Sign in to follow this  
Superpilotv2

Yoke for flying the NGX

Hi guys, I'm currently controlling the NGX and all other planes in FSX via an old and half broken Saitek stick. It is doing its work but I think I should change in the future. As I mostly fly planes with yokes and seldomly fighters or Airbus I think of getting a yoke. Which one can you advice me?! Please keep in mind that I currently go to school so I don't get that much money to spend and I don't wanna wait to long till I have the money. And btw how does it feel flying the NGX with a yoke?!

Steffen,My opinion is simple: if you can't afford a decent yoke (PFC, VRInsight), don't buy a yoke.All those plastic yokes are, IMO, waste of money.Just get a good stick, if you can find it, MS FF2 - very precise stick, with optical LED sensors. FSForce is a software everyone recommends with it.Anyway, that's me.

Spending $600+ on a yoke isn't an option for many. It's also hokey flying a Boeing with a joystick. or so I think.I'm more than happy with my Saitek Pro Flight Yoke. It's served me well for 3+ years. My friend finally took the plunge and bought a new yoke. He purchased the Cessna Yoke by Saitek, and it's wonderful! The CH feels cheaper in my opinion, and the mount is junk (though it fits confined desks better).Pedals are a must if you're using a yoke. I've used CH pedals for 4 years; They're tough and compact.

Edited by ZachLW

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Don't bother with CH Yoke. I have one and it's been sitting in the corner for some years now. Cheap and unrealistic. I'll be looking at the Saitek yoke next time around, but right now, the X52 does me fine.

Don't bother with CH Yoke. I have one and it's been sitting in the corner for some years now. Cheap and unrealistic. I'll be looking at the Saitek yoke next time around, but right now, the X52 does me fine.
Well, maybe I am wrong because I am not a real pilot, but I haved used my CH yoke a lot for 5 years. For me it is perfect!

Go for the saitek pf + pedals & try my yoke mod. It takes out all the toy-feel.

Saitek yoke, and pedals for me. Once tried a friends CH, did not like themJfriz

Didn't like my CH either, sold that baby on Amazon and got back some of what I spent for it.

I have the saitek yoke and it works fine once you get rid of the crappy spings and do both of the rubber band mods.

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

Well, maybe I am wrong because I am not a real pilot, but I haved used my CH yoke a lot for 5 years. For me it is perfect!
I am a real world pilot (PPL) and my CH yoke serves me OK. Ailerons are good, elevators are a bit spiky. Other than that, calibration and setup, e. g. through FSUIPC, dead zones, response curves etc. can make the difference between crap and acceptable.

Dave P. Woycek

For me, and mind you I only fly one plane right now, the socata tb9, my only complaint with the saitek pf is the limited pitch travel. Roll limits match the Tampico almost perfectly, but I keep wanting to pull back on my saitek yoke another foot or so more than it'll go. Luckily it's built into my new desk & won't fall out into my lap...http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo255/sehlah/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1457.jpgTop monitor is touchscreen & the wife is ordering a trim wheel for my birthday next week to fill that void beside the tq's...

Edited by MrKen

One thing, DO NOT buy the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke. I have had two of them, and both have let me down. First of all, it doens't have 180 degrees of turning but only 90 (45 to each side). Also, the lubrication is so bad, that after a while the aileron axis gets squeeky, and the elevator axis will be sticky from the beginning. And after around a year, there's a good chance it will get broken. Because if you put another device in it (like the comm panel), without a power adapter, then after a while the yoke will get short-circuited. The throttle quadrant is good though. So again, if you want a yoke, DO NOT get the Pro Flight Yoke. What I have at the moment, is the newer Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Yoke. Men o men, what a difference. So much smoother, a full 180 degrees of turning, feel so much more solid, and more precise also. Handles the NGX so well... If you're looking for rudder pedals. The ones from Saitek are OK imo.

All right guys, what I understood so far is that the Saitek Pro flight yoke is crap and als the CH products are not perfect. The Pro Flight Cessna yoke looks decent but 200€ is really heavy. (I should have to wait two months till I have the money!) The quadrant should be mine for arround 50€. But which pesals to get? shouldn´t be too expensice.btw. does the Pro Flight Cessna Yoke ship with a quadrant or do I have to get that speperate?What I have to add is that I have pretty mixed experience with Saitek products. I oncve had an X52 but only for one evening. At first it worked flawlessly but after installing the additional drivers and the Saitek software, the rudder axis refused to work. So I returned it so the shop and got an Saitek Cyborg X stick. It´s nice but I had to fix an broken welding on the rudder axis. After that it worked for quite a time and then it just seemed to be broken again. I´ll have to fix this one day.Currently I´m flying with an old and very used Saitek Cyborg Evo. It was my second one (After an simple one without an rudder axis.) and despite of its broken arm rest it works absolutely correct since day one.

In my opinion the saitek pf is not crap. It's an entry level yoke same as ch so one can't expect perfection. It can be made to feel much better than it does out of the box.

Edited by MrKen