Sign in to follow this  

Hey guys, I'm currently running FSX on a 24" 1920x1200 LCD, and a very nice setup it is too. However, in the future, when I have some dosh (whenever) I want to go to a three monitor setup, in the meantime I want to utilise an Acer 17" LCD which I've had hanging around my sim pit for the past twelve months. Today I decided to drop the 9" Lilliput monitor which I use for the GPS (anyone want to buy it drop me a PM) in favour of this larger screen. After hooking it up and dragging the FOs panels across from the NGX on the mainscreen, I was very pleased, however, as half expected there was a frame drop of about 20%, more than I would have liked. My question is, can I use a second GPU in the extra slot, and use it purely for the panels. I am in the dark when it comes to second GPUs so bear with me. Is this what is referred to as SLI, if so do the two GPU's need to be the same or can I use a second GPU purely for the instruments. I was hoping I could hook up maybe a cheapie GPU like a GT9600 or something similar. Like I said fellas, please reply in words of one syllable with this 'cos it's all new! Cheers...EDIT: I GUESS I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN HEARING THE BEST WAY OF DOING THIS WITHOUT COSTING ME A FORTUNE! I MUST ADD THAT I COULD HAVE ACCESS TO A SECOND PC TOO.

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Disregard my post guys. I've sorted it. Thanks...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

If you don't mind Rockliffe, So what's the answer? Oh FYI, (since I have been following your posts here and at Orbx), I took the plunge into SLI... well let's say I am still plunging. I picked up (3) 27" LED 1920x1080 displays. Quite overwhelming I must say - taking time to get used you. I feel almost like I am in a tanning bed with all these pixels hiyting my retina's, ha! But they fit nicely into my simpit.Found out that your 2nd GPU it must be the same series card (I knew that) and must have the same amount of RAM on board (did not know that). I have a 1.5GB and the new 580 was 3GB. Was hoping just to try SLI and see if I like it but no go. So back to the shop to return it. And of course that means I have to pick up two 3GB boards. Gawd forbid I go backwards with technology and pick up a 2nd 1.5 GB card. So much for a simple (and inexpensive upgrade). So it's gonna cost around two grand just to see if I like having pixels go past the sides of my eyes. Oh, what we won't do (or spend) for this hobby!Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

If you don't mind Rockliffe, So what's the answer? Oh FYI, (since I have been following your posts here and at Orbx), I took the plunge into SLI... well let's say I am still plunging. I picked up (3) 27" LED 1920x1080 displays. Quite overwhelming I must say - taking time to get used you. I feel almost like I am in a tanning bed with all these pixels hiyting my retina's, ha! But they fit nicely into my simpit.Found out that your 2nd GPU it must be the same series card (I knew that) and must have the same amount of RAM on board (did not know that). I have a 1.5GB and the new 580 was 3GB. Was hoping just to try SLI and see if I like it but no go. So back to the shop to return it. And of course that means I have to pick up two 3GB boards. Gawd forbid I go backwards with technology and pick up a 2nd 1.5 GB card. So much for a simple (and inexpensive upgrade). So it's gonna cost around two grand just to see if I like having pixels go past the sides of my eyes. Oh, what we won't do (or spend) for this hobby!Clutch
Hi mate, sure, at the moment I simply wanted to use an old 17" LCD for putting some instruments on. Basically the Garmin 500 when in GA and the main panels with the NGX. I do get a small hit, but not ad high as I had originally thought when I made the post. Probably about an 8% hit. However, like you, I've been thinking about three monitors, but it won't be for some time yet, money is a little scarce so maybe later in the year. I've been looking at as much info as possible over the past couple of weeks and have to say what a minefield! As for your kit, is it necessary to have two 3gb boards? Have you thought about a single GTX590? Anyway, I'm very interested hearing about your progress. Keep us all informed.

Howard