Sign in to follow this  
Lmaire

Suggestion for a new computer.

Hi everybody,I'll like to build a new computer for FSX, any suggestions?Thank you.

Real Deraps

do a forum search for 2500k. You'll find a lot of good builds based on that cpu

Use my signature as a starting point. Visit the hardware forum also. Lot's of post exactly like this one populate every page of the CPU/MOBO forum.http://forum.avsim.net/forum/326-mobo-ram-cpus-amp-other-hardware/

Edited by ZachLW

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I'll like to build a new computer for FSX, any suggestions?
Hmm, speaking of missing the obvious as Ken has mentioned and looking at sigs as Zach has mentioned. Why are you thinking about upgrading what you have?Your current signature states:*i7 920 2.66 DDR3, ASUS p6T Deluxe, 6GB memory, Power supply 1200W, Nvidia 260GTX 896GB, WD300GB 10000RPM 16MB, windows XP 64 bitsThe only issues I see is no sign of overclock. With that set up you could get 4.2 on air, 3.8 easily on stock cooling, so no need to upgrade what you have listed there at all for FSX other than your overclock (or adding one).

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

I'll agree with Dan. Your cheapest bet for a significant performance boost is to buy a decent cooler & oc your current rig to 4+ (if your mb bios allows oc, most store bought pc's don't). Aside from that upgrading to a gtx560ti would allow higher aa settings, so probably $250-300 to go that route.If you still want to build, the i7-2600k & i5-2500k are the cpu's of choice right now for fsx. They're cheap, have slightly better ipc than yours and generally overclock better. I haven't seen one yet that wouldn't hit atleast 4.3ghz.

Edited by MrKen

Im thinking about getting one: http://www.trademe.c...px?id=438138149 ???? what do you think?
And to add what Paul posted, I would find out the make of Motherboard first before touching that. Generic chinese parts come to mind, and as they have not stated make of MB, I would say I am close to the mark. If it is not an Asus or Gigabyte, walk away, go to your local 'puter shop and design one your self. And I certainly would not buy a computer off trademe.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

And to add what Paul posted, I would find out the make of Motherboard first before touching that. Generic chinese parts come to mind, and as they have not stated make of MB, I would say I am close to the mark. If it is not an Asus or Gigabyte, walk away, go to your local 'puter shop and design one your self. And I certainly would not buy a computer off trademe.
Two things:1. They're are no "generic Chinese" foundries producing the Z68 chipset2. Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, EGVA, and Asrock are all good manufacturers. (Gigabyte has had the most issues with the Sandy Bridge chipsets.)Let's keep the info reasonably educated in here.Oh, btw. Gigabyte is a Chinese company. ;) And Asus. And Asrock. Edited by ZachLW

___________________________________________________________________________________

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Yeah, even the big American companies (in almost any industry) are made from foreign parts and possibly, just MAYBE assembled in the US. I'm not touting US products or anything, that was just an example. Country of origin doesn't matter nearly as much as which specific factory (and sometimes shift/time of day) in that country produced it.Even if the MB is rubbish, it only costs an extra $120-180 to factor in a replacement.

Edited by MrKen

Two things:1. They're are no "generic Chinese" foundries producing the Z68 chipset2. Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, EGVA, and Asrock are all good manufacturers. (Gigabyte has had the most issues with the Sandy Bridge chipsets.)Let's keep the info reasonably educated in here.Oh, btw. Gigabyte is a Chinese company. ;) And Asus. And Asrock.
Taiwanese :)

Just chipping in with a very basic question:Is it really necessary to buy a cooler and/or better power supply?

The CPU cooler keeps the most important, expensive part of your PC cool.The Power supply should be quality, as it's failure could fry your whole system. Corsair and Seasonic have a reputation for great PSUs. It's no surprise Corsair uses Seasonic's X chassis on many of their PSUs. Anyway, 500W is enough for a single GPU and CPU overclock, but it leaves little headroom.

Taiwanese :)
Pardon me. Republic of China. Either way, You agree. I know you do. Edited by ZachLW

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Pardon me. Republic of China. Either way, You agree. I know you do.
no, I don't agree, but who cares

The CPU cooler keeps the most important, expensive part of your PC cool.The Power supply should be quality, as it's failure could fry your whole system. Corsair and Seasonic have a reputation for great PSUs. It's no surprise Corsair uses Seasonic's X chassis on many of their PSUs. Anyway, 500W is enough for a single GPU and CPU overclock, but it leaves little headroom.
Thanks for the info.And for a cooler, also Corsair?