Sign in to follow this  
Paul12

Do not install FSX in the default directory

I was reading the PMDG-737 manual and noticed that it is suggested to installthe FSX into a different directory then the default.I tried that but it seems FSX provides no other option.Did anyone of you do this and how ?Did you notice a better performance ?Hubert Werni

Herbert Werni

It's mostly related to file permissions and some "security" features that are inherent in Windows 7/Vista. I myself did install it in the default directory, but UAC and most if not all of Window's strange security features are disabled on my PC. I haven't noticed any problems myself.

I've tried both ways and notice no difference. I'm currently using the default directory with no problems.

Chris Hicks

You can install FSX where you want. I don't recall exactly but if you choose a custom install, it lets you indicate the drive and path where to install. I never installed it in the default directory, so I cannot comment on performance.jos denis

Regardless of whether there is any disadvantage with installing into the default directory, i don,t want any apps other than those where i have no choice, on my O/S hard drive.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I was reading the PMDG-737 manual and noticed that it is suggested to installthe FSX into a different directory then the default.I tried that but it seems FSX provides no other option.Did anyone of you do this and how ?Did you notice a better performance ?Hubert Werni
During install, you get a question of where you want to install.Bert Van Bulck

Best thing to do is if your have 2 hard drives is Install FSX on the 2nd drive, along with all your FS programs.If you run FSX on a seperate drive then Windows can be accessed from C: and FSX from D: at the same time. (Two heads is better than one or rather 2 hard drives is faster than 1)

Edited by UAL115

You have to select Custom Install to pick the install folder.
During install, you get a question of where you want to install.Bert Van Bulck
I got about halfway through the install on my new computer before I realized it never asked (like most things do). Like Ryan said, you have to click custom install or it'll just go to Program Files by default.

Steve Caffey