approach) come on in the Radio Panel, could that be made to trigger the LEDs?

Manny

Manny

Thanks Chris... If I have understood you correctly, The FSim is not controlling the LEDs...Its the DPDT switch that gives power to the LEDs, by turning on the Switch, you are sending a switch signal to the Flight sim and then allowing the +5v to power on the LED at the same time.

That's correct.

Do you think, it would be possible to turn on the LEDs without throwing a switch? Meaning.. if the OMI Radio Beacon Indicator lights (Outer, Middle, Inner Beacon lights that come on when on an ILS approach) come on in the Radio Panel, could that be made to trigger the LEDs?

Yes, I think this is possible, but one step at a time. I am still learning myself.

Chris.

Christopher Bell.

Right?

Manny

Hi Manny the Bu0836x card only allows inputs through the card , it does not work with outputs from the sim/aircraft i.e the outer marker etc output from the aircraft cannot be sent back through the BU0836x card to operate an led,for that you need an output card which are widely available.

regards Jim

............the Bu0836x card only allows inputs through the card , it does not work with outputs from the sim/aircraft i.e the outer marker etc output from the aircraft cannot be sent back through the BU0836x card to operate an led.............

I agree jnr.

................. to operate an led,for that you need an output card which are widely available.

Could you point me in the correct direction on this one jnr. A link or two maybe.

Thank you.

Hi there, I have a Jetmax setup and I am having trouble getting the LEDS to light up on the landing gear and flap gauge. Can anyone help me I would appreciated. All the other lights work except those ones.