Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

Just some questions...

I just can't stop thinking about these.... lol1. Does Auto Throttle remain on during landing, or are you supposed to turn it off at say 300 feet the manually control the throttle? Or, when you land and engage RT, does it turn off automatically?2. Does Flight Director (both) need to be on during landing as well?3. When taking off, do you first: a) push throttle all the way forward then engage TO/GA (via the hidden button or on the throttle) :( push throttle to 40% then engage TO/GA? I've learned, and always have done, b, but I'm just checking.4. Does the Speed Brake need to be armed? Mine always kicks in when I turn on RT after landing, regardless if I had it on Armed or not.5. The "SET FSX LOC" setting on the FMC (PMDG SETUP) should change the omnibearing heading on the MCP from what I set it to using the FMC's data to what FSX has it, correct? I had the option on once but when on final approach, it would automatically change +1. So say it was 105, it would change to 106 or 107. So for now, I have it turned off. Any ideas for this?Thanks! :( EDIT:lol... failed tags. I mean NGX not NXG. :(

Edited by linux731

1.) Continental trains there pilots to disengage the autothrottles at 50 feet and to idle at 30ft2) you don't have to have any flight directors on during landing. Normaly however, both are on.3.) Autothrottle is armed when you pull onto the runway, then spool up to 40% then press toga4) during take off, the speedbrake lever should not be armed5)FSX is running off of 7 year old data so many of the courses that FSX uses for runways are outdated. The fms has the updated data, so when you pull up the approach page on the FMS the course it shows there is correct for todays flying but it isnt for the 7 year old data in FSX. PMDG created a way to change the course selected in the mcp to match what FSX has so your approaches will be correct by FSX datamitch bowman

1) AT must be disconnected each time the AP is OFF, it is not allowed to use AT alone.2) On classics the flight directors automatically appears on landing and TOGA also if they are turned off, however, In NG may be different. But, generally, for landing, there is no need for both.3) Advance to 40% and check the engine spool up, let stabilize a bit and push toga.4) We are speaking about landing? They were armed for automatic function, however, if you will use reversers, the speedbrakes will extend upon thrust rev extension, also if not armed. So, not a good procedure, but, if you are sure to use reversers, you could not arm them and they will extend. When you will advance the throttles the actuator will retract them.For take off, the spoilers must not be armed, however in the NGX there is a wrong logic where if you advance throttles the lever will be always stowed.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

1) AT must be disconnected each time the AP is OFF, it is not allowed to use AT alone.
Never heard of that!I always take-off and fly -at least- up to 400 AGL with AP off and A/T on. Don't think it's bad to do so as long as you follow the FD.

Maybe it is only a certification issue, there is no mention on the manuals, as far as I seen.I was unsure for NGs, and it was for sure a limitation for the classics, but here in another thread, someone confirmed that this limitation is present also on the NGs.It could be related to the engine accel/decel times, something that in manual mode could result in strange behaviours, but not sure about this.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

Andrea, usage of AT is mainly not recommended in spped control mode. In TO/GA it is OK of course, but also in N1LIM mode for ex in climb.One of the reasons A/T usage with aoutopilot off is not recommended, is that A/T has no idea of pilots intentions and may effectively counteract the pilots movements since it has some delay, and also the other way, if the pilot does not expect throttle going up, he can not couteract rotation moment from underslung enignes. It is thus recommended that pilot has all control in fully manual flight so he can use all four axis (roll, pitch, yaw and power) simultaneously and to the same goal.That also explains why A/T usage in holding a limit is not a problem.