Sign in to follow this  
Ourgas2

MD-10 possible?

I know, I know...The endless discussion of what might be developed or not.Only I would like to have a PMDG made DC-10 and since there are many MD-10's with the same cockpit as the MD-11 I dare to ask if this would be possible.Any PMDG staff for an answer please?Thanks,Christos

You would just need to rewok the engines, wings, hydraulic systems, fuselage...basically turn a good airplane into a bad airplane: Douglas Death Star (you know, Lockheed TriStar..)

Inactive

Always great to read an informed response.......

Rob Prest

: Douglas Death Star (you know, Lockheed TriStar..)
Hahaha....Good 1!

Chris Howard

Always great to read an informed response.......
Qft.To the OP: There's no difference between the MD-10 and MD-11's systems. About the only differences as far as I've heard are landing characteristics. A lemon probably not worth squeezing for PMDG.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Qft.To the OP: There's no difference between the MD-10 and MD-11's systems. About the only differences as far as I've heard are landing characteristics. A lemon probably not worth squeezing for PMDG.
Not quite, there´s more diffr. between them.- The MD11 has superior range to the DC10- The MD11 holds more passengers than the DC10- The MD11 has winglets, the DC10 doesn't- The MD11 was introduced many years later than the DC10- The MD11 features a EFIS flightdeck, the DC10 doesn't- The MD11 needs 2 flight deck crews, the DC10 needs 3- The MD11 is a 5.71m (18ft 9in) stretch compared to the DC10- The MD11 has a modified tail with less sweepback than the DC10- The MD11 features newer engine options from both GE and PW- The MD11 was faster than the DC10.- The MD11 featured a new cabin than the DC10and a lot more..../ Leffe

Not quite, there´s more diffr. between them.X- The MD11 has superior range to the DC10- The MD11 holds more passengers than the DC10X- The MD11 has winglets, the DC10 doesn't XX- The MD11 was introduced many years later than the DC10X- The MD11 features a EFIS flightdeck, the DC10 doesn'tX- The MD11 needs 2 flight deck crews, the DC10 needs 3- The MD11 is a 5.71m (18ft 9in) stretch compared to the DC10- The MD11 has a modified tail with less sweepback than the DC10X- The MD11 features newer engine options from both GE and PW- The MD11 was faster than the DC10.- The MD11 featured a new cabin than the DC10and a lot more..../ Leffe
Yeah, but we're talking about the MD-10 here, not the DC-10. :( The MD-10 is a full modernization of the DC-10, very basically turning it into an MD-11. I challenge you to go onto the FedEx ramp and point out the differences. Inside and out. Edited by ZachLW

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Yeah, but we're talking about the MD-10 here, not the DC-10. :( The MD-10 is a full modernization of the DC-10, very basically turning it into an MD-11. I challenge you to go onto the FedEx ramp and point out the differences. Inside and out.
I worked at KLAX for FEDEX in hub-control: I came from the ramp: what you've pointed out is basicaly correct.But then I left over 6 years ago. I loved those McDs and A-310s.I remembered when the EX-Swissair '11s would arrive with some parts of the '11s still painted in Swissair colours.I think the MD-10s were done at the request of Fedex. Edited by eSimmer

I think the only difference to the trained eye is a shorter fuselage, no winglets and no center gear. Also if you browse the MD-10 FCOM it is almost identical to the MD11 regarding systems. From what I've heard Fedex pilots say the handling on the MD-10 is better then the MD11, although I think a female F/O managed to roll one onto it's back in typical MD11 crash style. Correction, she didnt roll it - http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/reports/2005/AAR0501.pdfhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fedex_md-10_crash_memphis.jpg

Rob Prest

The DC10-30 has center gear.The MD10s also creak like an octagenerian stretching in flight. The registration date on these 10s are older than I am....In a MD10 cockpit all I really noticed was that sad seat where the F/E used to sit.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

From what I've heard Fedex pilots say the handling on the MD-10 is better then the MD11, although I think a female F/O managed to roll one onto it's back in typical MD11 crash style.
This is sort of what the crews told me also: I got to speak to a lot of the crews in my 5 years at Fedex. Edited by eSimmer

Reading the accident report,it refers to Stanstead,England, like some sort of movie.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Yeah, but we're talking about the MD-10 here, not the DC-10. :( The MD-10 is a full modernization of the DC-10, very basically turning it into an MD-11. I challenge you to go onto the FedEx ramp and point out the differences. Inside and out.
Yeah, just read about it. The MD10 haven been retrofitted with a principle the same MD11 cockpit, with 2 crew only(instead of 3) but still have the same fuselage and engine, as the DC10. There are of course more to it.....Thx for clarification and pointing this out to me....must say didn´t knew./ Leffe Edited by Leffe

The OP's question is not that far fetched. It is pretty similar to what PMDG has already done with the 748 expansion. The main reason for the MD-10 conversion was the elimination of the need for a flight engineer, elimination of requirment for pilots to carry two type ratings, (pilots rated for MD-11 are rated for MD-10 and NOT for DC10), structural improvements for dedicated cargo service for aircraft which were originally built for passenger service. The flight deck systems are intended to be identical between the MD-11 and MD-10. However, there are differences which manifest themselves in actual flight characteristics. There are natural differences between the second generation jet (DC-10 based MD 10) and the third generation jet MD-11.The question is how much realism will you demand? I haven't bought the 748 expansion because it does not take into account the upgrades which exist between the 747-4 and the 748.

The question is how much realism will you demand? I haven't bought the 748 expansion because it does not take into account the upgrades which exist between the 747-4 and the 748.
BrantonPMDG got me hook, line, and sinker on that one. Sounds like something Captain Sim would do.Michael Edited by pcubine