Sign in to follow this  
ACA034137

Is 7 worth the risk?

Hey all,I'm currently running Vista 64bit, and am considering buying the upgrade to Windows 7 64bit. I know the installer isn't supposed to mess with any of my programs, but I'm still abit leary about doing it. Has anybody done the upgrade from Vista to 7?

I did the move from Vista to 7, and I much prefer 7 to Vista. Its mainly because 7 doesn't update its self every day or so like Vista does! When I used Vista I would sometimes do long haul flights, and my computer would shut down because of the updates Vista had to undergo!! That really annoyed me from time to time and I wanted a better more reliable OS other than Vista. So Windows 7 came along... At first I was a bit wary about buying 7 because of the previous program "Vista". So a few months after reviewing it and reading other people's comments on it I thought it was worth the hop to 7. I got Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, I was very happy with it until about 4/5 months later when I got a notification stating that my version of Windows was not genuine. So I emailed my friend, he sent me a link to a website where you can download a program which will fix this error for you. Works great. I would recommend the jump from Vista to 7, But make sure to update Windows frequently (Not every minute of every day) but enough so that Windows doesn't notify you of any upcoming updates it needs to Install!! I was cot the other day though as I was doing a flight from Tel Aviv to Toronto with the PMDG 744, All went ok until I was taxiing to the gate, when my computer decided to shut down because it needed to apply some update, 10hrs 41mins gone to waste. "Atleast I landed though :)".

I think the OP meant if it was worth the risk of upgrading his Vista to 7 with a installer, not wether he should move to 7 or not. :) I would not recommend a ugrade install, but a clean install of Win 7.. It takes some time to back everything up and have to install everything again. But that way your get the best out of windows 7 and you don't have any old vista files takin harddrive space :)

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I did the move from Vista to 7, and I much prefer 7 to Vista. Its mainly because 7 doesn't update its self every day or so like Vista does! When I used Vista I would sometimes do long haul flights, and my computer would shut down because of the updates Vista had to undergo!!
It's called settings. :Nerd:Go on Windows Update, and then choose Never Check for Updates (not recommended).

Or, check for updates but let me decide which one to download and install. Or something like that...But I would never update an OS. Always do a clean install. First of all, in theory it should work. In practice you always have the risk that it does not work and then you need a lot of time to sort everything out.So I suggest that you backup everything, format your windows drive, and do a clean W7 install.Dion Mollert

It's called settings. :Nerd:Go on Windows Update, and then choose Never Check for Updates (not recommended).
And you should have added manualy install updates. Just turning off is not a good idea is it ? :(

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

And you should have added manualy install updates. Just turning off is not a good idea is it ?
That's what I have mine set to, but Ciaran seemed ###### so I thought for him to just turn it off completely.
:(
:(

I had a stable Vista Ultimate 64. Upgrade to W7 Ultimate x64Why an upgrade ... mainly because there were too many development tools to mention/reinstall.No difficulty (except occasional bluescreen, solved by updating the Intel RAID drivers manually -- this was a driver wait-state issue)This was some time ago.I would do it. Win7 is streets better than Vista. Just update key drivers afterward (RAID, Gfx, Chipset).

If you're already on a 64-bit os I'd stick with it until you're ready for a full os install, like upgrading the computer.

Ha I saw "Is 7" and I thought it first read ls7 (the engine) and I got all excited.However, don't do it unless you have to. No reason to if you are happy with vista. I wouldn't trust it and do a backup and reformat the drive, but you should be fine. Now did you build your computer? Reason I ask is do you know what drivers you need to run?