Sign in to follow this  
P47D

Demo mess

NO!Do not start at default settings.Dial EVERYTHING in rendering to the absolute minimal setting.Turn off AI/ATC.Start turning things back on one at a time...paying attention to what needs XPX restarting (some redraw on the fly...other things need the sim rebooted).Be patient with the above process and you will find your chokepoint and make compromises from that point.With regard to the controller settings....its pretty darn easy. Set the xyz axis stuff on the main page which is simply move the axis and use the dropdown to select the function. Then use the button page to....guess what...pick a function and push a button to assign.And then report back with a slightly less negative attitude with regards to how you get on. Then we can deal with how to set the weather...or no weather...or whatever.
TedG,This sounds like good advice. I havent installed XP10 yet, but as soon as I get my disks, I will do what you suggest, as this makes sense to me. Since I like tinkering with settings and XP gives you tons of settings, Ill be having fun for a while im sure. Thanks for the advice. A noob to XP like myself will appreciate it.Rob

TedG,This sounds like good advice. I havent installed XP10 yet, but as soon as I get my disks, I will do what you suggest, as this makes sense to me. Since I like tinkering with settings and XP gives you tons of settings, Ill be having fun for a while im sure. Thanks for the advice. A noob to XP like myself will appreciate it.Rob
I started using X-Plane v9 almost a year ago. Once you get through the initial learning curve and get used to the UI one realizes that it is actually quite sensible....just different from what you are used to.Also I cannot take credit for the guidance for setting up XPX beyond reposting a short version of a pinned topic at x-plane.org.Happily once you are satisifed with how things look thats it...no more tweaking etc.....turn off the FPS counter and enjoy yourself. In the case of XPX I stopped playing about with settings when I had KSEA running at 20-30FPS with acceptable visuals and antialiasing. Obviously some compromises made along the way with regards to objects/roads/no HDR etc but thats a system limitation on my part.@P47I am pleased you already have made improvements. I would suggest in future (entering mild chide mode Shame%20On%20You.gif) not just for you but for everyone else no matter what the sim) that rather than chucking about descriptors like " sucks...rubbish...horrible....no good" etc ad naseum you will get a far more positive reception by:-Describing your issue objectively-Detailing your system specs-Software revChide mode off :(

AVSIM Staff Reviewer
Bush Is Good!
banTedG01.jpg

Mountain Man your sim of choice (the demo) was no good. It sucked when first fired up compared to FSX... It was rubbish.
When FSX was released, it pretty much "sucked when first fired up", too. As you said yourself, "I guess I forgot how much messing around I did with FSX." I personally remember having to hand-edit configuration files and replace texture files with higher performance versions just to try and squeeze a few more frames out of FSX without having to drop all my settings to minimum. Compared to that, X-Plane 10 is miles ahead since it can be tuned to run well from within the sim itself without having to resort to arcane tricks.
What I'm trying to figure out is how to make it better. I already got a smoother ride by doing what TedG said. Water rendering seems to completely shut the sim down...
Yep, water reflection hits my system pretty hard, too. That and global shadows are the two settings I generally keep away from for now (although I try them out every time an update is released with the hopes that they've been better optimized). While I can get good performance with global shadows on low, I don't much care for the jagged, low-resolution shadows on my aircraft.
It's just super different to what I am used to so it's a learning curve.
Yes, but please try and stay away from the "It sucks because it's different" mentality. Edited by Mountain Man

When FSX was released, it pretty much "sucked when first fired up", too. As you said yourself, "I guess I forgot how much messing around I did with FSX." I personally remember having to hand-edit configuration files and replace texture files with higher performance versions just to try and squeeze a few more frames out of FSX without having to drop all my settings to minimum. Compared to that, X-Plane 10 is miles ahead since it can be tuned to run well from within the sim itself without having to resort to arcane tricks.
I don't agree with what I've highlighted in bold. In the early days of FSX and X-Plane 8, I upgraded my computer. My previous system just couldn't run the "betas" of FSX. With the upgrade, FSX was a pleasant surprise from day one. I was thrilled with the much better graphics for all the mountain areas that I'm familiar with. I also used the default Cessna Caravan for many screenshots, since it was such a better upgrade from FS9.So no..................it wasn't anywhere close to "sucking", when first fired up. I get tired of seeing that as an excuse.L.Adamson Edited by LAdamson

I don't agree with what I've highlighted in bold.
Whether you agree or not is irrelevant. When FSX came out, AVSIM and other sites were filled to the brim with people complaining about poor performance and sharing tips and tricks -- some official, most not -- on how to add a few more frames per second. It was to the point where 10 FPS around New York City was considered good performance! Even professional reviews widely criticized it for running like a pig on top-end hardware of the day.

Whether you agree or not is irrelevant. When FSX came out, AVSIM and other sites were filled to the brim with people complaining about poor performance
+1I was one of those, for me it "sucked when first fired up" besides the performance issue, the dreaded BLURRIES were the worst.Thanks to NickN's tune-up guides, Bijote's tweaks and others who have had contributed, FSX is NOW quite enjoyable Edited by zPirata

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

+1I was one of those, for me it "sucked when first fired up" besides the performance issue, the dreaded BLURRIES were the worst.Thanks to NickN's tune-up guides, Bijote's tweaks and others who have had contributed, FSX is NOW quite enjoyable
Nice that it is enjoyable, but how abot X-Plane? After all this IS the X-Plane forum, even though it is on Avsim. :(

Nice that it is enjoyable, but how abot X-Plane? After all this IS the X-Plane forum, even though it is on Avsim
lol...I'm an X-plane fan, I'm just commenting on the previous post regarding FSX when it first came out.X-Plane 9.7 by the way, with XPX demo intalled Edited by zPirata

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

LOL Good, I just had to put in my $.02 worth, and up my post count anyway I can. :(

Edited by wb5okj

up my post count anyway I can
:( ..right behind you Donald Edited by zPirata

X-Plane 9.7 by the way, with XPX demo intalled
Oh good....same as me. I am no early adopter especially with 9.7 running exceptionally well with all the add-ons and plug-ins I use.

AVSIM Staff Reviewer
Bush Is Good!
banTedG01.jpg

Very true Ted, you just can't beat XP9.7 fluidity and its sooo stable. I will eventually move on to XPX but with my current system, I can't get it to run smoothly, even with all sliders down to minimum, keep getting stutters here and there, the odd thing is that the FPS are up in the 30's with sliders at medium, but for some reason I just can't shake off the stutter problem, tried every slider tweak with the same results.Oh well, I guess I have to wait until the optimization phase begins.

One thing someone said in another post was "you have no business complaining if you are only using the demo". I thought about that for a while and realized that the only reason why I would buy XPX is if the demo impressed me, ran well on my system or something in the demo made me want to buy it.. So if the demo is not impressive it just seems people will be turned off.Anyway... I've been messing around with the demo for a while and I have to say the night graphics are second to none!! Totally realistic and awesome. My touble is the game starts acting weird when the time is up so I have to keep restarting the darn thing. I'm so used to FSX controlls I feel like I'm a prisioner in XPX. I am locked in a certain position and I can't make the sim do what I want. I almost feel like any other sim should just model their controls after microsoft flight sim since that's what most of us havebeen using soooo mannyyy years.I will never get all the detail shown in the video's with my system so not much I can do about that. My only gripe is I can get a stable 30FPS from FSX and have loads of detail. I think a lot of others feel the same way.Also the King Air which is what I've been flying is just weird. If you get the plane in a certain attitude it just stays there. In real life that is not how planes fly. Meaning they will correct themselves to level flight if you give a little more throttle or push down on the stuck then back to neutral. My experience with XPX is once the plane leans in a certain direction or is set off course it just keeps going that direction or even steeper unless you radically correct it. It's like it's not taking into account that air has lift properties. Which is weird because I thought that was the whole sim point of XPlane is the way the surfaces interacted with imaginary air??I appreciate what XPX could be and will keep my eyes on it. Thank you again for all the positive comments and helpfull input.

Edited by Whatever Dude

One thing someone said in another post was "you have no business complaining if you are only using the demo". I thought about that for a while and realized that the only reason why I would buy XPX is if the demo impressed me, ran well on my system or something in the demo made me want to buy it.. So if the demo is not impressive it just seems people will be turned off.
Hey Dude, I made that comment. You are very correct in your analysis of the statement. Nobody expects anyone to buy something if they try it and don't like it. The problem lies in the fact that a 3+ gb or whatever it is download, is not an option to a lot of people out there. I'm one of them, my internet service is very limited at best. So, we put our trust and faith in what the community tells us through forum groups, and in the developers sales pitch, which in the very beginning were for the most part, quite positive.Well, after initially receiving the retail discs ( and that point is very important) I was quite impressed with what I had bought, even without trying the demo. I really did like what I saw. Were there some things that needed fixing / tweaking, sure there was, but overall it was a joy to use. Well since then, all it has done with the updates, is go downhill. Yes, it's actually now to the point where it sits on my desktop (screen) and collects dust, if you know what I mean. I and everyone else hope this gets sorted out soon. I don't mind XP 9.7, but it's not where I want to fly.My point about receiving the retail discs is, you see a lot of people coming to the forums crying like they lost their best friend or toy, when in fact they have no vested interest in Xplane at all. Download the demo, if you like it great, fork over some money, if you don't, then quietly go away and find something you do like. Don't come here complaining about something your never going to support.Now, if you've purchased the product, then by all means come here and speak your peace.p.s. This is not directed at you Dude, it's a generalization.Glen

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

Well, after initially receiving the retail discs ( and that point is very important) I was quite impressed with what I had bought, even without trying the demo. I really did like what I saw. Were there some things that needed fixing / tweaking, sure there was, but overall it was a joy to use. Well since then, all it has done with the updates, is go downhill. Yes, it's actually now to the point where it sits on my desktop (screen) and collects dust, if you know what I mean. I and everyone else hope this gets sorted out soon.
Glad i still have beta 7 lol.