Sign in to follow this  
sascha

Re: Rex v2 Extreme Review

Rex does not cover land textures and never has. I suppose you mean airport textures as opposed to land textures.Land textures are forest, field, town etc. textures.It would be nice if you corrected that part of the review because I (and probably lots of other simmers) are just waiting for a land texture add-on besides GEX (Ground Environment Extreme) and REX is not it!

Rex does not cover land textures and never has. I suppose you mean airport textures as opposed to land textures.Land textures are forest, field, town etc. textures.It would be nice if you corrected that part of the review because I (and probably lots of other simmers) are just waiting for a land texture add-on besides GEX (Ground Environment Extreme) and REX is not it!
Sorry, I meant land textures. I will correct that as soon as possible.Hope ou enjoyed reading it.Aaron G.

Good review, but you should have included your own screenshots of the product in action. Let us see how the product actually looks like to the average simmer. Let's face it, the product is not going to look like the screenshots from the developer unless you have a good rig and run FSX with the graphics maxed out.All other reviews I have read at Avsim include screenshots from the reviewer himself which is the way it should be. No offense, but using the screenshots from the developer makes the review seem lazy and more like an advertisement, IMO.

Good review, but you should have included your own screenshots of the product in action. Let us see how the product actually looks like to the average simmer. Let's face it, the product is not going to look like the screenshots from the developer unless you have a good rig and run FSX with the graphics maxed out.All other reviews I have read at Avsim include screenshots from the reviewer himself which is the way it should be. No offense, but using the screenshots from the developer makes the review seem lazy and more like an advertisement, IMO.
I understand what you mean. It was because the product was so vast and huge I simple didn't have time to do all screenshots. I was able to replicate everything in the screenshots and get it look identical to the screenshots and beside FSX settings don't have how clouds look. I will try to include screenshots of what I see in future, if you looked at other reviews I have written you will see it was a one off.Thanks for your feedback.Aaron G. Edited by Flight Sim Geek

Howdy,If you will permit me to assist a bit here I have owned REX2+OD for well over a year and was actually the first one to order it on the USB stick....go me lol Big%20Grin.gifA couple of notes before I show off some images from my system:Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.5GHzASUS GTX550 1Gb Ti Direct Cu with driver set 285.58ASUS P5P41TD board4Gb RAM (3.5 enabled)WIN XP 32b SP3WD Caviar Black HDDPretty bog standard system. No Sandy Bridge...nothing fancy.1-The install time is completely normal due to the huge number of textures and backups of default being made during the install process. I would strongly recommend a full defrag upon completion of the installation prior to running anything...as you would for any significant install.2-When the UI goes "quiet" for a couple of seconds the reason is again REX loading textures for you to look at.3-The textures cover clouds, sky color, lighting, runways, taxiways, aprons, and of course water.4-REX ranks for me as the single most useful comprehensive add-on available for FSX. Period. Simply because it transforms the global flight environment in one fell swoop taking it from mundane to magical. I have REX for X-Plane as well...while not as dramatic it still makes things lovely.OK...let me illustrate off my system:Hopefully you find this helpful. I am constantly amazed at what REX is capable of showing. All fully customized to user preference. I am sure another user could chime in with shots of the lighting and runway/taxiway/apron transformations.CheersTed**edit**Haha I am actually not sure if the last shot is REX...but it looks nice :Peace:**edit**No retouching on the above. All original "as displayed". And you can tweak virtually every aspect of the included textures to your hearts content and then forget about it. I change themes (your complete package of transformation textures) perhaps once every 3 months and then forget about it.One more note....the UI is utterly simple and intuitive. And the support from the REX folks is generally top notch (Reed...my REXPlane WYSys is still awaiting your attention mate dirol.gif .Oh...and two more bonus images. Here you will see some of the lighting and runway/apron changes from default (this is PAKT if you want to compare to default FSX). And its a little sneak preview of my current review piece too.

AVSIM Staff Reviewer
Bush Is Good!
banTedG01.jpg

I understand what you mean. It was because the product was so vast and huge I simple didn't have time to do all screenshots. I was able to replicate everything in the screenshots and get it look identical to the screenshots and beside FSX settings don't have how clouds look. I will try to include screenshots of what I see in future, if you looked at other reviews I have written you will see it was a one off.Thanks for your feedback.Aaron G.
Alright, fair enough. I understand the product is huge but a few screenshots from you would have helped a lot. You say the product looks fantastic but you dont show us how it looks on your sim. If you are going to give a product 5 stars and an award you must use your own screenshots to make the review more credible. When you take screenshots from the developer and comment on them it seems that you are reviewing the product based on the screenshots given to you rather than what you experienced yourself. The whole point of doing a review is to show if the product delivers as advertised. Since you posted zero screenshots of your own we have to take your word for it when you say that product looks as good as the screenshots. BTW, I'm sure the product does look fantastic, but my whole issue is about credibility as developers tend to make their products look better than they really are in their screenshots. Just my 2 cents.Thanks For the screenshots Ted. That's what I'm talking about!

BTW, I'm sure the product does look fantastic, but my whole issue is about credibility as developers tend to make their products look better than they really are in their screenshots.
Easy killer Big%20Grin.gifREX does exactly as it states on the tin! And then some! A zillion utterly satisfied users ain't wrong either.

AVSIM Staff Reviewer
Bush Is Good!
banTedG01.jpg

Easy killer Big%20Grin.gifREX does exactly as it states on the tin! And then some! A zillion utterly satisfied users ain't wrong either.
Trust me, I'm not doubting REX delivers but even then, a reviewer should use his own screenshots for credibility/objectivity sake. That's all :)

Sorry, I meant land textures. I will correct that as soon as possible.Hope ou enjoyed reading it.Aaron G.
Yes, I liked your review style. I hope you didn't take my comments as flaming the whole review, I just wanted to make that point on the land textures.By the way, I got myself a copy of REX for FS9 for christmas and am very pleased with it so I can relate to your enthusiasm for the product.Have a nice weekend,Sascha

Alright, fair enough. I understand the product is huge but a few screenshots from you would have helped a lot. You say the product looks fantastic but you dont show us how it looks on your sim. If you are going to give a product 5 stars and an award you must use your own screenshots to make the review more credible. When you take screenshots from the developer and comment on them it seems that you are reviewing the product based on the screenshots given to you rather than what you experienced yourself. The whole point of doing a review is to show if the product delivers as advertised. Since you posted zero screenshots of your own we have to take your word for it when you say that product looks as good as the screenshots. BTW, I'm sure the product does look fantastic, but my whole issue is about credibility as developers tend to make their products look better than they really are in their screenshots. Just my 2 cents.Thanks For the screenshots Ted. That's what I'm talking about!
Errr, I do put in some screenshots of how it looks on my system not all screenshots are from the guys over at REX. I am always welcome to critical feedback.Aaron G.

Point taken on Aaron's use of developers screenshots and not all of his own. This is the first occurance for him.I too have used this product and will echo the comments that it does exactly as advertised and produces great environmental experiences.

I do feel the review sounds a bit "advertisish" if that is a word. I have purchased REX and based on one 5-minute flight (I'm now defragging) I'm sold. But I think it would help to explain exactly why it works so well. I too feel that using dev's screenshots doesn't really give us the flavour if an unbiased and thorough review.Not to be piling on.Dave