Sign in to follow this  
denver69

Thinking of upgrading from RC4

Sorry I should have put all this in one post. I'll leave the first question as is with the FO hanling comms in that post but I have a few others before upgrading.Notice I used the word "upgrade".From what I have read this program looks like the ultamit in ATC and a huge step up from RC4. What concernes me is the cost and the fact that it has to be so complex in the programming department that I worry seriously about compatability with all of my many add ons. I get a little concerned with some of the posts on this forum about not being able to get ahold of ATC, get a clearance, unables, swarm of bee's AI and a whole host of other issues that may very well be user error or just their combo's of add ons and their system. No offense here at all with that last comment, I just know how it can be for myself at times. I knoiw there is a demo but I imagine I would have to uninstall RC4 for it to work and that if I needed to install it again it would be a pain in the but with windwood and all. So I am just trying to get a feel for the users here that have "upgraded" from RC4, is it worth it, is it buggy as all getup, is it worth it?I really like the idea of taxi instructions, controlling the AI, flying and getting assigned SID/STAR's, and all the other things I have read that seem to make this a cut above RC4 in a big way.Are there more voice packs available than just the 4 ATT and 2 microsoft ones. Could I have more variety in this department than RC4, which is another pet peeve of RC4 is the lack of voices.I am using My Traffic X pro and am concerned about having Vox controll my AI because one of the reasons I bought My Traffic was for the real airline schedules. Seems like this would be all messed up with an external program running the AI. That would be a deal breaker.Thoughts, feelings, insights?

Here is what I think is the VERY best piece of advice I can give you. Wait until you have a FULL two or three days. Use that time to install the 7 day trial and play with it, using the posts in this forum and e-mails to the developer for help if you need it.Read the manual from top to bottom BEFORE you begin. The manual is NOT laid out in the best way, but it does have "most" of the information you need. I think VoxATC would be a "whole" lot better, if the developer would simply create a better manual. One that is designed for "first timers". I think a great program needs an even greater set of instructions!The free "VoxPOP" voice packs from the VoxATC site work very well and I find that the recommended set-up is enough. Make sure you run the "VoxPOP Server Control" program that comes with the voices.VoxATC is NOT perfect, but IMHO it is "good enough". It only took me 2 days of playing/testing/asking questions to get it to work, "well enough", for me to fork out the bucks.Murray

One of the issues is the lack of voices. I think RC4 gets redundant with the lack of different voices but Vox has even fewer unless you pay big bucks for additional voice packs I presume. I think 30 or more different voices would be great and that is why PFE apeals to me. There are alot of pros and cons to each of the 3 ATC programs.I will take your advise and try the demo.Thanks

you don't need to uninstall RC4 to test VoxATC.just make sure not to load RC4 when you trying the VoxATC.actually VoxATC is very streate forward once you get the hang of it, there is no "programing" needed as you mentioned.VoxATC works perfectly with all my add ons , and I have a lot of them.The best Voice Packs that I heard ever are by IVONA, they are the clearest of them all.you can try the Demo on their website and even D/L an evaluation if you wish.I use the Ivona voice packs for ATC controllers.as for your AI , VoxATC would read your TrafficX AI and schedules and Spawn the AI based on the Schedules and control them, I wouldn'tworry about that much, you not going to lose that function.Actually with RC4 , you do lose that function as it doesn't control your AI, so it's like having none.and remember during your Eval period we are all here to help you out, so you are not alone.I personally could only help you on IFR flights, never tried it with VFR, so my knowledge on VFR is extremely limited.but there are others here that know VFR pretty well.

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg