Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

What is this sound at touchdown?

Look at this video and at 5:53-5:54 in the video at the very moment of touchdown there is a sound like something starts spinning for a second or so or how to describe it. I've heard this sound in many IRL 737NG video clips just at the moment of touchdown.What is this sound and I don't think I ever heard it in the NGX so I guess it isn't modeled or maybe I'm always too much at my toes during touch down to notice it :( Next flight in the NGX I'll try to listen very carefully for this sound.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iSVZJVcKl4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Richard Åsberg

HiI don't have the 737NGX, but I have the PMDG 747X (and fs9). It should be the speedbrake lever moving from ARM to FULL - the sound heard at about 5:52

Edited by SLKVP

Sam. 

Waiting for the 64-bit PSION Flightsim for ZX-Spectrum ////

yep it is the speedbreak deploying and modeld landing checklist item speedbreak armed check green lightand the other ratteling noice is just the wheels running over ground

Isn't that the reverse thrust kicking in?
and not even close they are on IDLE reverse and autobrake 1 or 2 i presume it is hard to tell.Regards,Niels van den berg Edited by niels12345

There are two sounds that I an hear. The spoilers deploying. Which is in the PMDG NGX. I thought they did a good job of that. :smile:And the sound after that is probably the nose wheels bumping over the runnway lights. Probably not a very easy thing to emulate in FSX in fairness.

Edited by joolsd

Ok, thanks guys for your replies!I would have guessed on the speedbrakes deploying but wasn't 100% sure and honestly can't remember I heard this sound in the NGX (of course with speedbrakes armed) but will listen real carefully on my next landing.Now when looking at the video again and to be more precise the sound I'm thinking of is playing between 05:54-05:56 at least when looking at the video using my iPhone 4 and fast forwarding to this sequence.

Richard Åsberg

Looking through the various NGX sounds I find the sound file with this very sound, it's called PMDG_737_SpeedBrakeLeverDeploy and is found in the F:Program Files (x86)Microsoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XSoundPMDG737NGXLevers folder.Like I said previously I can't remember I heard this sound when landing the NGX before but I will listen very close for it next time, maybe it's hard to hear with all other sounds at touchdown. I guess you could increase the volume in this specific wave file to make sure you hear the sound when the speedbrakes are deploying.Will do some experimenting on today's flights.

Richard Åsberg

I have noticed what seems to me, the absence of this sound in the NGX and would like to push the volume up too. The man to ask on this one would be Steve Inwood. Because his job on the take off and taxi wavs is top drawer.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

OK guys, just landed at ENGM and listen for this sound and there it was just like in the video...very nice :( I did however increase the volume in the wav file by 10 dB so this might have played a part in me hearing the sound better on this landing.So...at least we now know that the sound actually plays like it should, guess it's just hard to hear if you don't listen for it carefully and especially with the default volume in the wav file.

Richard Åsberg

And the sound after that is probably the nose wheels bumping over the runnway lights. Probably not a very easy thing to emulate in FSX in fairness.
The tires bumping over the runway lights is a feature for aerosoft AES

The spoiler auto-deploy sound is there, was recorded from the real thing...
Yes, the sound is great and no wonder when it's from the real thing :wink:After increasing this sound by 10 db and decreasing the rattling touch down sound by 10 db I think it's even closer to the real thing comparing to movie clips from RL.

Richard Åsberg