Sign in to follow this  
Paul12

Furher MSA Question

In addition to my post from yesterday ( MSA question ) I still have a few more : 1) In the HOLD around KLO there is a number 6000 and I assume it is the min altitude. 2) In the HOLD at GIPOL there are 2 numbers,MAX FL240 and 7000. Does this mean that the altitude can be anywhere from 7000 to 24000 feet ? 3) If I were to fly the HOLD at KLO at an alitude of 6000 feet I would soon or later hit the ground between 041 and 265 degrees 4) Below the KLO circle it says : 4) MSA 59 within 17 nm Between 041 and 265 there is a MSA of 8600 feet indicated Therefore: which ine is correct ? Once again,thank you for you help.Hubert Werni See attached screenshot

Herbert Werni

I'll try and edit this to add more later on, don't have much time right now.1. Yes, that is the minimum holding altitude. (Page 16 airport chart legend linked below)2. Yes, your altitude technically could be between 7000 and FL240. (Page 26 airport chart legend)3. No. See my answer for number 4.4. MSA circles are normally out to 25NM unless indicated otherwise. Therefore, MSA from 041°to 265° is 8600' MSL out to 25nm, but to help you out, they're saying that within 17nm you can safely descend below that, maintaining 5900' MSL as your MSA. The headings are defined as magnetic bearings to the Facility, in this case Kloten. (Page 16 airport chart legend)You can further your knowledge by reviewing the chart legends for enroute and airport charts for nDAC.

Edited by tutmeister

I guess I can't edit my first post, so I apologize for the fragmented info. Further to question 3, remember that Minimum Sector Altitude provides clearance to 300m (1000') above all obstacles in the given radius of a radio navigation aid. So in this instance, out to 17nm, the highest obstacle would be between 4801' and 4900' MSL. So at 6000' MSL, you wouldn't hit anything (unless your altimeter was set incorrectly of course....:))

Edited by tutmeister