Sign in to follow this  
Kenny Writes

Are you a aircraft person or scenery person?

We all have addons and preferences; some prefer better aircraft, and some need custom scenery to make it right. But what do you prefer? Airplane or scenery?You can't say both, if your in doubt, just count how many scenery addons VS airplane addons you have, and there you go.If you want, tell me why, and what your favorite airplane or scenery is!I prefer airplane than scenery; as scenery kills FPS and airplane your in the entire flight.My fav airplane is the NGX by pmdg.

Them fancy flying machines ;)For short, definitely the NGX...best thing everfor medium...CS 757for long...good ole 744x from pmdgsee a pattern?

Kenny, I will say both, sorry. Without one you cannot have the other IMO. I started with adding any AC that I could find when I first started flight simming but then scenery became an important factor and I am now adding airports every few weeks, kind of reminds me of one of my childhood friends dad who added a new car or locomotive to his train set after shopping every Friday after he got paid. Hobbies are quite addictive no matter what you do.

\Robert Hamlich/

When it comes to having to turn something down for performance reasons, the aircraft is always going to win. I'll turn off the very last scenery feature before turning down anything significant on the aircraft, seeing as though that's what you're looking at for 90% of the time.When flying low and slow, the aircraft are usually not resource hogs anyway so it doesn't matter as much. I love my "world" in FSX, all my scenery and airports and so on, but..Flying IFR in a complex jet, the scenery is always going to get the boot first.

Airplanes, and I've got a bunch, and all of them have pluses and minuses which is why I like the variety...CapSim 707,727,757,767,C-130, PMDG 737NGX,747,CLS 747,MD-8 0,A330/340, RealAir Duke,SF260,Aerosoft DA-20, IRIS most of them, love their f-14, A-10A and DA-40..A2A Piper Cub,P-40, Ant's Drifter and Tigermoth, Carenado PA46T, C208 Grand Caravan, EagleSoft Citation X 2, JustFlight Hawker Hurricane, Perfect Flight L-1011, and then lots of freeware (Tom Ruth, Project Airbus, POSKY etc)... and yes, I fly them all regularly (most were bought during various sales)... I would love the MD-11 but find it tough to pull the $ 8 0 trigger...I'm waiting for the Airbus X v2 to come out...I love jets, GA and military planes. I am a plane nerd. :( [sarcasm] I hope I can use all of my planes in Flight! :( [/sarcasm]That said, I do own some scenery, but there is so much to explore without, that if you are flying around boring places, I'd suggest thinking outside the box to expand your flight area....that's why I like a mix of jet flying, and also GA flying into very small remote airstrips....mixes it up a bit. Additionally with UTX/GEX/REX, everything looks much better...plus I also use TileProxy and there is some great freeware sceneries out there.For instance, try KCZK (Cascade Locks State Airport east of Portland) with a GA aircraft...single runway...both approaches are tricky and fun....one off of the water, the other with trees blocking... and it's beautiful country when not fogged in.... Sitka, Alaska? Easter Island? Or go check out all of the islands that were part of the encounters in the Pacific during WWII http://upload.wikime...US_landings.jpg.

Edited by gtrbarbarian

Scenery without a doubt, the airplane is just a vehicle used to look at the scenery :) .(a person still needs a nice aircraft to look at scenery though, Carenado suits me quite well)

I reckon I must be a scenery person, as I have Genesis Mesh, UTX, GEX, and REX2 OD, and no addon aircraft...Maybe someday!

For me definitely scenery.The majority of the a/c I own I either rarely fly or have completely removed from my system. To be frank, since I am mostly interested in flying airliners in FSX, once the NGX was released and it being the ONE a/c I have wanted since I switched to FSX, I haven't found much need for my other airliner inventory. In fact, the only reason I own the CaptSim 727/757, LDS767, Ejets, and the PMDG 747 and JS4100, was just for somthing to use prior to the NGX comming out. I honestly dont have much interest in any of those other airliners that I own and prior to the NGX comming out I mostly flew the LDS 767. Not sure if I will even buy anymore a/c going forward for FSX now that I have the NGX and the 737 is my favorite airliner. Just the other day I tried to fly the LDS 767 for the first time since the NGX was released and I didn't even get to the 4th way point in the SID before I couldn't take the low res VC anymore and exited out of the flight. Funny that I used to think the LDS VC looked pretty good until I had gotten used to the NGX VC and now I can't settle for anything less that lower textures.That being said, I am all about buying addon airports and the occasional photoscenery package. Since I enjoy airliners and already have GEX installed, there isn't much more that I need besides some good looking accurate airports to fly into. Granted, like some one else said, you're not there for a long time, but I just can't take the look of flying something like the NGX into a default airport. Going forward I look forward to rounding out my collection of US hubs and look forward to Flightbeams KPHX and hopefully sometime a nice KMSP, KIND, and maybe TropicalSims KDCA.As much a I love scenery there is a fair amount that I own and never use. I spent around $300 or so on all my ORBX stuff and have probably flown less than 20 hours combined between the PNW and Australia, not because there is anything wrong with it, but more because it just isn't areas I am interested in and in the case of the PNW its more suited to g/a adventures. I can say that the majority of my Euro scenery rarely gets used either. I've done a few hops between LSGG/LSZH and LFMN, but have only used all my other airports in Europe a handfull of times.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

HiGood questionI am a photoscenery person. It reminds me of the good old times when I used to fly.What bothers me with the majority of the beautiful aircraft that are released is that, with the exception of A2A aircraft, you can make flying errors and there are no consequences. How many aircraft simulate flap overspeed for example? I had a friend who was fired from his flying school for this error.

Since A2A P-47 and RealAir Turbine Duke I'm a Aircraft guy.

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Mostly scenery--good quality photoreal. I use the sim to virtualy "visit" areas that interest me. That being said, however, A2A's P-47 and Cub are my favorite aircraft to fly in this pursuit because of their "presence". I also use a few of Caranado's high wing props for variety's sake.Rich

Scenery for me! also I can live with a few good aircraft but I need lots of scenery to enjoy the world lol :( :(

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

How can it not be both? What good is a great add-on plane if you are flying it into a default airport and what good is a phenomenal add-on scenery if you are flying a default plane?

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest jahman
You can't say both
Yes I can: Both!What I enjoy is a RW flying experience, and that to me requires:
  1. Scenery
  2. Aircraft
  3. FPS.

Cheers,- jahman.Cheers,- jahman.

I reckon I must be a scenery person, as I have Genesis Mesh, UTX, GEX, and REX2 OD, and no addon aircraft...Maybe someday!
I wouldn't fly without those either, although I do not buy individual airport sceneries (or small area sceneries). Then again I have NEVER flown the default aircraft either !!!G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron