Sign in to follow this  
Superpilotv2

Flap deployment in turns

Hey guys,I´ve read some time back that it should be avoided to deploy the flaps while making a turn on ground to prevent the flaps to get stuck. This could happen cause of the gravity. I think I read that in connection with the 727. I wonder wehether this still correct today?

What you probably read was to not change flap settings until at least 700-1000ft AGL, in case one 'sticks' and you end up with asymetric lift and not enough altitude to recover, and that applies to all planes.

Jay

What you probably read was to not change flap settings until at least 700-1000ft AGL, in case one 'sticks' and you end up with asymetric lift and not enough altitude to recover, and that applies to all planes.
That^Plus changing flaps while in a turn (in the air) could result in some undesired consequences if a split flap condition occurred. Think about it: While in a roll, one flap decides to jam while another continues travel. You're already at a 30 degree bank when suddenly you've got much more lift on the flap down side than the flap up side. Yikes.I have always practiced this in the smaller aircraft I fly; Avoid flap changes when feasible while turning in the pattern. Edited by ZachLW

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

The 737 as for some other planes, has a system that stop the deployement/retraction of the flaps if something (like skew or asimmetry) is detected.The difference of lift between the wings will be not too far to fight, also if near to dangerous speeds or in turns.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

Avoid flap changes when feasible while turning in the pattern.
+1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Like Andrea said, it really isn't an issue as far as controllabilty. Your first indication may be that Flap Transit light didn't go out or you want F15, and you notice that they're still at F1.It's definitely a training item, but it's more of an issue of running a long checklist and landing with partial flaps. Depending on where the flaps stopped, you can have an approach speed that is really high. 180-190?

Matt Cee

While in a turn your outer wing will have a higher airspeed than in level flight and this could affect the safety envelope for the deployment of flaps :(

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776