I think it is a time for a little perspective. This is what I flew, along with a few thousand others, circa 1983 or 1984. And you know, I was extremely excited to have this sim on my Apple ][c. This is a rendition of the Lear Jet at Meigs... How far we have come.A little history... AVSIM started a boycott of FS in 1998 - FS98. Why? Because we felt that there were too many things that went unfixed from the previous version, and that the user community was being ignored in their complaints and Microsoft's recognition of faults in FS98.You know what? The boycott did not do a thing to get FS98 removed from the shelves or from the hands of thousands of simmers around the world who were willing to take the next step in the evolution of our hobby. Admittedly, in that respect, AVSIM was short sighted.Keep it in perspective folks... Every step, no matter how it may appear to us at the moment, is indeed a step that we may only see the results or impact of a year or two, or more, from now.

Hi! Tom, maybe you did not see my request in the other thread so I'll ask again in the thread you started here...Quote from you, http://forum.avsim.n...-to-the-public/Don't shoot the messenger guys... I have a lot to say about this too, but I will hold off until reports start coming in from Las Vegas next week. The las Vegas show is now over and I'm very anxious to hear about what you have to say.Thank you.

Edited by alainneedle1

Guest jahman

I guess what's annoying is MS won't talk to us in a timely and reliable manner, communication being an essential ingredient to any relationship (human, corporate and even machine - witness the AF447 crash).Like it or not, we hardcore simmers have a relationship of sorts with Microsoft via FS going back decades in some cases with certainly many thousands of dollars spent on this hobby, as well as many thousands of hours spent in a den away from family and earthbound friends.If MSFS were a business application, why surely MS would be far more proficient at issuing timely and accurate press releases to manage customer expectations.Alas we're only the raggedy FS lot to them."Cheers",- jahman.

Are you hinting at the possibly of another Flight SIMULATOR down the road? In that case, we shouldn't preoccupy or concern ourselves with FLIGHT (the game)
I have said in a previous post or my blog, I forget which, but will say it again here...The FLIGHT Team leadership did not state that they would develop beyond FSX, nor did they say they would not. We asked that question directly, for all the obvious reasons. You draw your own conclusions.
The las Vegas show is now over and I'm very anxious to hear about what you have to say.
Alain, you need to read my blog. I think I have put my thoughts forward here as well as there. If not what you were expecting, don't hesitate to ask.

You draw your own conclusions.
That is very dangerous in this place. :(

That is very dangerous in this place. :(
Think of it as an opportunity for the half empty / half full crowd to show themselves!

Alain, you need to read my blog. I think I have put my thoughts forward here as well as there. If not what you were expecting, don't hesitate to ask.
Sorry Tom, I did not think about your blog, I'll take a look at it.Thank you.

Guest jahman
the only reason (in my opinion) that MS would have for purposefully being vague and ambiguous in such a situation is if they themselves did not know or was unsure to the answer of said question. Perhaps they are keeping it open-ended and want to see how it goes.
Spot on!
would it not be a GOOD thing that FLIGHT was shunned from the community that it abandoned first?
Not necessarily: MS could add what we hard-core raggedy lot need to MS Flight, ... at some point in the yonder future.Cheers,- jahman. Edited by jahman

Just insisting a disagreeing! It doesn't matter if the almighty God spoke!
What does that mean?

What does that mean?
That he's had too many adult beverages before posting. :(

That he's had too many adult beverages before posting. :(
:(

The FLIGHT Team leadership did not state that they would develop beyond FSX, nor did they say they would not. We asked that question directly, for all the obvious reasons. You draw your own conclusions.
Unlike the naysayers here, I still believe that Flight is a simulator, and that it is being developed for both gamers and for hard-core flight simmers.What we will have on release day is going to be a half full glass, because the Free version is just the core.Suppose for a moment that Flight was designed (at its core) to replace FSX (as some of us still believe). Perhaps the reason for not answering the question, was that Flight's growth as a simulator is dependent on how successful its DLC sales are. And no one knows how that will turn out.If I am correct, the success of Flight might just be our last foreseeable chance of progressing beyond FSX (at least from Microsoft). And the members here who are ranting against Flight, are damaging their only real chance of getting a simulator that could eventually replace FSX. Too many here are not willing to look beyond the arcade aspects of Flight (which are not all that different from the arcade aspects of FSX), and see the potential of what Flight can become.What is gained by tearing down Flight, because of what you THINK it won't ever have or won't ever be? Nothing at all, other than perhaps convincing others to never give it a chance (which could even contribute to Flight's failure).What is gained by supporting Flight? Perhaps helping to ensure the success of a new simulator platform that is fully capable of eventually surpassing FSX.Based on my instincts, I believe that Flight is going to surprise a LOT of people on this forum. Edited by Arwen

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Rough translation...."Just insisting a (on) disagreeing! It doesn't matter if the almighty God spoke!"He is just saying that the person he quoted is doing no more than insisting on being disagreeable even though it does not mean a thing to MS to actually do this. Seems pretty clear to me except for the one mispelling.It also appears that he may be right...... :( Bob

Edited by Toys_R_Us

Based on my instincts, I believe that Flight is going to surprise a LOT of people on this forum.
I've been an avid FS enthusiast since 1998 and every version delivered had major dissappointments in the area of lagging behind the existing technology of the times. While the hope for a change in this long trend of lagging behind the available existing hardware (full multi-cores, graphics card utilization, 64 bit, true game coding, etc.) ran the highest this time, the dissappointment did too when Flight came out as a stripped down same ol' - same ol' that only runs good because it was stripped clean. By the way, has anyone seen or heard anyone claim that it will run on more than one monitor besides, and with detachable components ???That said... i hope you are right.Bob - Las Cruces, NM Edited by Toys_R_Us

Well, there is somthing about this business model that troubles the heck out of me.What if Microsoft decided to bring in some 3PD entities and decides to fund their entire effort creating content, and decides how much the "skills" are worth: the cut.What if they never release an SDK and restrict these brought-in 3PDs from ever making public any aspect of any SDK that might exist?What happens to the ones left on the outside?And the most insidious aspect of this would be the lack of an opportunity, the lack of impetus given to someoneto poke around under the hood: to learn what makes these technologies tick so to speak: the insidiousness lies in theslow strangulation of creativity and the impetus to learn someting new. Without an SDK I would never have tried to learn 3D modelling: GMAX. I have since moved on to Houdini. I am forever grateful that others- Thanks again Fr. Bill_if you remember_ to stimulate myinnate curiousity.This current model leaves many years of progress behind. The fact that there are other sims to fill in the blank right now: X-Plane, DCS,1C, and other indies kinds of skews the outlook for the future,

Edited by eSimmer

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.