Sign in to follow this  
RobbieHe

X-Plane vs. FSX

are we discussing here about stalls and behavior of default airplanes, with real world airplanes, in icing condition, T tail aircraft, in a real Stall condition?just checking.

The problem is that once one of the wings starts to stall the plane just flips to one side
try to use your rudder to keep the aircraft straight line. that's what pilots do in real world.try also to reduce power to idle. climb to 1000' agl and then, try to stall.

Gustavo Rodrigues - Brazil

I seem to remember a major accident quite a number of years back now in UK involving a T tail passenger jet. It was climbing but the airspeed was too low due to icing I think it was. The aircaft literally fell out the sky tailfirst. I can't remember the details but the investigation results should be around somewhere. Something to do with the T tail configuration also I think.Pete

I realize that the pancake can be done:

It's just that, compared to FSX, doing the pancake is really hard, that's why I posted the video where I tried to do the pancake, but failed. In FSX, you can do the pancake simply by pulling up just after take off. It's as easy as 1, 2, 3, PANCAKES!!!XPX is like, I see you trying to make pancakes, I see that FSX makes perfict pancakes. This is not me, I am X -plane 10, you need to work for your pancakes....and I'm all like, I don't even like pancakes. Edited by Johnny Thunder

It's just that, compared to FSX, doing the pancake is really hard, that's why I posted the video where I tried to do the pancake, but failed. In FSX, you can do the pancake simply by pulling up just after take off. It's as easy as 1, 2, 3, PANCAKES!!!
:( Come on, you are dreaming. You get exactly the same result in FSX if you try this. I just wrecked a c172, c182 RG and a costly Beech Baron 58 by testing this in FSX !!

I think XPX is realistic in regards to stall handling. A wing stalls when smooth airflow over the wing is disrupted. Wings can be a partial stall or a full stall. The left wind and the right wing can be stalled unequally. In other words, 1 wing can be more stalled than the other, and when that happens, the wing that is more stalled will drop. That is realistic.

I like Stall in X-Plane better than FSX. Feels more fluid, more realistic in my opinion. I just wish it was less forgiving. At least with the default aircrafts, I find myself taking off, nose 40 degrees up, and I don't fall like a rock from the sky, but I get in a stall where I can easily recover before reaching the runway. Even if somebody says that's realistic, I wish Simulators were less forgiving, that would teach students to always respect the flight envelope, or you might die. Pretty sure it' must be programmed to be harder to recover from an upset situation on a Level D Sim than it is in real life. Just my opinion

Alexis Mefano

Just got back from stall testing the DC-3 in yet another simulator, I'm not gonna post a video as I think I've done enough of that to make my point.In IL-2 Sturmovik I get results that are about half way between FSX and X-plane 10, closer to X-plane I would say as the plane dose try and correct itself so that it is always facing the direction it is flying/falling.

Since there are quite a variety of GA aircraft for "both" sims....................I've experienced some rather realistic stall events in both sims. I've done plenty of real life stalls and spins, in addition to seeing many stall/spins from a ground view with R/C. IMO............it's a wash. I'm not concerned with authenticating a 747 stall (all types), nor feel that it's worth attempting to model.........to the full extent.

If you wish to experience rather nasty icing stall effects simply load up a location with snotty real world weather-try CYBD or PANT....scenic stuff there...and try a climb into IMC. See if you can recover before crashing as the ice starts building up.Enjoy!

AVSIM Staff Reviewer
Bush Is Good!
banTedG01.jpg

I think I'm about to say FSX is better then X-plane, it somehow magicly proves to me that it is not better then x-plane by driving me insane with one of it's meny problems, usally ending in my computer crashing or my plane crashing and me swareing at my computer like it's possesed by demons.
I never have crashes or problems with my current up to date hardware in FSX.I just let my configuration file (fsx.cfg) get tuned by 'Bojote's FSX configurator' and FSX now runs like a runaway train. Edited by Bartbear

I never have crashes or problems with my current up to date hardware in FSX.I just let my configuration file (fsx.cfg) get tuned by 'Bojote's FSX configurator' and FSX now runs like a runaway train.
I just recently did this, after reading about it in all these X-plane vs. FSX fourms and WOW, dose FSX run better. It's like night and day.
If you wish to experience rather nasty icing stall effects simply load up a location with snotty real world weather-try CYBD or PANT....scenic stuff there...and try a climb into IMC. See if you can recover before crashing as the ice starts building up.Enjoy!
This is just the sort of thing I like to do. I didn't know X-plane had a good Ice simulation.

This is just the sort of thing I like to do. I didn't know X-plane had a good Ice simulation.
I don't know if it's "good"....but it certainly can be insidiously dramatic! Certain aircraft among my payware collection actually show the ice on the wing leading edges and the boots etc do work. I even have one model where the dang windscreen ices over if you neglect to switch on the heater.The sim totally reinforces that taking a VFR flight into IMC=BAD.

AVSIM Staff Reviewer
Bush Is Good!
banTedG01.jpg