Sign in to follow this  
etheris

What I wish FLIGHT could have been...

What I wish FLIGHT could have been:

• 64-bit simulation engine with native multi-core and multi-processor support
  • Directx 11 and GPU optimized
  • Scale-invariant fractal algorithms and procedural content generation support (see Outerra)
  • Interplanetary Newtonian physics model to allow for high-altitude and space FLIGHT (see OrbiterSim)
  • Incorporation of Blade element theory into its aerodynamic model (see X-Plane)
  • Modeling of aerodynamic compressibility (aka sound barrier, sonic boom, etc)
  • Realistic weather modeling and effects
  • Realistic ground friction, lateral friction, skidding, aircraft hydroplaning, etc.
  • Realistic hydrodynamics model (something akin to HydroEngine, etc)
  • Incorporation or integration of a system similar to NaturalMotion's Euphoria for dynamic characters motion generation and emulation (so pax and flight attendants move around and behave realistically on the plane)
  • In-game real-time WYSIWYG game editor on par with the free CryEngine 3 SDK.
  • Built-in FBW (Fly-by-Wire) logic and integration and FBW API to allow anyone to easily create modern aircraft with plug-and-play FBW components and capabilities
  • Autonomous auto-pilot logic to support the development of UAV/drones and other self-flying vehicles on the platform. (see ArduPilot)
  • Hardware-in-the-loop simulation support
  • Coded from the ground up to be a very modular, extensible, expandable hi-fidelity simulation architecture and platform for the entire FLIGHT community.

Instead we got an arcade console game for 5 year old to collect gold coins and trinkets flying around on the island of Hawaii with a Honda on Wings.

Edited by etheris

:( I think even CAE wouldn't build that :biggrin:But I'd still like one...with a few comments.

Scale-invariant fractal algorithms and procedural content generation support (see Outerra)
Good for organic modeling...but not good for hard surface modeling, like urban areas.
Incorporation of Blade element theory into its aerodynamic model (see X-Plane)
It isn't necessary to recompute the tables if the airframe isn't being modified.Best to optimize for either airframe-design or airframe-simulation.
In-game real-time WYSIWYG game editor on par with the free CryEngine 3 SDK
Building a good world editor is very difficult (expensive) building a great one takes years of iterations.World editors make work easier but they do that by limiting what you can do to a selected set of functions.The easier they are the more dumbed-down they tend to be...to appeal to more users(sound familiar?)But I agree good tools are the foundation of great games. It's job1.
Built-in FBW (Fly-by-Wire) logic and integration and FBW API to allow anyone to easily create modern aircraft with plug-and-play FBW components and capabilities
simConnect
Autonomous auto-pilot logic to support the development of UAV/drones and other self-flying vehicles on the platform. (see ArduPilot)
simConnect ;)

Just imagine, Microsoft makes a world engine simulator, an open meta-platform for other platforms such Flight Simulators, Ship Simulators, Train Simulators, Orbiter Space Simulators, Submarine simulators, land based simulators, etc all to coexists within the one same holistic framework. Or it could license the engine to these different simulation branches and position itself to be at the very top of the food chain.
In fact I'd say they did intend to do this, that was the mission of ESP.It was possibly a bit too ambitious for today's economy (R.I.P. 2009)But it was a big loss.

All I was looking for was an upgraded FSX. :(

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

What do you mean for today's economy? Peak Oil affecting the virtual skies too?
lol :( I'm not a finance guy whatsoever, but I’d say it was a liquidity crisis. Investors pulling cash out of investments to cover debts. For the time being, the big 3D games are still in a very difficult place. The upswing is in small products right now. Activison has canceled just about any game that doesn’t have serious potential to be block-buster...even profitable ones were canceled. The thought is gamers will still buy $60 games...just not a couple a month. MS’s Flight strategy has much more to do with this outlook, than MSFS 3PD’s...IMO.

Like KINECT, Kindle fire, App stores, casual gaming, Zynga, Angry birds, Bejeweled, Google+, etc? That where all the monies are?
I think so. I think producers spending 10 to 30 million on their latest game took one look at Zynga and did a collective facepalm. But I’d say game developers also know it’s really hard to stand out when customers have too many choices. I think it's a short trend and in a few years it'll be more balanced.

Then you must know how disappointed I am in FLIGHT.
Absolutely. Exorbitant expectations are sure to be disappointed miserably.Edit: Your wish-list would have asked for 10x the people and 2x the time... or something like that... Edited by pstrub

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

GPU optimized
It is very well optimized....

For an ICON A5 flying around Hawaii.If FSX had all of that taken out (ATC, AI, Traffic, Weather, Orbx, PMDG, and many other addons) it would be well optimized in the Hawaii island region on a Cessna as well.
And has the latest most updated DX9 graphics and about 3X as much autogen.... FLIGHT blows FSX out of the water graphically.

You may choose to believe that. The fact still remains that without a public SDK, FLIGHT is as good as dead to the simulation community.
Who needs a public SDK? Flight will be a success whichever way you look at it. If it is a success or not in our community is the question.

FLIGHT will be a success? FLIGHT will never fly in the simming community without SDK. I doubt FLIGHT will be a success in the casual arcade gaming market segment either.
How?It appeals to the gamers who dont care about planes, and just want to fly under bridges to get tokens.......

It is the DLC that is going to make Flight a great sim, just like it has been the addons that have made FSX a great sim.Flight is no more of a game than FSX is. End of story.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

It is the DLC that is going to make Flight a great sim, just like it has been the addons that have made FSX a great sim.Flight is no more of a game than FSX is. End of story.
I think you mean .. beginning of story :(

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.