Sign in to follow this  
Kenny Writes

Autogen HUGE fps loss..

Today I tested something out on my system. Thinking my system wasn't the best; I went into a flight and I loaded it.Then I went into the display option and completely turned off autogen. And something amazing happened. A level of FPS I have never seen before.I looked at my framerate and it was going up into the 90's-100's. I think I even saw it at 116 at one time. :Hypnotized:It was Sooooooo smooth. I've just about tried every tweak to the CFG file I could think of...and the autogen still creates huge problems. I'm sure this is a common problem... but why does it cause such a huge FPS loss?Is there a way to atleast halway fix it. I'm good with my autogen level at dense; but my FPS is at like 15. Anything below Dense is un-realistic.Any tweaks or anything would be great. I already have every CFG tweak there is. But maybe there is like frame rate friendly houses...

Kenny ... as discussed in your hardware thread ... this is exactly why people spend money on high-end hardware.The buildings in FSX are optimised, and the trees aren't too bad either - but they represent a lot of 3D geometry -- which causes your laptop to do much more work.Yes Autogen is a demanding aspect of the sim ..... people buy new systems so they can run it at full tilt.EDIT: by all means dumb down the autogen trees, but once you start messing with core files, you are entiering tiger territory. Fine if you don;t mind reinstalling every now and then. Good luck.

Edited by hcornea

Ya, I get it. Your answers lead to one thing. Get a new system. Sure, that might do it, let me grab $4,000 out of my pocket. Ha, no way.All of us here are trying to get more out of what we have, all I'm searching for are tweaks or alternative textures or "geometry" to bump up the FPS.If your next reply is going to tell me to get another system, then get the $%& off my topic.Thanks, have a good day.
$4,000? That's extreme hyperbole. And nice attitude. Reported.Of course doing away with autogen is going to yield better frame rates. That's not exactly profound.BTW, I'm looking for a good link to that mod for you. Edited by ZachLW

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Excellent forum etiquette, Kenny.You may want to work on that....By all means edit your core files and report back.As discussed elsewhere, you don't need to spend $4000 (even on a laptop) -- but I have noted your penchant for exaggeration before, so I'll put it down to that.By all means tweak, and experiment. You can also lower texture resolution, and hard limit your LOD radius ... or turn the autogen slider down!While you are at it, turn the "abuse slider" down too, and you'll have a nicer forum existence.EDIT: Forgot to mention. What most of our customers tend to "like" is a higher LOD radius, but autogen "hard-limits". I doubt this will help your situation much, however. It is another way of reducing autogen load, and evening out annotation in different regions, whilst maintaining reasonable density in others.

Edited by hcornea

Not really. Getting a desktop costs that much.So you reported my post? Money%20Eyes.gif
I built mine for less than $1,500. For realz.Yeah, reported. You're acting like a dolt talking to him that way.And I have that file. Let me link it Edited by ZachLW

___________________________________________________________________________________

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Here.http://dl.dropbox.co.../fsxtweaks5.rarBTW. Respect others and they'll help you out. Act like you did above, and you're liable to be told to screw off yourself. And change your IP. More work for you.

Edited by ZachLW

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I'd turn the abuse slider down if you would give me stuff and no fluff.
Excellent advice above on that one:If you don't know how to do something, but are trying to do it. It is often a good idea to include THAT information in your post.(This also means that you won't require "ding ding ding" to remind you what you are asking)Unfortunately, I am now looking for the "Ignore" function on the forum (first time ever!) Edited by hcornea

Unfortunately, I am now looking for the "Ignore" function on the forum (first time ever!)
Weird people on the interwebs, eh?Can change his IP but can't find a file. Edited by ZachLW

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Guest Alex Goff

I think I built my system for about $800 all in all... it's AMD and isn't optimal for FSX but it does let me turn on trees :($4,000 sounds like the price of a good used car to me, not a desktop.

I have found that renaming your default.xml in the FSXAutogen folder has produced good results. I also found this other tweak where if you rename the AutogenDescriptions_Min.spb to AutogenDescriptions.spb and back up the original AutogenDescriptions.spb file it will improve things somewhat. You need to have FSX SP2 or Acceleration/Gold in order to have those files I believe.

Edited by magnetite

Agreed, systems can be built cheap now days. I was able to do mine for $1375 tax in. Now it's not the best for FSX but it works, if I had to do it again I'd wait a little longer and grab a 580 or 590 GTX, and some better RAM with a lower latency.

And thanks for reporting; but to have you know, nobody can ban me because I change my IP on command with a snap of my fingers.But, thanks for playing.
You wanna bet? You are only the 400th or 500th person to claim that. Let's play...