Sign in to follow this  
filippo92

Good hardware, bad fps. Why?

Hi guys, i really hope that you can help me I don't know what to do, I tried everything... First of all, this is my laptop:CPU: Intel Core i7-720QM da 1,6 GHzRAM: 4 GB DDR3GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 1 Gb dedicatedHD: 320 gb SATA 7200 rpmSO: Windows 7 64 bitI usually play on a dvi screen connected to the hdmi 24" 1920x1080 HD.I'd like to play with: UTX, GEX, REX, addon airport and Wilco Airbus but the frame rate is really bad. In the scenery Aerosoft Florence X with Wilco Airbus I've got 10-15 fps. I used Bojote tweaking and Fsx booster with no results. Now I'm uninstalling everything to make a clean install. I don't konw why my laptop can't play FSX, it is a good harware I think. Any ideas? I could follow you step by step from the installation to the configuration. Please help me!

I have a similar laptop. And I hate to say it but that is really all you are going to get. The main issue for both of us is that FSX really needs single of dual core CPUs with very high clock speeds. Think 4ghz or higher to run on high settings. Also, I find that the Aerosoft products are particularly hard on FPS. Secondly, running it on that monitor is a terrible idea. The lower the resolution, the better I find the performance gets. By connecting it to a 1080p screen, you are killing the performance further. Also, you might get better fps in windowed mode, so try that.

Daniel Miller

Mmm so our i7 is not good with fsx, there is nothing we can do... I usually play in windowed mode but I have the same fps if I use the onboard screen of the lapotop. If there aren't solution to the problem I'll reainstall fs9...

FilipoIf you got to http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/common_gpus.htmlYou will see that your cpu is benchmarked (BM) at approx 3300 whereas an i5 2500K which can run FSX quite well has a figure of 7500.Your video card has a BM of 630 whereas a GTX560TI (middle of the road for FSX) has a BM of 3000.I'm afraid that trying to run FSX on a 24" monitor with a low end cpu (sorry) and video card is going to be nigh on impossible.You also need to check your HDD if it is more than 60% full then do expect some performance issues.FSX responds better to nvidia cards and with that size of monitor the more VRAM the better although 1GB is good.RegardsPeterH

And here we have another topic as how laptops suck for FSX (I say this because someone else on another thread claimed that laptops with i7 are good for FSX). Sorry to say Filippo.You'll be really much happier with FS9 - it has some really nice aircraft, not to mention iFly, REX... and above all that, good performance on your laptop!

Guest Alex Goff

FSX loves speed over cores. A 1.6ghz quad core that can boost up to 2.8ghz on a single core is going to choke FSX sadly. For a laptop it's decent hardware but for FSX it just doesn't meet it's dated requirements

Now load up your X-men with all the addons your FSX has and report back!
Ah ah ah not funny... Thanks Alex Goff.

Ah ah ah not funny...Thanks Alex Goff.
And with that off the cuff humour, there ia an element of truth.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

It is good for a laptop, but not for FSX. Especially running at that resolution you're bringing that mobile GPU to it's knees. And even though it is an i7, the clock speed on it is far too slow, and being in such a confined space as that in a laptop, overclocking it is out of the question. This comes up a lot, but the real deal is laptops - even so called 'gaming laptops' - just don't work for FSX, and in my opinion don't even work for gaming. FSX, and indeed most games, are just about one of the most demanding tasks you can expect a computer to do. This means your computer has to do more work. When the components are doing more work they're producing more heat. If components get too hot they can cause permanent damage. In a desktop, you can get great aftermarket cooling solutions that work to remove this heat from the case efficiently. In a laptop because it's such a small space, it's much more difficult to get adequate airflow through it to cool the components and the fans have to be incredibly small to fit in it. Because of this, mobile variations of processors (such as the i7 m) and GPUs in laptops are actually much slower than their desktop counterparts, so they don't produce as much heat and in my experience, laptops that are faster generally have extremely badly designed heat management - I have fried two 'gaming laptops' by playing games on them before I eventually gave up and got a desktop!

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

It is good for a laptop, but not for FSX. Especially running at that resolution you're bringing that mobile GPU to it's knees. And even though it is an i7, the clock speed on it is far too slow, and being in such a confined space as that in a laptop, overclocking it is out of the question. This comes up a lot, but the real deal is laptops - even so called 'gaming laptops' - just don't work for FSX, and in my opinion don't even work for gaming. FSX, and indeed most games, are just about one of the most demanding tasks you can expect a computer to do. This means your computer has to do more work. When the components are doing more work they're producing more heat. If components get too hot they can cause permanent damage. In a desktop, you can get great aftermarket cooling solutions that work to remove this heat from the case efficiently. In a laptop because it's such a small space, it's much more difficult to get adequate airflow through it to cool the components and the fans have to be incredibly small to fit in it. Because of this, mobile variations of processors (such as the i7 m) and GPUs in laptops are actually much slower than their desktop counterparts, so they don't produce as much heat and in my experience, laptops that are faster generally have extremely badly designed heat management - I have fried two 'gaming laptops' by playing games on them before I eventually gave up and got a desktop!
I agree with you, infact when I bought my lapotop gaming was not in my mind. I use it for working (Autocad) an it's great. I'm reinstalling fs9 wich my laptop runs very fast. My only doubt is why with other games such as Dirt 3 or X-Plane (with max resolution settings) my fps reaches without any problem the refesh screen rate. Edited by filippo92