Sign in to follow this  
Delmarman

seatbelt sign ops

Stupid question but just need clarifaction. When seatbelt is set to auto. Do I hve to turn it on off at cruise or just leave on auto. When desencending do I turn it bck to auto n at fate do I turn it off. Or do I just leave it at auto whole flight gate to gate

I believe that on AUTO the seatbelt/no smoking signs will automatically turn OFF at 10,000ft. Again, they will automatically turn back ON crossing 10,000 on your descent. So at the gate, 5 minutes prior to departure, switch to auto for the signs to be on between departure and 10,000. And the reverse on the way in. When you park at the gate, you switch them to off. I am not sure where you are from, but in the US, the seatbelt signs are left on until cruise and in some cases until the Flight attendants are finished with their service (to avoid congestion in the aisle). However, I noticed when flying in Europe (on Malev) that as soon as we crossed 10,000ft. the signs went off. Hope this Helps!DAN BURKE

Guest dlrk

In AUTO the seatbelt sign is ON when the gear or flaps are extended and off when they are not. Turn them ON on the ground prior to departure, AUTO passing 10,000 and ON below 10,000.

I just use ON and OFF. turned OFF in climb when I dont expect any more movement or turbulence, usually after passing FL100 and accelerating to standart climb speed, and on again in descent when briefing. Some operators use them by 10 000ft mark, some by 18000ft mark, some even only off in cruise, I hear.

Flew with Westjet a few times and seatbelt signs come off at 10,000 with them. That was back in '06, not sure if it is changed now. I wonder if it is pilot discretion and neccesarily SOP. It would depend on what the crew are expecting during the climb - choppy or smooth.

Edited by kencnnrs

When the NO SMOKING and FASTEN SEAT BELT switches are in the AUTO position and the trailing edge flaps limit switch is in the NOT UP position, these indications occur:

• The FASTEN SEAT BELT signs come on
  • The RETURN TO SEAT signs come on
  • There is a low chime.

When the NO SMOKING and FASTEN SEAT BELT switches are in the AUTO position and the landing gear lever switch is in the GEAR DOWN position, these indications occur:

• FASTEN SEAT BELT signs
  • NO SMOKING signs
  • RETURN TO SEAT signs
  • Low chime.

Regards

Andrea Daviero