Sign in to follow this  
Luis_KMIA

Getting an "out of memory" message lately

As you can see from the specs in my signature file, they are adequate for the NGX. I've been running the NGX very smoothly since its release. Lately, however, I'm getting an "out of memory" message followed by a CTD. I do not plan on posting a trouble ticket until I hear some feedback from other users.As far as isolating the problem. It is happening using the NGX toward the end of flights approaching the FSDT KLAX airport and the running the ORBX full terrain scenery approaching KSEA and also approaching the ORBX version of YMML. I've tried other flights with default FSX airports and some Latin VFR airports, and everything is OK. I also have 93GB free in a 256GB SSD dedicated to FSX only. I'll keep monitoring.Also, I have not made any changes to my system or added new software. Luis Linares

Edited by Luis_KMIA

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

Luis, I have nearly the same specs as you. Never had any OOM however with it.If i would guess I think it´s because you have 3GB for your 580GTX card.I have 1.5GB but the same card and I have this line added in cfg.[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580.0]VideoMemoryOverride=1610612736// This is for an 1,5GB card, so it only use up to 1GB insteadI have seen but forgot what those last figures should be for an 3GB card, butmaybe you could search for it.A 3GB card is way to much for FSX I´m afraid. Recommended is 1GB./ Leffe

Edited by Leffe

I think i upped my memory allocation using the settings in windows to 10 000 from whatever it was. Since then I have had no OOM errors. Its the amount of space on your HDD used for memory. Even though you have loads of RAM this might help. I'm at work so cant find the exact route to change this setting at the moment. Andy

Edited by Andy10r

Luis, I have nearly the same specs as you. Never had any OOM however with it.If i would guess I think it´s because you have 3GB for your 580GTX card.I have 1.5GB but the same card and I have this line added in cfg.[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580.0]VideoMemoryOverride=1610612736// This is for an 1,5GB card, so it only use up to 1GB insteadI have seen but forgot what those last figures should be for an 3GB card, butmaybe you could search for it.A 3GB card is way to much for FSX I´m afraid. Recommended is 1GB./ Leffe
I think Leffe has hit the nail on the head. This is appears to be not uncommon with 3Gb cards and this issue has been posted elsewhere on the Avsim forum. I won't pretend I completely understand, but it appears to be asociated with VAS and the GPU memory. If my memory (no pun intended) serves me well, I seem to remember a post from Robert at PMDG also suggesting that GPUs with more than 1.5gb can prove troublesome. Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

VideoMemoryOverride=1610612736
Will this fix OOM issues, do you think? I only get them when I've been running FSX on pause for day or so, then I complete the paused flight and then close and re-open FSX without rebooting..What else might this command achieve or is it only a limitation flag?I never knew there was issues with >1Gb grafx cards! Learn something new every day..

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

I never knew there was issues with >1Gb grafx cards! Learn something new every day..
Was that a typo? Did you mean 3GB?There is no issue with Video Cards with 1gb and this is actually the recommended amount. However some people have other games and/or want to use a 30 inch monitor or HDTV with FSX. These high resolutions above 1920x1080 res require the extra memory. Edited by UAL115

Look closer it says >1Gb which mean "greater than". BUt yes the graphics memory uses system memory space so it all adds up. Have too much graphics memory and then you wont have enough system memory so you may well run out even though you think you have heaps.

As you can see from the specs in my signature file, they are adequate for the NGX. I've been running the NGX very smoothly since its release. Lately, however, I'm getting an "out of memory" message followed by a CTD. I do not plan on posting a trouble ticket until I hear some feedback from other users.As far as isolating the problem. It is happening using the NGX toward the end of flights approaching the FSDT KLAX airport and the running the ORBX full terrain scenery approaching KSEA and also approaching the ORBX version of YMML. I've tried other flights with default FSX airports and some Latin VFR airports, and everything is OK. I also have 93GB free in a 256GB SSD dedicated to FSX only. I'll keep monitoring.Also, I have not made any changes to my system or added new software.Luis Linares
Are you using ONE ot TWO monitors on your system, and what Size Resolution(s) and Color Resolution(s) you are using.The higher the Resolution, the more GPU ram used = more CPU ram used to match = more likely to run out of addressable CPU memory for FSX = more likely to crash the PC.

Luis LinaresWindows 7-64FSX Gold <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Intel Core i7 27000 (4.6 Overclock) Quad Core16GB DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz3GB GeForce GTX 580, GDDR5256GB SSD
Install FSX SP2.Best regards,Robin.

Install FSX SP2.Best regards,Robin.
He already has SP2 installed otherwise the NGX would not run.SP2 and Acceleration is pretty much the same thing without the extra planes and the headaches of scenery incompatibilities.I had the gold edition with Acceleration installed long time ago. Last time I did a format I just installed FSX without acceleration but with SP1 SP2. FSX is much more reliable and stable without Acceleration installed. Edited by UAL115

Thanks for all the input. I have one monitor, and I run my desktop and FSX both at 1920 x 1200. I was not aware of the the memory issue with GPUs, so I will try the suggestion to chenge the disply entry on FSX.cfgI'll report back.Thanks again.Luis Linares

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580.0]VideoMemoryOverride=1610612736// This is for an 1,5GB card, so it only use up to 1GB insteadI have seen but forgot what those last figures should be for an 3GB card, butmaybe you could search for it.
Actually, 1610612736 would limit it to 1.5GB, but that's still a valid number for the OP to use.
I think i upped my memory allocation using the settings in windows to 10 000 from whatever it was. Since then I have had no OOM errors. Its the amount of space on your HDD used for memory. Even though you have loads of RAM this might help. I'm at work so cant find the exact route to change this setting at the moment. Andy
You're confusing this with virtual memory, where the PC caches extra info on the hard drive. Two very different things. Our concern here is VAS (virtual address space) which doesn't concern storage at all, only RAM and video memory (since FSX shadows everything in your video memory to RAM, it counts toward the VAS limit)
I think Leffe has hit the nail on the head. This is appears to be not uncommon with 3Gb cards and this issue has been posted elsewhere on the Avsim forum. I won't pretend I completely understand, but it appears to be asociated with VAS and the GPU memory. If my memory (no pun intended) serves me well, I seem to remember a post from Robert at PMDG also suggesting that GPUs with more than 1.5gb can prove troublesome.
Robert and Ryan have indeed mentioned that a good number of their OOM tickets are caused by 3GB video cards. 1-1.5GB appears to be the ideal balance point between giving your video card enough memory to do its job & running out of VAS. To the OP, I'd recommend finding the entry in your fsx.cfg for your video card and adding the videomemoryoverride line exactly as Leffe posted, give it 3 or 4 test flights & report back.

I am sure its to do with the page file allocation on your HDD. As i said i had exactly the same but then changed it to 10k and fixed. Have a look on google but its only a 2 min job at most. Andy

Edited by Andy10r

Found this post on the net./ Leffe1 MB = 1024 bytes * 1024 = 1048576 bytes, so:1 GB = 1 MB * 1024 = 1048576 * 1024 = 10737418241.5 GB = 1073741824 * 1.5 = 16106127362 GB = 1073741824 * 2 = 21474836483 GB = 1073741824 * 3 = 3221225472and so on...For 856 MB. it's 0.785 GB, so then would be 1 GB * 0.875 = 1073741824 * 0.875 = 939524096Cheers from Spain guys!

Gerard Cabezón

The line seems to have done the trick[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580.0]VideoMemoryOverride=1610612736So if I change it to 3221225472 can I still avoid the OOM? Did I waste a couple of hundred dollars for going 3GB?Thanks for all the new info. I learn something new about this simulator often it seems. Luis Linares

LUIS LINARES